The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 11, 2012, 02:30 PM   #1
romavik

Old shotgun from my uncle's attic

So having gotten into shotgunning in the last year or so, I wanted to take a look at my uncle's old side by side just out of curiosity. He doesn't know much about shotguns as it was a gift about 20 years ago just so he could go hunting on his brother's farm. After taking a look at it, I still don't know exactly what he has.

The only make/model indication says "Ranger," which a Google search tells me could be a bunch of different manufacturers who made shotguns sold through Sears Roebuck many years ago. There is no model number on the barrel, no indication of choke or what ammo it takes (assuming 2.75" only). Just that it's a 12 gauge.

Serial number is X89454, but I can't find any place to indicate what that means. Under the left barrel there is also a capital "I" with a circle around it, clearly separate from the serial number. Under the right barrel there is a lone "8."

Anyone know more about this? He doesn't want to sell it as it has sentimental value even though he doesn't shoot it, so value isn't really a huge issue. Is it safe to assume both barrels are open cylinder? My uneducated naked eye thinks so. Just wondering if anyone knows if the markings can be dissected for more information.
Old June 11, 2012, 02:51 PM   #2
zippy13

Greetings romavik, and welcome aboard.

We have frequent postings like this here at TFL. There always seems to be two basic responses: Can you post some pictures, and did you open it to see if there are any interior marks not seen with the action closed?
Old June 12, 2012, 01:57 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Welcome aboard,romavik.

Most likely, a Stevens/Savage 311 or similar, but pics are needed to make sure.

2 3/4" only. The lack of a serial number indcates pre 68.