The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 12, 2008, 05:51 PM   #1
lon371

This Drives Me Nuts!!

Neighbor kid just emailed me these photos. He is hunting where I normally hunt. He found these deer right out in the open. I assure DNR will get a call in the morning(I am working tonight)
Lonny
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1212081646a.jpg (172.5 KB, 276 views)
File Type: jpg mail.jpg (15.5 KB, 250 views)
Old December 12, 2008, 06:32 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

So how much meat was removed? If the shooter took the hams I see no harm no foul...
Pics do not show enuff for me to see "wanton waste of wildlife" (the charge in florida...)
Brent
Old December 12, 2008, 06:34 PM   #3
Dr. Strangelove

I hate to call it before all the facts are in, but...

look like you might have brain-eatin zombies on your land.
Old December 12, 2008, 06:51 PM   #4
lon371

I was wrong. i just called the young man and talked to him. He said it is one deer, all legs are still there. Only flesh type material is on the skull.
As the picture shows, skull cap was removed. There are only a couple of us who have permission to hunt this area. i know the other guy and I am sure he would not do this. On top of that he only bow hunts. He does not do hardly any hunting while the guns are in the field.

Quote:
look like you might have brain-eatin zombies on your land
A few of my neighbors could benefit from that I guess.

Lonny

Last edited by lon371; December 12, 2008 at 06:53 PM. Reason: quote
Old December 12, 2008, 07:08 PM   #5
lon371

Hot dogs, there is no meat only a complete skeleton, minus antlers
Old December 12, 2008, 08:56 PM   #6
FrankenMauser

Quote:
So how much meat was removed? If the shooter took the hams I see no harm no foul...
Pics do not show enuff for me to see "wanton waste of wildlife" (the charge in florida...)
I don't know how strict the rules are in Indiana. I do know Florida's rules.

Here, in Utah, it's a bit different. If there is any edible portion left (including edible organs), they can charge you with wanton waste.
The DWR here goes so far as to demand you remove rib meat from any carcass you leave in the field. I'm sorry, but even on an Elk... there just isn't enough meat on the ribs to make it worth the time. (and usually it gets contaminated anyway)
The law was created for a good reason, but sometimes it's a real pain to follow.

As for the carcass... at least something got a meal out of it. I've run across a few in the south that were just putrid piles of goo; minus the all-important head.
Old December 12, 2008, 09:19 PM   #7
lon371

We have loads of Coyotes and buzzards. They do get there fill during deer season. between road kills and carcasses and wounded dear running off.
Old December 12, 2008, 09:26 PM   #8
rem870hunter

that looks a wads of hair under the ribcage area. maybe local critters were chewing and picking at it.

so far this year i have found 2 killed deer. both are definetly this year. shot with what i don't know. but some tool decided to hack the antlers off a buck and take the 2 hind legs. the other deer was a doe,same thing hind legs were all that was taken. i found them 20' away from a parking spot in a wildlife area. someone around here either don't have a license,permit or they were killed at another location and dumped there.

butchering the deer themselves i don't care about,save money by doing it youself. get the most meat out of your deer. but to kill one and take only a small amount and leave the rest for the critters, is insane.
Old December 13, 2008, 12:22 AM   #9
HiBC

I only looked at the smaller file,I'm on dialup.Could be it is not a problem.
In Colorado,we have Chronic Wasting Disease.Cutting across bone,and particularly spinal cord,increases the danger.
The Colorado DOW offers videos on how to bone out a carcass in the field.
Entrails are not removed,tenderloins are stripped out through the flanks.
It is akin to filleting a fish.Done right,it is not wasteful.The skeleton is left in the field.
Wasting edible game meat is a felony in Colorado.
BTW,I was recently along on a pheasant hunt.Some folks just fillet off the breast.I took their waste,and skinned out the leg/thigh pieces and kept them.
I was thinking if they got floured and quick browned,then covered with onions and a couple cans of mushroom soup and tossed in the oven a while they might make a pretty good meal .
Old December 13, 2008, 04:54 AM   #10
lon371

I and the neighbor boy hunt this regularly. Where he said this one is, is right out in the open near a creek crossing. We park 4 wheelers very close to this spot. He has hunted it heavy up to last week, and not seen it.

On the other hand. Where it is, if it was someone left over pile. The Coyotes and buzzards would have brought it to a skelleton in a couple of days. I admit this could be the case.

I will know more today. I am hunting that area, so I will go take a look. If I think it is< I will call the DNR. They get a load of calls this time of year. They have made several arrest this year as they do every year, in this region.

