The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 20, 2014, 11:54 AM   #1
marine6680

Winchester SXP Defender mini review

Picked up one of these recently.

When looking for a home shotgun, I looked at several makes and models. The basic models of the Remington 870, and Mossberg 500... The Maverick, the Stevens 320... And a few other brands in that price range. I even looked at some more expensive models from Remington and Mossberg, even Beretta and others up in price.

In the end, I felt for a light use gun that would sit unused most times and be shot little...

I needed simple, reliable, decent build quality, and reasonable price.

Do I really need a $1000 shotgun that can shoot 50,000 rounds without breakage and cleaning... Not really... Not if I can get trust my life reliability from a basic gun at half the cost. I am not in a harsh combat zone nor do I need a gun for hard competition.

So I eliminated anything over the $450-500 range.

Then looking at the sub $300, (many around $200 and a little less) I found a few that felt solid over all, but felt rough... And looked it as well. So while they felt capable, the overall was less inspiring, and the roughness of the action and finish was a little off putting. So I eliminated the $250 and less range. (Though some of the cheaper Turkey made versions seemed decent)

Fancy stocks and sights... While nice, are not really needed, so lets not look at those versions too hard.

This lead me again to the two big names in defensive shotguns.Remington and Mossberg. The basic models can be had for around $350-400 depending on the store.

I tried out a Mossberg 500, and it felt good, I liked the safety a lot. Then I tried the Remington 870, it was nice (Not as nice as a wing master, but built well if not plain) though I was less of a fan of the safety and bolt unlock control position. One thing, it felt more solid than the Mossberg. The 500 just felt looser and less solid than the 870.

So a more solid gun vs one with better controls... Then I noticed the Winchester sitting on the shelf and I asked to see it.

It felt nice, good and solid and well put together. Fit and finish were definitely better than the 500 and 870 I had sitting on the counter beside it... Well the 870 might match its fit pretty well, not the finish as much. The control locations were good as well, the safety was not as nicely located as the 500, but there are worse places for a safety than the front of the trigger gaurd.

It was even a good bit cheaper than the other two. Almost a full bill less. (And online it was even cheaper, $260 from one place) So cheaper, solid build, good finish, useable controls... I think I found the one.

So I researched a bit online, and nothing off putting reared its head.

But aftermarket, it just isn't there for this gun... But I really wasn't looking for that ability anyway. A quick Google showed at least a few stock options if I was so inclined, and generic flashlight mounts that clamp to the barrel and mag tube would work just as well on it as any other pump, or the railed forend I found would work if I so chose.

So I decided to just go for it. Barring any major mechanical screwups, it would fulfill the task I needed it for nicely.

So as you probably figured out, I like the fit and finish. The build is solid. A feeling that continued when I gave it a cleaning before taking out for test firing.

Field strip is typical pump action, and no oddities encountered for the process.

No problems with the test firing, tested everything from target loads to 3 inch mag buckshot. The only thing was that low brass target loads did not want to load into the mag as easily as others. Seems the lip of the brass catches someting, as a little wiggle usually freed the shell to pop in. This seems common to other owners of this model. They did report that it went away after a few loadings. Not an issue as this is not a shotgun to load up with target loads... This is a defensive arm, so buckshot is the go to ammo.

The only thing I am not a fan of, and it isn't so much related to the SXP, but almost all short barreled shotguns... And that is cylinder bore.

It works fine across a typical room, but larger rooms, open areas or long halls can create distances where the shot pattern can open up to 10 inches or more depending on load. An improved cylinder or modified would tighten things up some and still allow use of slugs with no I'll effect.

The SXP Marine versions and the "extreme" models offer the ability to use chokes. A feature the 870 and 500 do not have I do believe. The marine version is only about $50 more than the basic version, and if you like the hard chrome finish, all the better.

Overall I am very happy with the Winchester SXP, and I think others should give it a serious look if in the market. Though some may be turned off by the import nature of the gun... I do think it is a better made option in the price range it sells in.
Old May 20, 2014, 01:40 PM   #2
vba

Sounds like you put a lot of thought into the SXP and I'm sure you will like it.

