Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: To chachunk, or not to chachunk
To chachunk 36 29.03%
Not to chachunk 88 70.97%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 6, 2006, 10:45 AM   #26
dev_null

Quote:
A warning just tells an intruder where you are so he can shoot you.
People keep repeating that, but is it really true? Maybe if he's in the same room with you. But consider this scenario:

BG is tippy-toeing around living room. I'm in bedroom. I rack the slide on the 870, and bark out "I AM ARMED AND WILL DEFEND MYSELF. POLICE ARE ON THE WAY. YOU HAVE THREE SECONDS BEFORE I START SHOOTING." I immediately move to the other side of the room.

BG doesn't know exactly which room the sounds came from, and even if he guesses correctly, AND is dumb or high enough to come on against the shotty, AND thinks he knows where in the room I was standing, I've already moved.

Am I going to jump out of the bedroom door and take a chance he doesn't have his Gansta Nine pointed in my direction? Hell, no.

Are the chances pretty damned good that he'll leave pronto and not chance it again? Hell, yes.

And even if he doesn't, he's going to have to come down the hallway and into the bedroom door, backlit by the light from the other end, and face the 12-ga. with the Surefire on it. See ya.

Oh, and if for some reason I can't get to the 870, the D-E .50AE is in the nightstand, and the only sound it will need to make to get into play is the muffled snick of the safety.
Old June 6, 2006, 11:11 AM   #27
threefivesevenmag

I don't think your verbal warning should be that long.

If they don't "run" when you've stated that you've called 911, then it really doesn't matter if they know you're armed or not.

Why a Desert Eagle .50 AE? Just curious.
Old June 6, 2006, 11:18 AM   #28
autopsytech

Nope. I don't CHACHUNK. There's already a round in the chamber. I want the element of surprise on my side. If BG is armed in any way, by hearing the racking of the slide he's going to be ready for a fight. Keep the element of surprise on your side. Don't give him any oppurtunity to get one up on you.
Old June 6, 2006, 11:28 AM   #29
ebd10

If I "chachunk", I have surrendered the element of surprise. I don't want them to know the fight has started until after it's over.
Old June 6, 2006, 11:44 AM   #30
flashman70

Like others, nightstand pistol has one in the chamber (or all cylinders) and shotgun is loaded, but nothing up the spout.
Old June 6, 2006, 11:45 AM   #31
steelheart

Quote:
are you locked and loaded? And why?
I read in one of Masaad Ayoob's columns years ago about a guy who kept a 1911 at his bedside with an empty chamber. The poice found him, 1911 in hand with a feeding jam, and a bullet hole in his skull.

No, thanks. Condition 1 for me.
Old June 6, 2006, 12:06 PM   #32
Edward429451

Quote:
Like others, nightstand pistol has one in the chamber (or all cylinders) and shotgun is loaded, but nothing up the spout.
Ditto.
Old June 6, 2006, 02:53 PM   #33
OneInTheChamber

Chachunk????

I'll go for the weapon that makes the "Clack" if the condition one handgun isn't going to be enough.
Old June 6, 2006, 03:11 PM   #34
jcoiii

I like this philosophy:

My bedside table pistol is ready to go. I don't have a shotgun as of yet. However, this is how my father has his set up.
Safety on
Empty chamber
Chamber closed

The idea is that if BG somehow gets hold of shot gun first, his first obstacle to firing is the safety. Once he figures that out, *click*. THEN he has to rack the shotgun. By that time, he has a nice failure drill pattern in him.

And, just in case visiting family might somehow, in some freak way, manage to somehow lay hands on it, those safety features are also in place.

But, the pistol is ready to go at all times.

I do not aim with my hand.......
Old June 6, 2006, 10:54 PM   #35
mgdavis

Well, the bedside 870 is cruiser ready, the nightstand Glock 19 rests in its holster loaded. The only reason for the empty chamber of the shotgun, and the extra step with the Glock, is that I have had a couple very vivid dreams in which I was trying very hard to reach the weapon next to me, but could not. I don't want to shoot anything (least of all myself) in my sleep.
Old June 6, 2006, 11:37 PM   #36
dev_null

Quote:
Why a Desert Eagle .50 AE? Just curious.
My thinking was that when I want to stop 'em, I want to STOP 'em. Might be a bit of overkill (no pun intended), might not. Since I'm in a single family home at the bottom of a cul-de-sac with no neighbors on two sides, I'm not so concerned about overpenetration.

