The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 30, 2017, 03:44 PM   #26
pelo801

I dont want to highjack from the OP. And great effort put into the opening post, btw. Very informative and thank you for that.

But I think this revolver is going to take away pretty much any market the Chiappa Rhino had. I mean the dimensions(height, weight, etc) are pretty close to the same. They're both six shot, 357's. This revolver doesnt have all the things the detractors seem to gripe about with the Rhino. The non conventional action, the looks, the company's no one's heard of, etc. The only market the Rhino has now is those that want something unusual.

Being a Rhino owner I would really like to shoot them side by side to get a good muzzle rise and recoil impulse comparision. And also compare same loads over a chrono.

But I do agree with most here, this revolver looks like a winner and I think it will sell.
Old March 31, 2017, 06:07 PM   #27
Dan-O

"It has no external hammer to shroud."

I get that, but it sounds like they're going to offer other revos. A shrouded humpback would make me giddy.
Old April 22, 2017, 08:58 PM   #28
Wheel-Gunner

I just handled one today at my local gun shop. Really nice. It didn't follow me home though. If Kimber ever makes one with a 3" barrel, I'll get one.

If I didn't already have a few guns that fill this niche, it would be in my possession now.
Old April 22, 2017, 11:15 PM   #29
Model12Win

Interesting revolvers but they won't hold a flame to the new Colt's Cobra pistols. The fact that the Kimber doesn't wear the pony or is otherwise not a Colt's revolving pocket pistol of special caliber automatically makes it inferior to the Colt's.
Old April 23, 2017, 04:52 AM   #30
Mr.RevolverGuy

I am going to say this then go into hiding

After shooting this a few times and carrying it with a Alien Gear Holster I am questioning if I want to keep any of my S&W 5 shot J frames.

I have a lot more training to do before I start to feel comfortable carrying it full time, but my J Frames may be going on the market.

I have enjoyed this revolver so much I made a video mini series comparing it with two different models of S&W 640. The S&W 640-1 Magnum edition and the S&W 640 Performance Center Paxton Quigley Edition only 250 of these were made.

I compared the trigger pull with the trigger pull guage, accuracy and perceived felt recoil and for fun no real science I shot them all across the chronograph with factory 38spl ammo.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...gZ-4kWX8hGdKEs

Last edited by Mr.RevolverGuy; April 23, 2017 at 05:01 AM.
Old April 23, 2017, 07:22 AM   #31
Real Gun

Was offered a chance to shoot one yesterday with full power, store bought ammo (SJSP). I was savvy enough to put on a glove first and am certainly glad I did. Barring loading ones own custom load in 357 cases, this gun is just another 38 masquerading as a 357. I gave the owner 6 of my Speer Short Barrel 357 carry rounds in exchange for ---HER--- purchased ammo. She had immediately gravitated to shooting 38 Special, or the gun would have just been no fun to shoot. She tried some of my medium 357 Mag loads of 7.0 BE-86/158 LSWC and liked that better.

I have to think the Colt makes more sense as 38 Special only. Versatility doesn't mean anything, if you never exploit it.
Old April 23, 2017, 08:22 AM   #32
Mr.RevolverGuy

Recoil is very subjective and different for each of us due to so many factors I am to lazy to list here and honestly not sure that I even know all of them

For example I hate the recoil of the 454 Casull, it is just no fun for me, but the weirdest thing I can shoot 460 Magnum and it is much more enjoyable and it has nothing to do with the revolver as both cartridges were fired through the same 460XVR Xframe revolver.

Again for a guy my size with my hand size 357 in this revolver was nothing to me. Again I can see how that would be different for each of us, especially a lady with smaller hands.
Old April 23, 2017, 09:30 AM   #33
2damnold4this

I have shot mine with the mild for .357 magnum Gold Dot short barrel loads. It isn't painful at all. It does take more time for follow up shots compared to .38 special +p. I can fire four .38+p rounds in the time it takes me to fire three .357s. I haven't tried it with full house .357s.

I've been carrying the Kimber instead of my J frames and might sell my 642 but I'm keeping my 342. The Kimber is noticeably heavier than either the Airweight or the Airlight.

What aftermarket grip options are out there? I know about the Altamont boot grips but I'd like to have something for the Kimber like the Altamont Bateleur grip I have on the 342.
Old April 23, 2017, 09:11 PM   #34
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
I just handled one today at my local gun shop. Really nice. It didn't follow me home though.
Checked with Cabela''s today, and they had both the deluxe model with wooden grips and the standard model.

Went to the store.

With six shots and a good trigger pull, it really outclasses the Model 642 with which someone departed last year.

It did come home with me.

The entry model.

I doubt that I will ever put a magnum load into it.
Old April 23, 2017, 10:42 PM   #35
Mr.RevolverGuy

Awesome revolver.