Remington does offer a tactical model with a stupid removable breaching choke installed, I bought this gun and installed an improved cylinder choke. Anyway, the gun you have, with the cylinder bore, will work just fine.
Old May 20, 2014, 04:22 PM   #3
marine6680

Good that you can get a model with a choke. I would think the 500s with similar muzzle devices may be able to use chokes.

I do like the SXP, to me, it seems the better put together one in the price range.
Old May 21, 2014, 05:52 AM   #4
jcn

Picked mine up a month ago after being a Mossberg devotee for years. I had to sell a safe full of 500's in various sporting/h.d. configurations last year to help cover chemo deductibles.

Times are better, so I went with the full intention of a replacement Persuader, but decided to take a chance on the SXP after a side-by-side comparison. I agree that when it comes to features, fit, finish, and price the Winchester beats Remington and Mossberg hands down!

And marine6680, the loading issues with low-brass shells seems to be a common problem with these guns. However, after 100 rounds of Winchester Ammunition's cheap target/break-in load, I think my thumb found the magic formula. And if I knew what I was doing right, I'd be glad to tell you.
But I'm really impressed with the gun, it's safe to say that my field and slug guns will be SXP's as well.

regards,
Jeff
Old May 21, 2014, 08:22 AM   #5
marine6680

Yeah, I found the way to get them in. Just apply a little pressure in the right direction as you push them in.

I believe it was a little pressure up (forward the bottom of the receiver) as you push in. Then it seems to pop in easy.

Having an old 1200 of my dads made for pretty good familiarity with the internals. But even then most will figure out how to tear down the bolt if desired without much trouble. Just watch for springs if you do, there is one and a spacer that can go flying when you remove the can pin... If you are not careful.
Old May 21, 2014, 08:44 AM   #6
MarkCO

You will be very happy with it. I have a FNH P12 which is basically the same gun. If they interest you, they are one of the few shotguns that run the Aguila mini-shells reliably...can get more in the tube. They have birdshot, buck and slugs.
Old May 21, 2014, 09:03 AM   #7
jcn

MarkCO:

That's good to know. Sounds like a promising idea for all types of "pest control".

regards,
Jeff
Old May 21, 2014, 11:01 AM   #8
marine6680

That's good to know. I have not seen any of those, but I have seen some short buckshot loads at Cabelas.
Old May 21, 2014, 02:35 PM   #9
MarkCO

Midway gets them in and they sell out in a few days, but you can put a "notify" on them and pick them up when they come back in stock.

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortby...earchscope=all
Old May 21, 2014, 05:05 PM   #10
dgludwig

You got a good, reliable shotgun at a good price ( I paid $279.99 for mine last year). It'll do everything you want it to do and more (Okay, there are better trap guns out there ).
Old May 21, 2014, 05:12 PM   #11
marine6680

Looked at the P12.

FN says assembled in their Portugal facility. To me, that means that they make the parts in Turkey, with the Winchester parts. Then they ship the parts for assembly.

It also tells me that they have faith in the design and parts. Moving the assembly is simply to have direct control over that part of the process.

From what I have seen of the Turkey made guns, they make a good product.
Old May 21, 2014, 06:11 PM   #12
marine6680

They do make a trap version.

My fiancé needs a shotgun for clays... She likes the Winchester, but I can't convince her on getting one.

She had her heart set on a Beretta, Browning, or Benelli target model... At five times the cost!
Old May 22, 2014, 12:22 PM   #13
dgludwig

If she'll be shooting a lot of clays and is at all recoil sensitive, a gas-operated gun might be the best route, even if they do cost more.
Old May 22, 2014, 07:54 PM   #14
marine6680

She was adverse at first, but a bit of trading and a good butt pad helped that.
Old June 1, 2014, 06:40 PM   #15
Nickel Plated

Have had my SXP Field for a while now. Since they don't make 18" barrels for the 4-shot Field variants I ended up cutting down the 28" that came with it and buying a 26" barrel for busting clays. It's nice that winchester puts the rib supports in a way that cutting it at exactly 18.25" lands you right in the middle of a rib support. It's almost as if they were meant to be sawed off.

