The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old March 5, 2012, 05:00 PM   #1
Roland Thunder

The ultimate

Some of you may know about this and I won't mention where it happened as it is my home range and I don't want any more bad publicity for the owners. So, please don't mention any names on this board. The weekend before last, Feb 25 to be exact, someone decided to end their life right there at the gun range in front of everyone, shooting himself in the head with a .40 S&W pistol (XD or XDM, I was told). He pulled the trigger once and it didn't go off and so he pulled the trigger a 2nd time and succeeded. It was a Saturday afternoon at the peak of their busy time, no less. I wasn't there but several of my shooting friends were. It was totally planned out as they found a do not resuscitate note in his pocket.
Old March 5, 2012, 05:14 PM   #2
markj

Happens, did in Omaha too. Some go to rent a gun and blamo. One gal in a town killed her son thought he was the devil or something like that.
Old March 5, 2012, 05:15 PM   #3
BarryLee

Yes, I live in Gwinnett and pretty sure I know what you are referring to.

I always feel sad that some people feel so hopeless that they result to doing this, but I guess in some way it is their right. However, to commit this act in a public place where you involve others is really terrible. While I am not advocating suicide it should be a private matter and conducted that way.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old March 5, 2012, 05:18 PM   #4
Roland Thunder

It's scary when you think the person could have decided since he was going down he was going to take a couple people with him. The place was packed when it happened, I am told.
Old March 5, 2012, 05:20 PM   #5
Roland Thunder

Barry,

I didn't see it in the newspaper so I don't know if they managed to keep it out to avoid the publicity. Fortunately, I was out of town but my shooting buddy got there right after it happened.
Old March 5, 2012, 05:35 PM   #6
BarryLee

No, I did not see it in the media either, but just heard about it from a friend.

I remember an old range over off the I-85 Access Road near Jimmy Carter Blvd. where it happened maybe twenty or more years ago. I know the range initially claimed it was an accident, but the investigation determined it was suicide.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old March 5, 2012, 06:50 PM   #7
m&p45acp10+1

I know of an indoor range that is about an hour away from where I live. A woman actualy paid for an instructor. He gave her the basics on the four rules, showed her the guns, this is how you load it, ect.ect. He laid the gun on the bench and stepped out of the way. She picked it up put it to her head, and shot her self. Somehow it only ended up grazing her. The instuctor grabbed the gun away from her. 911 was called. She was treated for the wound, and then sent for psche eval.

It was later found out that she was bipolar and her medications had been changed. She went to the mental hospital, told them she was having suicidal thoughs. They turned her away. The range was her next stop.

It should be noted that some heads in that MHMR clinic rolled when it was found out that she had not been admited to a psyche hospital.
Old March 5, 2012, 07:21 PM   #8
ScottRiqui

The military range where I shoot had a suicide a few years ago. They realize there's not much they can do to prevent a determined suicide, but if you're a new shooter there, they won't rent you a gun unless you've also brought along one of your own.
Old March 5, 2012, 10:17 PM   #9
Roland Thunder

Scary thing is any of us could be less than 20ft away from somebody holding a gun and planning to shoot themselves. It's almost enough to make you want to wear a bullet proof vest to the range.
Old March 5, 2012, 10:20 PM   #10
Frank Ettin
Staff

A sad thing, but it really won't teach us anything about training or tactics. Closed.
Closed Thread