The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old February 23, 2015, 02:31 PM   #1
Kansas Shooter

HK 94/MP5 Questions

I could not find this covered in the NFA section of this board and have researched on other sites until my eyes hurt. The other day I came across an ad listing a parts kit for an HK 94/MP5. All parts were advertised as NIB, German, and LSC flats are included. It has a S-E-F trigger pack that is said to be a host for full-auto. The seller indicated that if the parts were shipped to Turner Fabrications to be welded and put together, the assembly would be discounted. I priced some of Turner's other builds, and found that I would come out ahead by buying the kit and having Turner put it together (that's even considering the cost of my stamp). I've researched Turner's shop a little on other sites I don't belong to, and saw some very good reviews. These are probably questions for the seller and builder, but I wanted to ask them here before I made any contact with either; please forgive me if this has been beaten death in the past...

I'm guessing that Turner Fab. is a Type II S.O.T. and will transfer the complete gun to my dealer in KS since he is the one "building the SBR". Will he in turn engrave his company's information since he is the one building it?

I have always thought the upper receiver of HK's is the registered part of the firearm; does LSC issue a serial number with their flats, or am I completely mistaken?

And lastly, the parts kit comes with a fixed stock with the sling mount on the right side; is a different stock required for a sling to be mounted for a left-handed shooter? There does not appear a way to switch it from one side to the other.

Again, my apologies for what may be basic knowledge - any thoughts are much appreciated.
Old February 23, 2015, 04:51 PM   #2
Machineguntony

Kansas Shooter,

At this very moment, I have a manufacturer building me a similar gun that you are describing, with similar parts to what you are describing. I am not SBRing my gun, rather I am leaving it as a pistol, attaching an A2 stock, and inserting a registered trigger box (without a registered machine gun part, you will need to SBR the gun, or else you can not legally attach a stock).

Here is what the manufacturer explained to me, as regards to your questions...

1. He must engrave his company's name and information. He can do certain things to make it less intrusive or obvious, but he must engrave his name if he is creating the gun.

2. The LSC flats are not serialized. They put a serial number on them once they roll it into a receiver.

3. The F kits have an ambidextrous sling. I do not know what kind of kit was in your ad, but mine is not ambidextrous. I am a left handed shooter, and I never bother with using a sling. The F kits have a U shaped tab that is welded into the bottom on the front sight tower.

If you have the gun built, please post some pictures. We love pictures!

Last edited by Machineguntony; February 23, 2015 at 05:07 PM.
Old February 24, 2015, 09:56 AM   #3
Kansas Shooter

Thanks Tony; I had a general idea of the build and transfer might work out, but wanted to hear from someone who had experience with something similar. What drew me to the parts advertised was the cost and that they were NIB from Germany. I believe it is an older kit (the grip has a thumb-rest for a right-handed shooter and the sling mounts are on the lt. side. I may very well hold off now until I come across an F Kit that would be ambidextrous. I'm not sure I will ever convert it to select-fire, but I like the thought of having the option of the gun being a host in the future. I'll be sure to post some pictures if I ever go through with one of these kits; I was not able to copy the URL address of the picture in the ad to post here (I didn't want to copy and paste the image).
Marty
Old March 15, 2015, 08:36 PM   #4
Machineguntony

Old March 15, 2015, 09:19 PM   #5
Theohazard

Hahahahahaha! Tony, that's priceless.
Old March 15, 2015, 09:51 PM   #6
Willie Lowman

Classic.
Old March 16, 2015, 03:46 PM   #7
SPEMack618

Tony, you're my hero of the day for that.
Old March 21, 2015, 12:25 PM   #8
Machineguntony

Thanks, gentlemen.

Here is the finished product with an A2 stock.

There are some who say that the roller sear results in a smoother action. I can't tell the difference between a pack that has a roller sear and a friction sear.
Old March 22, 2015, 02:32 PM   #9
Kansas Shooter

Quote:
Here is the finished product with an A2 stock.
Congratulations on the nice set-up, Tony. The above quotes with Mr. 94 pistol and baby auto sear are classic; I'm glad the Mrs. finally got home to round out the family!

If and when I buy a de-milled MP5/94 parts kit, I'll upload some pictures. I first need to get an upper for my AR SBR lower that I sprung from jail a few months ago (it will be a MK18 Block I. clone).
Old April 22, 2015, 06:41 PM   #10
4V50 Gary
Staff

That roller sear sounds just like the roller frizzen used in some British flintlocks. The difference in performance? Not noticeable by the user.
Old April 24, 2015, 11:35 AM   #11
Machineguntony

I just love having the registered trigger box. They'll, for sure, last way longer than the registered sears; they're indestructible, short of being thrown in a volcano. Also, they use all factory parts.

There is not a single registered trigger box for sale, in the entire country. I need another one.