The rotary bolt is the best part of this gun to me. Very quick to cycle and get a follow up shot.
But better stock up on ammo. You burn through it quick at the range.
First time I went clay shooting I figured 200 rounds would be enough to last me the day. About 30 minutes later I was standing there with a smoking shotgun and 2 empty boxes next to me thinking "That's it? Damn, the gun shop closes in 15 minutes. I gotta go get more ammo."
Old June 1, 2014, 09:38 PM   #16
marine6680

I can't go through but a few boxes... After that I am getting tired.
Old June 30, 2014, 01:33 PM   #17
alaskabushman

Nice mini-review! I posted a thread last year asking for info and opinions on the many shotgun models available. I too was looking for something affordable, but not junk. I personally didn't own a pump gun (though my wife has a 870 in 20 Ga), and knew I needed one in my collection. After a lot of looking around I settled on the Winchester SXP Field Combo. I wanted a reliable gun for home defense and to take camping with the family to keep bears at bay. However I also hunt waterfowl and thus wanted a gun that had a longer barrel and that accepted chokes. The SXP combo was just the ticket. With two barrels, an 18'' barrel and a 26'' barrel with 3 chokes, at $430 it was affordable.

Now, after a waterfowl season, and shooting the gun LOTS, I can say I love it. The biggest thing I see people complain about is the lack of accessories, which to me is a minor issue. There is at least one company who makes an aftermarket tactical stock and fore-end with rails. I have no current plans for "tacticalizing" my budget shotgun.

I think people should take a harder look at the SXP before dismissing it, its well made and the inertia assisted pump action makes is pretty darned fast with practice.
Old June 30, 2014, 01:42 PM   #18
alaskabushman

Nice mini-review! I posted a thread last year asking for info and opinions on the many shotgun models available. I too was looking for something affordable, but not junk. I personally didn't own a pump gun (though my wife has a 870 in 20 Ga), and knew I needed one in my collection. After a lot of looking around I settled on the Winchester SXP Field Combo. I wanted a reliable gun for home defense and to take camping with the family to keep bears at bay. However I also hunt waterfowl and thus wanted a gun that had a longer barrel and that accepted chokes. The SXP combo was just the ticket. With two barrels, an 18'' barrel and a 26'' barrel with 3 chokes, at $430 it was affordable.

Now, after a waterfowl season, and shooting the gun LOTS, I can say I love it. The biggest thing I see people complain about is the lack of accessories, which to me is a minor issue. There is at least one company who makes an aftermarket tactical stock and fore-end with rails. I have no current plans for "tacticalizing" my budget shotgun.

I think people should take a harder look at the SXP before dismissing it, its well made and the inertia assisted pump action makes is pretty darned fast with practice.
Old June 30, 2014, 03:19 PM   #19
jcn

alaskabushman:

Since purchasing an SXP Defender a while back, I've added a 26" barreled Black Shadow field gun and plan on a Black Shadow slug gun as well. I've used pump guns for hunting and work my whole life, and this model really impresses me.
Old June 30, 2014, 08:03 PM   #20
alaskabushman

JCN-

The camp/field combo looks a lot like the links you sent. http://www.winchesterguns.com/produc...21C&mid=512257

I would agree that owning just one of these dandy shotguns is probably not enough. I've been eyeing the marine version for a while now, since I live on an island and salt spray is a certainty if I take my gun out in the skiff. What advantage would a dedicated slug gun have? I know some states are shotgun-only for deer, but Alaska is not. In fact, I don't personally know anyone who uses a slug gun up here.

On a side note I think someone should do some testing on the strength of the SXP rotating bolt lug design vs. the lug lockup on an 870 or even a 500. Would make for some interesting reading anyway. Or maybe a comparison on the ease of take down, as the SXP seems very easy to disassemble, while the 870 is more complex. I have no experience with the 500.

On another topic, is it just me or does the SXP have one of the best factory recoil pads on a budget gun? I would actually like a similar pad on my rifles!
Old July 1, 2014, 12:41 PM   #21
jcn

alaskabushman:

I don't think you can ever have enough pump guns! I've looked at the Marine model myself, but can't justify it in my part of the country. Sure do wish that the standard Defender was threaded for tubes though.

I've been doing all my hunting with a shotgun for several years now, and a dedicated slug gun will allow me to use sabot ammunition and extend my practical range on whitetails. I should clarify that where I hunt, 80 to 100 yards is a long shot.

