The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 26, 2001, 06:12 AM   #1
DocSWAT

Need Help - I am just beginning to RE-LOAD

I have decided to go to the dark-side (the other-side of shooting) and begin to re-load. I was looking in some re-loading books and noticed several companies selling several types of items--RCBS, Lee, Dillon....

I will be re-loading 45 ACP-230, 9mm, and some 223.

First what is considered the BEST re-loading equipment in terms of reliability and quality?

Next WHAT equipment will I need--some friends have suggested a ditigital dispensore, and scale and Dillion 650 equipment.

WHat equipment do I need?

Many Thanks
Old July 26, 2001, 06:23 AM   #2
Dan Morris

My personal opinion is that you can't beat RCBS. Customer service
is tops, you should never need it though. Quality is excellent
and I've used them about 40 years with no problems.
Just read the manuals and don't try to hotdog it.
Welcome to the other side of shooting!
Dan
Old July 26, 2001, 06:32 AM   #3
Bud Helms

I have decided to go to the dark-side and begin to re-load. I was looking in some re-loading books and noticed several companies selling several types of items--RCBS, Lee, Dillon....

I will be re-loading 45 ACP-230, 9mm, and some 223.

First what is considered the BEST re-loading equipment in terms of reliability and quality?

(By all accounts, the Dillon brand is the most popular and the brand most long-time reloaders end up using. Most, not all. I use it and recommend it. However, the BEST equipment in reliability and quality may not be the BEST to start with. A little clarification here ... all the brands are reliable and high quality. You can't go wrong with the most inexpensive brands. It takes some time on the reloading bench before you decide what's best for you. Even though I don't think you can go wrong with Dillon, you don't have to start with a $200 press. You can start with a $35 Lee Challenger and load the same quality of ammo. It's much more educational and some say safer for a starting reloader.)

Next WHAT equipment will I need--some friends have suggested a ditigital dispensore, and scale and Dillion 650 equipment.

(Digital dispensers and scales and Dillon 650s are very high end equipment. I don't recommend STARTING with that unless you can easily afford it. Very expensive.)

WHat equipment do I need?

(As many reloading manuals as you can get your hands on. Read them thoroughly. There is sooooo much info in them that is overlooked. Then start using the search engine on TFL and read some more.)

Many Thanks

(You are too welcome.)
Old July 26, 2001, 06:37 AM   #4
DAVID NANCARROW

Take a long look at all the threads around here as to reloading equipment. For progressive loading presses, the Dillon seems to be the favorite. For pistols, I use a progressive press, and prefer to load rifle ammo singly. Among the items you will need is:
1. A couple of good reloading manuals, minimum. I have 4 current.
2. Dial calipers.
3. Scale.
4. (for rifle) case trimmer.
5. Set of dies for each caliber you load for. For pistols, spend the
money and get carbide dies.
6. Case lube and pad for the rifle cases.
7. A good scale.
8. Primer pocket cleaner.
9. Chamfering tool.
10. Primer seater.
You'll find out more about what you want as you go along. RCBS sells a package which has all this and more their Rock Chucker press kit, and it is well worth it.
Old July 26, 2001, 07:16 AM   #5
WESHOOT2

MANDATORY

Safety glasses must be worn while handling ANYTHING but a load manual.
Always.
Without exception.
Each and EVERY TIME you are ready to touch ANYTHING but a book.
Really.

Please.

----------------------------------------

"all my eyeballs are factory eyeballs"
Old July 26, 2001, 11:47 AM   #6
sundog

WESHOOT2, that's funny. Factory eyeballs. I guess you're right, the body does come equipped with factory installed eyeballs. Problem is, there are no replacements parts (for the most part). So y'all get a good set of safety glasses, and WEAR THEM! Should be number 1 item on anyone's list.

Now as far as 'dark side'. Come on over and see the light. It's the rest of the world that's in the dark (and they don't even know it).
Old July 26, 2001, 03:12 PM   #7
DocSWAT

THanks

I'll be purchasing some Dillon then and the other accessories here--the expense part I'm not to concerned about--Thanks Again
Old July 26, 2001, 07:32 PM   #8
David Wile

Hey folks,

I really like my Hornady L&L progressive press, but I really cannot imagine the idea of my bench without a single stage press. I have been using a Rock Chucker for 35 years or more, and I still use it more than my progressive. There are some things one may do in the reloading business that are best done on a single stage press, and I find I do these types of things more now than I did in years past.

For me, I really like using the progressive, but I also "need" the single stage.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Old July 27, 2001, 04:11 AM   #9
Bushwacker

You might want to look at the RCBS Rock Chucker Kit. It has everything a beginner needs. Not that it is for beginners but many long time reloaders use them. Excellent press and scales. Also comes with a case trimmer,trickler and Speer reloading manuel, funnel, lube pad, primer arm and tubes,powder measure,etc. I think they are around $250.00
Old July 29, 2001, 08:18 PM   #10
Waitone

Do an archive search on this forum. Your question has been dealt with on numerous occasions.