The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old February 20, 2005, 09:28 PM   #1
bikenjam

Question on ammo

I'm going to start shooting a service rifle this summer at the local matches. Last year i shot a garand, but know i'm moving up. Its a reduced corse of 200 yards. My question is this: Do you see any problem with using winchester USA 45gr. JHP ammo for the match? The stuff is availible localy for 12 bucks per box of 40. I'm just a little concered if wind is going to be a problem.
thanks for any input
Old February 21, 2005, 10:05 PM   #2
Tim R

I would would use 55 gr. at a minimum. My .02 cents anyways. As for moving up from a M-1 I would shoot it until it hurt scores.

If you can hold position with a '06 that little 223 sure isn't going to move you around.
Old February 22, 2005, 09:27 AM   #3
bikenjam

Why would you shoot the M-1 untill it hurts scores? Heres the reasons i'm switching. Two years ago i shot my first match with a friend armalite national match AR. it was in the high 300's out of a perfect score of 500. I wasn't to disapointed considering it was my first match. This last summer i started useing the ol' garand. i couldn't beat the score i shot with the AR that whole summer. When i took the garand to the bench to see how it was grouping with the lake city match ball ammo, i could see i big factor in my low scores.

So, thats it in a nutshell. Also, they sell winchester USA 55 FMJ ammo in 50 round boxes, I'll try some of that when i get my new upper.
Old February 22, 2005, 12:25 PM   #4
30Cal

Even a stock grade Garand with milsurp ammo should be able to post scores in the 450's if not better. Granted, the AR is a lot easier in the rapidfire stages.

I'd lean towards 55grs. For a full distance across the course match, you'll need to go with the heavier match loads which take a certain amount of twist, and you may want to take that into consideration when you order your new upper.
Old February 22, 2005, 10:00 PM   #5
bikenjam

at the matches i'm shooting at, all the stages are shot at 200 yards. As for a 450 with a garand, i think that depends greatly on the specific rifle
Old February 24, 2005, 10:02 PM   #6
TimRB

My M1 has been bedded, but I have shot over 420 at 200 yards with LC53. I also am new to high power, so that's pretty good for me.

Tim