The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 16, 2012, 09:16 AM   #1
rebs

reloading manual ?

I am in need of a newer up dated reloading manual, which one do you guys recommend ?
Old July 16, 2012, 09:21 AM   #2
sourdough44

You could somewhat guide your choice by what type of reloading you normally do & with what bullets? Do you need any advice on steps or just a recipe manual?

I have most manuals, but usually reference Hodgdon, Sierra, Lyman & Lee, a little Speer too, in about that order too.
Old July 16, 2012, 09:37 AM   #3
serf 'rett

Manual or Manuals?

If you are just going to pick one manual, then you need to identify what you are loading. Rifle or pistol? Specific powders? Specific bullets?
Old July 16, 2012, 11:04 AM   #4
mrawesome22

If you already know what you are doing, QL and online data have made paper manuals unnecessary imo.

Sent from HenseMod6.
Old July 16, 2012, 01:51 PM   #5
rebs

I am reloading for an AR 15 223 cal, a colt gold cup 45 acp and a revolver 357 mag. I load all jacketed bullets in the 223 and cast in the 45 acp and 357 mag using 38 special data.
I reloaded about 25 years ago for about 8 years and then just got back into it again since I retired and have more time. So I don't believe I need instructions in the manual, but I am still finding things that have changed since 30 years ago.
Old July 16, 2012, 02:18 PM   #6
Shootest

Lyman’s 49th edition would be just the ticket. It is not bullet/powder manufacture specific and has data for cast and jacketed in both rifle and handgun.
Old July 16, 2012, 03:23 PM   #7
Edward429451

I second the Lyman manual. I think its the best general purpose manual extant.
Old July 16, 2012, 04:44 PM   #8
rebs

Does the newest Lyman have the loads for the newer powders like Varget ?
Old July 16, 2012, 04:55 PM   #9
mikld

Not reloading for 25 years I'd think there are prolly some things you've forgotten. If you use Hornady bullets, I'd suggest you get Hornady's manual. It's got a good "how to" section that I'd suggest you read to brush up on reloading safety. Lymans 49th Edition Reloading Handbook also has a very good reloading info section that would be well worth reading...
Old July 16, 2012, 08:46 PM   #10
Clark

I own ~ 60 reloading manuals and use none of them at this time. [possible hoarding]
I use Quickload.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old July 16, 2012, 09:15 PM   #11
Kilroy08

I have the latest Lyman, Speer, Lee, and Lyman Cast books. I also have my personal notebook and the infamous Speer #8. Most of what I use is a toss up between current Lyman and Speer books for jacketed stuff and the Lyman Cast for my home made stuff. Quickload is nice for getting an idea of what a particular load might do, I need to play with it more to figure out what does what and make progress on a couple of my pet projects.

Lee has a fair amount of data in it, but nothing that my other books won't cover. The only reason I bought it was it was $15.00 and I had to have something to show for driving 200 miles round trip to a sucky gun show.
Old July 17, 2012, 04:55 PM   #12
tobnpr

I bought the big bound Sierra book when I first started reloading...
Good to have, but their load data is overly conservative, and about useless IMO.

Their max load for the .308 bullet we were working with is less than the starting load listed by Hodgdon.

I use only Hodgdon (so far), so I use Hodgdon's load data. I have their manual, but the data is available free online.

I go with the powder manuf. data, rather than the bullet manuf.

Far as "updated", updated for what? I have yet to not be able to find any data I'm looking for, online. Not that I'm against buying books- and a basic reloading manual is great, mandatory reading for a beginner. But, i see no reason to own a slew of them.
Old July 18, 2012, 02:11 AM   #13
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Lyman’s 49th edition would be just the ticket. It is not bullet/powder manufacture specific and has data for cast and jacketed in both rifle and handgun.
I have found the Lyman 49th to be rather limited. It just doesn't have as much useful data, as they used to.

Any reloader that uses Hodgdon, IMR, or Winchester powders should have a Hodgdon manual. With the new periodical style manual, it's cheap, and updated yearly. I think I paid a whopping $5.99 for the 2012 issue.

For standard manuals...
My personal preference is for the Hornady 7th and 8th editions. Aside from using a fair number of Hornady bullets, I have found their data to be 'generic' and useful with a wide variety of other manufacturer's components. (I can't say the same about some other manuals.)

Lee, A-Square, Sierra, and a few other manuals should not be considered up-to-date. I think the newest edition in the lot is from 2003.