Try some factory 357Magnum it does not hurt at all. I put some HOT Hornady Leverevolution through it today and it was not bad at all. Shot them across my chronograph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK0KK-kQF3c

Congratulations on your new revolver.
Old April 24, 2017, 07:33 AM   #36
gnystrom

I see no need for 357's out of a snubbie but I am happy they are built for such a cartridge. I soft load 357 cases because the brass is thicker and I get no buildup in the cylinder chambers.

Those who compare the scarce Kimber to the unobtainable Colt leave me mystified. Most have even seen either gun and then assuming the Colt will be a super gun because is has a horse logo is just plain silly.
Old April 24, 2017, 08:06 AM   #37
Real Gun

Quote:
Those who compare the scarce Kimber to the unobtainable Colt leave me mystified. Most have even seen either gun and then assuming the Colt will be a super gun because is has a horse logo is just plain silly.
At least the Colt is not a 38 pretending to be suitable for 357 Magnum. What would be "silly" for me would be buying the Kimber for "versatility". It is a 38 that holds 6 rounds, just like the Colt.
Old April 25, 2017, 09:38 AM   #38
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
Try some factory 357Magnum it does not hurt at all.
"Hurt" is not the issue.

When this gun comes out, the important things will be (1) speed of presentation and (2) how rapidly the gun can be fired without missing.

Shooting through plate glass or auto bodies will not be on the agenda.

I can see little or no reason for ever loading it with magnum rounds, and several reasons for not doing so.
Old April 25, 2017, 03:28 PM   #39
Model12Win

Good guns but the new Colt's Cobra will probably be superior.
Old April 25, 2017, 03:36 PM   #40
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
Good guns but the new Colt's Cobra will probably be superior.
Pros and cons for each.

The Colt trigger pull is reportedly even lighter than that of the Kimber.

The Colt lock-up apparently works the same way as the old DS--which means that it will require servicing periodically.

The Kimber has rounded edges.

While some may prefer an unshrouded hammer, there are cogent reasons to bob it.

Either one will be superior to a J-Frame in terms of capacity and trigger pull weight.
Old April 25, 2017, 06:38 PM   #41
Mr.RevolverGuy

Oldmarksman

I could not agree more with your statement and guess what. I got a call from a friend today willing to loan me a Colt Cobra to compare it against. Originally when this started a different friend loaned me a Colt DS to compare it against. Luckily I knew about the risk of them not being serviced and coming out of time. SO I checked the revolver before firing it and sure enough the hammer would fall without the cylinder being in total lock up.

That lead to the comparison of the S&W model 640 and the Kimber K6s.
Old July 10, 2017, 06:27 PM   #42
2damnold4this

I've been carrying the K6s for quite some time and it shoots great. I put some paint on the front sight and would like to change it for a more visible sight like an XS Dot or Big Dot.

There was a bit of a shock today. I shot it some more this weekend and was cleaning it at the shop and found rust under the grips. I've had the grips off about a month ago and there was no rust but there is now. I have been carrying every day AIWB and I'm often soaked with sweat at my job or working in the yard but I was surprised to find the rust. A toothbrush with some CLP has taken most of the rust off but I'll have to work on the rest. I think I'll go back to carrying the S&W 342 for now.
Old July 10, 2017, 06:55 PM   #43
FITASC

If the frame is stainless, what is rusting?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old July 10, 2017, 07:55 PM   #44
2damnold4this

The frame is rusting under the grip.
Old July 10, 2017, 09:40 PM   #45
Model12Win

Very nice (not Colt's) revolving pocket pistol of magnum caliber!!
Old July 10, 2017, 10:34 PM   #46
OldMarksman
Staff

This is by no means limited to the K6S. Any stainless revolver with grips is susceptible.

It is a materials properties issue. Look up crevice corrosion.
Old July 11, 2017, 10:48 AM   #47
2damnold4this

I certainly don't blame Kimber for the rust under the grip. That's on me and my sweat. I think in most circumstances, folks will never get rust on their K6s revolvers.

I'll clean it up as best I can but it might be a good idea for me to carry something else, such as my aluminum/titanium 342 in the warmer months, if I want to keep carrying a revolver.
Old July 12, 2017, 09:14 AM   #48
gnystrom

Clean off any surface rust and try a high quality wax. Renaissance seems to be the wax of choice for rust protection. I question if it is not the rubber holding the moisture. My K6S has lasergrips, my IWB holster has no sweat shield, and there is no sign of rust at all.
Old July 12, 2017, 10:37 AM   #49
2damnold4this

Gnystrom, I'm sure you are right about the rubber grips holding moisture being the culprit. There was no rust anywhere but under the grips and there was a bit of moisture and salt deposits still in the left side grip.

I've cleaned the rust away as best I can and will try your tip about using wax under the grips.

If I had dunked my K6s in the ocean, I would have immediately stripped it down for a thorough cleaning. I think if I had removed the grips every few days and wiped down the frame, I would have been ok but I went well over a month while exposing the K6s to copious amounts of perspiration.
Old July 12, 2017, 11:55 AM   #50
Real Gun

I would change holsters and wear OWB when doing sweaty work. The holtser would have a sweat shield. I might also have more than one holster, so a wet one has time to dry out.