Lonny
Old December 13, 2008, 08:10 AM   #11
texfar

Unfortunately this type of thing happens all to often in the Texas Hill country. I have seen animals headless, no meat taken, and a variety of other waste. I live down a three mile dead end private ranch road and twice over the last couple of years we have had a poaching problem. Night spot lighting. These guys are quick. Shot fired, deer dumped in the truck and they are gone like that. I live a long way from the road and have not been able to see the vehicles by the time I come screaming off the porch in boots and underware, gun in hand trying to see what they are drivin.
Old December 13, 2008, 05:35 PM   #12
rem870hunter

here is some i found

deer remains 3 ,12-13-08 resized.JPG deer remains 5,12-13-08 resized.JPG

deer remains 6,12-13-08 resized.JPG

i found these not far from an area i hunted to day. there is a house maybe 300 yards away from these wasted bodies.

Last edited by rem870hunter; December 13, 2008 at 05:46 PM. Reason: forgot 1 more pic.
Old December 13, 2008, 06:30 PM   #13
shortwave

Late Sept. this year found two nice bucks with nothing but racks cut off:barf:. The poaching in this area in the last 4-5yrs. has put a hurtin on the quality of bucks. Two men recently caught got their vehicle and weapons confiscated, fines totaled $14,000 and hunting previleges suspended for 5 yrs. Wish DNR would catch more poachers. Hell they could set base camp up at my place.
Old December 13, 2008, 07:02 PM   #14
Swampghost

Back in the day this was a common way of butchering down here. The idea was to get the meat in the cooler ASAP because it can be hot down here during season (going to be close to 80* next week) and the meat can go bad quickly.

We also have a local cleanup crew consisting of bobcats, coyotes, 'coons, 'possums, Turkey vultures and plenty of bugs that will reduce the carcass to bones within a few days. Recycle.
Old December 14, 2008, 07:43 PM   #15
lon371

I and the neighbor boy went to the deer this morning. It looks like someone may have dumped the carcass after getting their meat and antlers. The hide was peeled back to the neck, 3 of the 4 legs were their. The 4th they may have kept because that is where they are tagged in Indiana.

So I may have been jumping to conclusions when I got the pictures and short discription. I guess next time I will check it out before loosing my mind

But like I said earlier, there are a load of antler hunters here. Most are not ashamed to admit it. Drive me nuts YOU CANT EVEN EAT THE ANTLERS. Go figure.

Lonny
Old December 14, 2008, 09:59 PM   #16
Cigar

This was horrible...

It was just after sun up and I noticed a deer with his back to me on the corn pile at 100 yards from my tree stand..He was in the shooting lane that leads out to the marsh lined with scrub pine and thick under brush... For 15 or 20 min he was eating and would not lift his head up.. He was not moving at all... Now that I look back at it he was not flicking his tail..He just kept his head down.. Then he did this little side step and exposed his neck from his left ear to about 6 inches down his neck, head still down... I shouldered my rifle and put my palm on the tree and leveled my 270 across the top of my forearm to get a steady sight picture...
I started to squeeze while I had a rock for a rest and a clear flight path... KA-BOOM; the deer collapsed face down in the corn pile... I racked a new round and thru the scope I could see the steam coming from his fatal wound.. 5 min later my phone vibrates and my friend asked " Did you get him?".. "Yeap, over on the corn pile"... "Good" he says " I'll be over in an hour and we will pick him up and hunt this afternoon".. "Good, Good I whisper "See you then".. Still hunting and checking my deer thru the scope every few min..The hour ticked by..

I see Gary's orange figure slip down the tree and he disappears in the woods.. Hearing the metallic clank of the trailer and the 4 wheeler start.. He comes down the trail... He blows past me to the downed deer... I was hoping he was going to move something else I could have a shot.. Nothing... So down the tree I come and walk over to the deer... I get 20 yards from him and I smell this rancid odor... I see Gary's face all contorted like he was in pain... I walk up and look at the deer.. All I notice are these blown up ticks dropping off of this unfortunate animal.. 100s of them.. This poor animal was infested with ticks.. Gary grabs his horns and rolls his head over and exposes this old wound on the side neck that was crawling with maggots all while engulfed in this pungent rancid smelling odor... Dyed skin was hanging about the size of a softball...His right eye was grayed over and was swollen to the size of a baseball with puss oozing out... I kept thinking thank you God for having me put him out of his misery... I did something this year I thought I would never do... I shot a 5 point and drug him over to the south part of the marsh where the vultures hang out... I took the antlers and let him lay..It still turns my stomach... Sad...

John