Avoid "niche" manuals like Barnes, Swift, Norma, and Nosler. Their data is either very limited, and/or does not work well with other bullets. (But, I must admit: My Swift manual is probably the prettiest one on my shelf, and the illustrations inside are fantastic. )
Old July 18, 2012, 08:53 AM   #14
tkglazie

Quote:
I have found the Lyman 49th to be rather limited. It just doesn't have as much useful data, as they used to.
agreed
Old July 18, 2012, 10:00 AM   #15
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Since you already have reloading material. Another new reloader's manual is a waste of money. Powder suppliers already post there Load information on-line like mrawesome22 has previously said. I would suggest a book like Ken Waters Pet loads to read. And a few others author's too. There a more interesting read than a Bullet manufactures hand loaders manual for someone who already has some experience in reloading.
Old July 18, 2012, 10:39 AM   #16
NWPilgrim

Quickload software at $150 seems pricey but it is the best reloading reference I ever bought. I've compared it to data from Hodgdon, Sierra, Hornady, Speer, Nosler, Lyman, Accurate, and Barnes and it is spot on.

The beauty is that you can develop loads no manual could possibly list. And you get very good velocity estimates for you barrel length. Fantastic for exploring new combinations of COL, powders, bullets, etc.

I still compare to powder manufacturers' online data and specialty bullet manuals if used, such as Barnes.

I reloaded for 20 yrs with hardcopy and online manuals before trying Quickload. Probably have 16 manuals on the shelf Only wish I had got QL years sooner.
Old July 18, 2012, 10:58 AM   #17
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Since you already have reloading material. Another new reloader's manual is a waste of money. Powder suppliers already post there Load information on-line like mrawesome22 has previously said. I would suggest a book like Ken Waters Pet loads to read. And a few others author's too. There a more interesting read than a Bullet manufactures hand loaders manual for someone who already has some experience in reloading.
I believe he is looking for new data, not something to entertain him on the throne.

A lot of powders have been reformulated, and a lot of new powders introduced, in the last 25 years. New data is definitely a good idea.

Quote:
Quickload software at $150 seems pricey but it is the best reloading reference I ever bought. I've compared it to data from Hodgdon, Sierra, Hornady, Speer, Nosler, Lyman, Accurate, and Barnes and it is spot on.

The beauty is that you can develop loads no manual could possibly list. And you get very good velocity estimates for you barrel length. Fantastic for exploring new combinations of COL, powders, bullets, etc.
There is one major consideration with QuickLoad, though: It's nearly useless, without a chronograph. If you don't have "real world" data to compare to the predictions, you have no idea how accurate the predictions are for your own firearms.

Plus... I don't see rebs getting a whole lot of use out of QuickLoad, if he's only reloading .223 Rem, .45 Auto, and .38/.357.
Old July 18, 2012, 11:05 AM   #18
oneounceload

Bookmark the powder maker's sites as well - they are kept up to date as they do the pressure testing
Old July 18, 2012, 11:06 AM   #19
jmortimer

I really like Modern Reloading by Richard Lee. It's inexpensive and if you use Lee Precision equipment you should have it regardless. For me the best source is Load Data which has all the above information plus all the loads developed for Handloader Magazine. The largest resource of loads by far. 240,827 loads and growing. http://www.loaddata.com/home/index.c...TOKEN=21221837

Last edited by jmortimer; July 18, 2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old July 18, 2012, 11:13 AM   #20
tkglazie

Quote:
I really like Modern Reloading by Richard Lee.
I think we are in the minority, but I agree with you.
Old July 18, 2012, 03:48 PM   #21
TXJohn

I have Lee. Sierra, Nosler, Lyman, Speer, Hornady, and some I'm forgetting but if I had to have just one it would be the Lyman. Any of these manuals will be good. JMO

Last edited by TXJohn; July 18, 2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old July 18, 2012, 04:31 PM   #22
temmi

I have them all...

Buy the manual from the bullet maker you use..

Snake
Old July 18, 2012, 06:35 PM   #23
FiveInADime

Quote:
Originally Posted by temmi View Post
I have them all...

Buy the manual from the bullet maker you use..

Snake
I agree.

I use mostly Nosler and Hornady bullets so I have those two and I check the powder manufacturer websites for data, as well.

Sent From My Galaxy S 4g Using Tapatalk
Old July 18, 2012, 06:41 PM   #24
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Quote:
I believe he is looking for new data, not something to entertain him on the throne.
Who knows maybe He (OP) would like a good read like Ken Waters Pet Loads. Whether it be in bed or the Head. I certainly do._
Old July 18, 2012, 08:23 PM   #25
Kilroy08

Some of my best research has been done in the "Executive Office."