The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old February 7, 2011, 06:51 PM   #1
Nick9130White

Mosin Nagant sights.

So my next investment is for sigts.

I took it to the range for the first time yesterday, put 109 round through it, it kicks like a mule and i love it.
It also shoots up and to the right.

so my questions are,
should i keep my sights that i have on it now and just adjust it.
Get better iron sights on it.
Or get a scope mount that replaces the rear sight?

I plan on using this Rifle for hunting and target shooting.
Old February 7, 2011, 07:29 PM   #2
tater134

Just adjust the sights. I use my two Mosins for hunting and they are completely stock. I find the iron sights very easy to shoot with and easy to pick up when trying to make a quick shot.
Old February 7, 2011, 07:39 PM   #3
Nick9130White

how do i adjust the front sight?
Old February 7, 2011, 09:58 PM   #4
tater134

Its dovetailed into the barrel so you can slide it left or right to adjust for windage. A brass hammer or punch is all you need to move it. It may require some pretty good whacks to get it to move if it hasnt been moved in awhile.
Old February 7, 2011, 11:25 PM   #5
sirsloop

as I mentioned in the other thread... the MOJO sights are a great replacement. You can mount a scope on one, but its not really a good candidate for scopes. You need to get a bent bolt (most likely). If you get a mounting system to replace the existing front sight you need to get a long eye relief/scout scope. If you get the PU sniper style scope, its pricey, you need to drill the receiver, and you have to get a bent bolt for sure. You also lose the ability to use stripper clips.

In the end you are probably just going to shoot cheap surplus ammo out of a gun made hastily by the millions...so its not like you will be shooting a tack driver. If you are going to get sights, I would check out MOJO's... or simply mod the front sight post. Save spending money on mounts and optics for a better base rifle.
Old February 11, 2011, 09:38 AM   #6
Don P

With a little work you can modify your sights following the directions at this site www.surplusrifle.com in the Mosin-Nagant section.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old February 11, 2011, 11:04 AM   #7
Nick9130White

I'll take a look at mojo, will it still shoot high at 100 yards?

My real hunting rifle is a saiga .308 with a 3-9x32 scope and a 22" barrel.

I'm taking it to the range to see how it shoots.
Old February 11, 2011, 03:19 PM   #8
rr2241tx

Mount your bayonet and all will be well in the land.
Old February 11, 2011, 07:20 PM   #9
sirsloop

It will shoot wherever you want with mojos... its adjustable for elevation and windage. Its more precise as well so its not like the front post accounts for 3 MOA like the stock sights.
Old February 11, 2011, 07:32 PM   #10
kraigwy

Most Mosins I've seen shoot high (Mine shot 8 inches high when set on the 100 yard or meter setting).

I have to keep mine "as issued" to be legal in CMP GSM (Vintage Military Rifle) Matches.

Windage is adjusted by moving the front sight which ever way it needs to go but if the rear sight is bottomed out, and still shoots high, then other means need to be attempted.

Playing with my slide rule I figured you need to move the rear sight up or down .0061 for every MOA you want to move it. As I said, my Mosin shoots 8 inches hight. So 8 X .0061 = .0488, would bring the sights down 8 inches at MOA.

I took the rear sight off the rifle (simple operation, just punch out the pin). I set the sight in the milling machine and milled .0488 off the bottom. Making no changes to the top part of the sight, there fore its still considered "as issued".

I put the sight back on the rifle and sure enough, the sucker is right on at 100 yards. I set the slider on the 200 mark, its on at 200, then at 300 its on at 300 yards.

The rifle now shoots like it needs to to be able to compete in GSM Games.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 12, 2011, 03:56 PM   #11
publius

I like the original sights and would try to make them work.
Old February 21, 2012, 01:22 AM   #12
cds1089

oops

i wish i had found this sooner. kraigwy, i read a few manuals and if your original sight was set on the one hundred mark you were actually setting it to 1000 meters which would explain the 8 inches high. the manuals stated that the mosin sights are set in 100's of meters. i hate to say it but you effectively limited your sights to 200m or 220 yards.
Old February 21, 2012, 01:35 PM   #13
Josh Smith

Hello,

At the risk of self-promotion, you might try www.smith-sights.com .

I solved the problem a while back

Regards,

Josh
Old February 21, 2012, 02:18 PM   #14
KLRANGL

Quote:
i wish i had found this sooner. kraigwy, i read a few manuals and if your original sight was set on the one hundred mark you were actually setting it to 1000 meters which would explain the 8 inches high. the manuals stated that the mosin sights are set in 100's of meters. i hate to say it but you effectively limited your sights to 200m or 220 yards.
The 8 inches high POA/POI discrepancy is due to changed barrel harmonics when not mounting a bayonet. I haven't seen a Mosin (including mine) that didn't shoot high at 100 yards.

I'm not sure where you got that kraigwy set his mosin at the 1000 meter mark. That's just silly. He pretty explicitly stated it was at the 100 meter mark, which is as low as you can put the rear sight. Milling off the bottom of the sight allowed the sight to just sit low enough at the 100 meter mark to hit POA/POI.
Old February 22, 2012, 12:16 PM   #15
SDC

A lot will also depend on the ammunition you're using; these rifles were intended to be used with the "L" light ball round, but using the "D" heavy ball (which was intended as MG ammo) will also cause a higher impact.
Old February 22, 2012, 05:39 PM   #16
Goldy

I bought a Mosin at a gunshow with a beautiful bore for $75. Didn't notice the front sight had been driven all the way to the left. When I shot it the group of 5-6" was way left.

Took it out of the stock and found the stock severly warped. Corrected the problem with my handy Dremell and had to move the sights back to center.
Also got some 2" groups.

To correct the high impact I pushed a small piece of tubing down on the front sight. Trim to length as needed.

The tubing came from a small wire removed with a wire stripper.
Old February 24, 2012, 09:18 PM   #17
boostedtt91

There is a guy on Youtube that makes replica front posts that are taller than the factory ones which will bring your shots down to point of aim and you can file them down till its where you want it. he only charges a few dollars for them, I bought one and looks like oem and works wonders! If your interested pm me and ill find out his contact info for ya
Old February 25, 2012, 04:01 PM   #18
TX Hunter

For a Super Quick cheap fix, get the Qtips with the plastic handles, cut the handle, slide it over your sight blade, and trim to the heigth you need a dab of glue and your done.
Old March 2, 2012, 11:26 PM   #19
bamalefty

mn sights

had an leftover m44 front sight left over from my younger days of butcher lol i know better now drilled and knocked out post drilled and tapped it for a kns duplex site i kept when i sold my l1a1 with mojo ghost ring rear sight get a scoped picture hit good with it i love it even better with the recoil pad lol