That said, I'm actually reconsidering for two reasons: first is that there is one angle by which a missed shot could conceivably go down the hall and out the study window that faces a neighbor's garage across the cul-de-sac. (Then again, not sure that switching to .45 ACP or 10 mm is much better in that regard.) The other is because it's a lot easier to one-hand the latter two than the DE, and somehow the idea of trying to control that bad boy with one hand while holding the flashlight with my weak hand is enough to give me pause.

BTW, did you know that "cul-de-sac" literally means "@$$ of the bag?" Hey, I'm all kinds of helpful!
Old June 7, 2006, 12:34 AM   #37
FirstFreedom

Quote:
Do you leave your chamber empty so you can chachunk your home intruder a warning?
I couldn't vote because I keep one in the chamber, but also still chachunk for intimidation, throwing the live one out on the floor.
Old June 7, 2006, 09:34 AM   #38
Glenn E. Meyer

I propose the Chachunk grenade. It wouldn't be too hard with today's tech to make a small gadget that emits a giant chachunk. Upon hearing a bad guy, you can toss the chachunker down the stairs or outside the safe room.

There are other ways to record a Chachunk and have it played in the house.

It seems to be reasonable that one has a ready to go gun. I have available pistols and revolvers like that. The long arms - shotgun or AR (my preferred Zombie house gun) do need to be chambered but that is for safety as compared to sound effects.
Old June 7, 2006, 12:59 PM   #39
warwagon

Glen...

I keep mine loaded, chamber empty, with a pistol, close, and ready.

It worked for the years I was on the job, and still does.
Old June 7, 2006, 01:25 PM   #40
kraven

bwaaaaaaahahahahahaaaaaa!!

Glen, the chachunk grenade is the funniest thing I've read on a gun forum in years. And, a great idea too for the guys who like the chachunk sound. They can get the chachunk right on the guy's foot.
Too funny.
Old June 7, 2006, 01:57 PM   #41
johnsonrlp

Chachunk Grenade

Interesting. It would definately confuse someone. Might make for a good distraction too. You could, for instance, throw a few of them to either side of the BG. If he starts shooting towards the sound you gain the advantage.
Old June 7, 2006, 02:00 PM   #42
dev_null

Kachunk Grenade

Ipods, with motion sensors, different parts of the room. Get enough and it's like a scene from a movie!
Old June 7, 2006, 02:10 PM   #43
skeeter1

I keep a wheelgun loaded and in the bedroom dresser drawer, so the first (and last) sound some BG breaking into my house is going to hear will be "BOOM."
Old June 7, 2006, 03:37 PM   #44
BigO01

Quote:
Home defense weapon is a revolver. All chambers loaded. One speed loader in reach at night along with a mag light.
No chachunk.
Same here even though if I did reach for an auto it would have to have a round chambered , I doubt the BG is going to hear anything over his own screams because the dog will be keeping him busy untill I get there .
Old June 7, 2006, 03:40 PM   #45
Mannlicher

giving away your position, and status is a bad idea. Taking the time to do what you should have already done, may cost you your life. If you think the 'chachunk' sound scares folks, just wait until they hear "KABLAM"

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old June 7, 2006, 04:04 PM   #46
Koz

I make the sound with my mouth.
Old June 7, 2006, 05:15 PM   #47
skeeter1

+BigO01

My shooting buddy and his wife have a 98lb Doberman, which serves as the first line. If anyone knocked on the door and heard that dog, they would 1). pee their pants, and 2). run like heck. I've known the dog for 10 years, and to me she's a sweetie, but if I were a stranger, I'd boogey out of there as fast as I could.
Old June 7, 2006, 08:52 PM   #48
XavierBreath

I prepare my shotguns with the chamber empty and the hammer down for one reason. A Winchester 1300 will work exactly like a Mossberg 500 in that configuration. No safeties to push, no slide to release. I use both for home defense. Set up like that, I have the chamber empty for safety, yet the function is the same regardless of what I have in my hand. This is the purpose of condition "cruiser ready".

The sound effect is just a byproduct of being prepared. If it works, I do not have to replace the carpet. If it does not, then the carpet gets replaced.
Old June 13, 2006, 12:59 PM   #49
FirstFreedom

"Cha-chunk Grenade"... tee hee. Steelheart, he won't even hear that since your .357 mag bullet is travelling faster than the speed of sound. It's just a peaceful lights-out - really too mild of a fate for one as deserving of more as someone who invades your home. At least give hime the SA-cock click a la Silence of the Lambs so he will experience some fear.
Old June 13, 2006, 01:43 PM   #50
gdeal

I thought we were just talking about pump shotguns

Revolver always six chambers loaded. Semi-Auto and pump shotgun I would want the chamber empty.