The camp/field combo you've linked to is the one I purchased. A 26" field barrel with 3 tubes and an 18" Defender barrel. It was only $100 more than the standard field model, and I'd rather have 2 security guns available and never need them than 1 day need 2 and have 1.

As far as the bolt comparison between the 870, 500, and SXP (including the 1200/1300 models, all 3 are sound and proven designs as are the complete guns. It just comes down to personal preference. That said, you can have a lot of fun listening to an argument between an 870 devotee and his 500 counterpart!

When it comes to disassembly/cleaning/reassembly, all 3 break-down with ease and are a snap to thoroughly clean and lube. The Winchesters and the 870 are a breeze to reassemble. The 500 has always made me wish I had 20 blade-thin fingers, but millions of other people don't seem to have a problem with it. It kind of bothers me that the 500's magazine tube can't be cleaned without removal from the receiver, and I think that's a disadvantage especially on a waterfowl gun or 1 used in the conditions you describe.

And you're spot on about the recoil pad! The Winchester beats it's target market competitors hands down! Add the pad to the smooth and wiggle free action, fast cycling, back-bored and chrome lined barrel and you've got a gun that will give Remington and Mossberg a real dose of reality!

It's worth note that the SXP is not a foreign copy of the 1300, but is manufactured and assembled in a modern factory in Turkey where Winchester(Browning?) has commissioned them to produce the guns to Winchesters specifications. It's too bad they're not made here in the U.S.A., but this gun manufactured in New Haven would probably have an MSRP double what it is now, not a good idea for the sub-$500 market.

Let me know if you get a Marine variant, while I try to come up with a reason that I "need" 1.

My 1 gripe about the SXP: no 20 gauge models (yet?)!

Last edited by jcn; July 1, 2014 at 12:51 PM. Reason: addition
Old July 2, 2014, 11:34 AM   #22
Lee Lapin

It works fine across a typical room, but larger rooms, open areas or long halls can create distances where the shot pattern can open up to 10 inches or more depending on load. An improved cylinder or modified would tighten things up some and still allow use of slugs with no I'll effect.

Today you don't change chokes to change patterns - you change loads.

Get yourself a box of Federal 00 buck loaded in FliteControl wads if you want tighter patterns out of a CYL bore - there are several variations available, I suggest staying away from reduced recoil buck and slugs for 'serious' use though. Try some pattern tests with that and see how it works for you. For 'ordinary' patterns try any standard major manufacturer buckshot, for 'open' patterns try the cheap stuff - S&B, Rio etc.

The Winchester 1300 (essentially what you have) is a well designed and constructed shotgun, though in the crucible of government issue decades ago (as the Winchester 1200) they didn't hold up as well as some other designs. Given what normal people do with a shotgun, yours should easily outlast you. I do suggest being careful about what cleaning solvents you use, however. The older versions had a nylon/plastic/polymer/whatever throat in the magazine tube/receiver junction, and some chemicals could do bad things to it. I don't know if that is still the case, but it might be an area to explore further.

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old July 3, 2014, 09:17 AM   #23
jcn

lee lapin:

Thanks for your post. I recently got "gifted" a 1200 Defender 8-shot that had been in service with the Corrections department. The serial number reveals its date of manufacture as 1981, and it looks to have been dragged behind a truck down a gravel road everyday of its service.

The bluing is gone, scratches all over the receiver, wood furniture that looked like a guard repeatedly doused it with Coca-Cola*, but no pitting and only light surface rust. Your typical 30+ year old service weapon that saw use by hundreds but belonged to no one.

I broke it down for a good scrubbing and light lube, replaced the ejector and spring, the magazine spring and follower, and replaced the old wood with new synthetic furniture.

After that, I ran 100 rounds of Winchester promotional light loads through it and couldn't be more happy. My "truck gun" has arrived!

*Coca-Cola is a registered trademark
Old July 5, 2014, 11:03 AM   #24
Lee Lapin

Congratulations! Anyone who makes the best of a "Cinderella" pumpgun (Dave's term, BTW) is smarter than the average bear.

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old July 5, 2014, 11:29 AM   #25
jcn

Thanks Lee! Every once in a while I'm in the right place at the right time. And I found out that it works just fine with Spartan buckshot ($80 for 250 rounds).