The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old September 30, 2015, 06:52 AM   #1
BoogieMan

Some Garand refinish advice

I picked up a IHC from gunbroker. Looks pretty good but the barrel looks like it would be better for bird shot than rifle bullets. If I expect to get any kind of acceptable accuracy from this thing I need to put on a new barrel.
I am considering getting a new GI barrel and fitting it myself at a cost of about $300 with shipping and reamer rental. This leaves the original finish (well worn) on all the other parts.
Second option is to send it out and have someone like Deans install the barrel as well as re-park the entire gun. I havent added it all up, but I think total will be around $500. I am a little up in the air if I should re-park or leave as is with new barrel. Also can anyone tell me if that is a IHC stock?
This is no museum piece by any stretch of the imagination. I dont think that the value of the rifle is going to be affected either way.

Your tactics suck"
- Unknown

Last edited by BoogieMan; September 30, 2015 at 07:01 AM.
Old September 30, 2015, 06:56 AM   #2
BoogieMan

Stock pics.

Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old September 30, 2015, 07:14 AM   #3
Dave P

That metal has seen better days ... re-park may cover up some of that pitting.

Does the rcvr have a Fed Ordinance stamp on it??
Old September 30, 2015, 07:49 AM   #4
BoogieMan

Quote:
Does the rcvr have a Fed Ordinance stamp on it??
It does not. Is there any significance to that?
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old September 30, 2015, 08:33 AM   #5
mapsjanhere

Not sure on the "value not affected" statement. IHC guns seem to be demanding an unreasonable surcharge. The question I have and Dave eluded to is if you rebarrel an import marked gun to not have import marks (the Federal Ordnance stamp) do you violate any rules?
Old September 30, 2015, 08:57 AM   #6
BoogieMan

I didnt even notice that stamp until Dave P pointed it out. I did a quick google and found out that Fed Ord did some importing, re-armoring, and manufacturing. This receiver is very clear to be an original IHC, not welded halves, not a cast re-pop or anything else like that.
I dont know if its a re-import or a re-arsenal by Fed Ord
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old September 30, 2015, 11:03 AM   #7
highpower3006

The barrel is an original IHC barrel (LMR was the subcontractor). The Fed Ord stamp is just on there because it was imported back into the US after 1968.

There is no problem with any of the alphabet agencies with removing the import stamp. I am usually always in favor of leaving the original finish on a gun, but quite frankly, that one is in bad enough condition to warrant a refinish along with the new barrel.
Old September 30, 2015, 11:07 AM   #8
BoogieMan

I used a hornady 30-06 cartridge to get some idea of ME. The case mouth will almost start. I didnt MIC it, but I would estimate the muzzle to be in the .350 range.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old September 30, 2015, 12:51 PM   #9
T. O'Heir

If you're spending the money for a new barrel, have it refinished too. Highly unlikely you like its looks with a new finished barrel and a worn finished receiver.
"...Fed Ordinance..." ORDNANCE! An ordinance is a law.
Old September 30, 2015, 03:00 PM   #10
kilimanjaro

It's kind of like working on your car, as long as you have the radiator off, might as well replace the water pump. I'd go ahead and refinish to whatever level you are comfortable paying for, doesn't seem like you lose any money.
Old September 30, 2015, 03:13 PM   #11
BoogieMan

I ws kind of leaning toward the full re-park job anyway. I am going to send it off to Shuffs and let him install a new barrel, re-park and go over the entire thing. The pitting looks bad but it isnt very deep. I think that once its glass beaded and parked it will be hard to notice.

What about the stock? Can anyone confirm that its IHC? How should I go about cleaning it up. I dont want to sand it very much but I would like it to look close to original condition as a 60 year old war horse can.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old September 30, 2015, 03:28 PM   #12
kilimanjaro

From what I can see of the stock in the photos, I'd just wipe it down and use it as it is, looks pretty good to me, and what I'd expect a Korean War era rifle to look like.
Old September 30, 2015, 09:45 PM   #13
James K
Member In Memoriam

I would like to see better pix of the receiver, both sides. What I see may just be pitting, but it could also be signs of welding where halves of receivers demilled by cutting in half were welded together and sold.

Jim
Old October 1, 2015, 04:16 AM   #14
BoogieMan

James k- is there a particular are that would make you suspect that? As a well schooled and experienced machinist I can usually pick up on a weld pretty quickly. I will inspect it again. But, if it were welded I would have to think it would have also been re-parked at the same time. This does not appear to have ever been refinished.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old October 1, 2015, 05:02 AM   #15
Orlando

Yes it is a IHC stock. Is there a stamp on left side or has it been sanded off?
Since your rifle has worn pitted finished and barrel is worn and Import marked you will not hurt value whatsoever by refinishing and changing barrel
Shuffs is the best, you will be very please with his work and prices
Old October 1, 2015, 06:25 PM   #16
James K
Member In Memoriam

The cuts were made at the point between the receiver "legs" and of course the welds are in that area. At first glance, many folks take the weld signs for corrosion and ignore them. The pics look a bit ambiguous, which is why I asked, but if you are sure there is no sign of welds, I am sure you are correct.
Magnafluxing would tell for sure.

Jim
Old October 2, 2015, 06:38 AM   #17
BoogieMan

Jim- I inspected the receiver inside and our and I'm comfortable that it has not been welded. The pits that you mentioned are all along the wood line and have honest corosion. All the machining marks on inside are continouse and the internal parts are tight in the receiver. I don't have magnaflux testing on sight, we always send out when required for DOD etc... so that's not an option I'm willing to pursue.
Going to remove barrel and box it up over weekend. Monday it will be on its way to park and new barrel.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old November 6, 2015, 04:02 PM   #18
jmstr

If you haven't finished your project or tumbled across them, I give my vote to Fulton Armory, in Maryland.

They gave my Garand the once-over and installed a new barrel. It wasn't refinished though.

I am very very happy with the work done, and have no problems with them doing anything I need done in the future.

Just my $.02
Old November 6, 2015, 09:11 PM   #19
BoogieMan

I need to update the pics. I received the rifle back from schufs (spelling?).
They did a great job imo. The rifle looks much better, most of the pitting below the stock is no longer visible and with the stock installed the metal looks like it just rolled out of the international plant. They reassembled and greased everything as well as did a 3.5lb trigger job. I need to get some range time and also get some pics posted.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old November 7, 2015, 05:53 AM   #20
Orlando

Yup, Shuffs is the man