The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 3, 2012, 11:08 PM   #1
handgunfan101

Bought an in intro level AR-15

I always wanted an AR-15 and decided to get one after i spend some time in the hospital VERY ILL and was placed on a vent for a few days. After looking at a ton of themi settled on a Bushmaster C16 ORC with a Bushnell red dot scope. It was 729.00 but i got it for trading in an old 1911 that was worth maybe 500.00 plus 100.00. Its Carbon Fiber that is chambered in .223 and 5.56 and it is pretty.

I have run about 700 rounds through it and not one jam at all. My buddies AR-15 DPMS jammed several times and then it had a problem ejected odd. it would ejected straight back into his face.

Anyway for an entry level AR-15 this is a winner winner chicken dinner.
Old September 4, 2012, 04:05 AM   #2
Metal god

What ammo were you using and were you both using the same brand ? As im sure you know guns just don't like soom ammo's . I was at the range the other day .

I took My most recent build out ( Del-Ton upper on a PSA lower ) .

I had already put about 400 rounds through it maybe 500 with no problems what so ever . Well about 100 rounds in to my day I had two feed jams in a row . I was using alot of different ammo that day but the jams happened with Privi . I never used that brand the rest of the day and never had a problem again . The other stuff I was using was PMC , UMC , Lake city M193 and Federal gold metal match and never had a problem with any of them .

It could be ammo ,maybe DPMS . Im not a fan of dpms . Don't get me wrong if someone wanted to give me one I'd take it.

In all acuality There is alot of things that could have coused his AR to malfunction that can be fix in a heart beat . I would not look to much in to it . Unless next time you guys go and the same thing happens again. At that point I'd just look at him and go NEENER NEENER NEEENER .
Old September 4, 2012, 05:17 AM   #3
doingMach1

Hey handgunfan....I have the same rifle. Works like a charm....about 500 rounds so far and not a glitch.

Mine also came with the red dot sight, although I replaced it for a more open red dot (TruGlo)...also replaced the stock with a Magpul CTS and added a few more things like a quad rail, sling end plate, new rubberized grip, etc. Here it is:
Old September 6, 2012, 07:40 PM   #4
Mobuck

I traded my renter an"entry level" AR two years ago. Best I can tell, he has used it as in his words"a bullet hose" w/o putting much effort into cleaning or other maintenance. It has been working fine and runs steel case, questionable reloads, and whatever is behind the pickup seat. Just another case of cost not relating to performance or real world value.
On the plus side, I have 4 more of these elcheapo never say die carbines for my own use.
Old September 7, 2012, 10:59 AM   #5
Marquezj16

Quote:
it would ejected straight back into his face.
Is he lefthanded or is the brass somehow going 180 degrees from the right side of the rifle to the left?
Old September 7, 2012, 01:59 PM   #6
Metal god

That's funny . good ? . It would be pretty hard for the brass to hit you in the face if you're shooting right handed .