The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 2, 2013, 07:27 PM   #26
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
Or it could have been that time of the month.
I almost said that earlier but passed.... Now that you brought it up however....

I met a girl that saved her, well, items in the freezer and used them as boot drags during deer season. According to both her and her husband, they said it never failed to bring the bucks in.

I don't doubt it either but I'm just not willing to go that far.
Old April 2, 2013, 09:50 PM   #27
BuckRub

This year I'm going to **** all over myself before going hunting just to prove to y'all that deer don't care. I'll report back to tell ya
Old April 3, 2013, 12:13 PM   #28
shortwave

Quote:
I met a girl that saved her, well, items in the freezer and used them as boot drags during deer season. According to both her and her husband, they said it never failed to bring the bucks in.

I've always considered myself a serious,legal hunter. Having utilized urine from bucks or estrus does, tarsal glands as well as relocating fresh deer droppings to equate them into my hunting scenario. Have even used the same from goats as well in deer hunting with success...

...but there are limits to the extent I'd go for a monster buck.
For the record...this would be above my limits.

Last edited by shortwave; April 3, 2013 at 12:22 PM.
Old April 4, 2013, 02:13 PM   #29
ChasingWhitetail91

It's all hype as far as im concerned. My dad shot his biggest deer while smoking a cigarette upwind from it. My grandfather and his friends all smoke and even cook while hunting, and all have harvested many deer doing so.
Old April 4, 2013, 03:38 PM   #30
Erno86

I can usually tell a hot doe has been through the woods, cuz the urine on the leaves smells like vanilla extract; which can drive bucks crazy during the rut.

If you drag hot female pee rags through the woods... be prepared for wild dog/coyote packs following the scent trail. It happened to me once --- wild dogs --- just glad I was up in a treestand; with my bow at the time.
Old April 4, 2013, 07:00 PM   #31
bamaranger

downwind

You can be as foul as smelling human as there can be, smoke a pipe, cigar and cig, spit, eat beans 3x aday, chew, and never wash your clothes, pee and crap near where you hunt.

You can be and do all these things, but there is not a deer alive will smell you if you are down wind at the right moment. We cannot control the wind, and can barely predict it, so we pay attention to odors, at least some of us.

I hear the "wind don't matter" stories, but I don't hear it from bowhunters very much. A rifle lets you get ahead of the wind a bit in some places. A deer inside 50 yards, down wind, will pick you off, eventually.

I gave up on cover scents and deer attractants quite a few years ago. Lots of fuss and mess and questionable results. Also, hunting pressure matters.
deer spooked and wary from lots of pressure play the wind hard.
Old April 4, 2013, 07:53 PM   #32
egor20

I hunt on horseback and tend to hang my clothes that I'll be using near my mare for a few days before I go out. Not sure it works but I've never gotten the "head up" that some of my other friends get.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old April 4, 2013, 08:09 PM   #33
BuckRub

I've hunted a lot of places that deer tend to be very spooky and you need to be careful of scent but most places deer are curious. For the most part you're wasting your time and money if you by too much commercial products. If worried buy some pure vanilla from grocery store and a little dab on boots before walking to stand or stalking. 10 times better and a lot cheaper than all the crap they sell at sporting goods section. I don't have to use it where I live but needed it other places I hunted.
Old April 4, 2013, 08:14 PM   #34
shortwave

Quote:
I hear the "wind don't matter" stories, but I don't hear it from bowhunters very much. A rifle lets you get ahead of the wind a bit in some places. A deer inside 50 yards, down wind, will pick you off, eventually.
+1 bamaranger...

...And you most likely won't. Not an avid,successful bow hunter that's used to bringing home especially bucks that others dream about.

That big ole buck didn't get that way by walking into a smell he is not familiar with in his core area. He'll skirt that area and most likely the hunter will never see him and will never know he was busted.

I feel certain I can get by with less scent control or less playing the wind when dealing with does or a younger buck even when bow hunting. But I know you have to play the wind and practice scent control as best you can if you're hunting that monster buck.

I've not found that peeing from my bow stand to have adverse affect on big bucks. Don't think I'd put my fav. cologne on and expect the same results.

egor

Agree with you as well as far as your clothes smelling of horses.

There's cattle all around here. Every deer around these parts graze with the cattle and are accustom to the smell. Hanging my hunting clothes in the barn or stepping in a pile on my way to the stand provides a great cover scent.

Last edited by shortwave; April 4, 2013 at 08:23 PM.
Old April 4, 2013, 08:24 PM   #35
eldermike

If you bow hunt enough you will learn that the oldest doe will bust you if the wind is swirling.
Old April 4, 2013, 08:30 PM   #36
arch308

I do believe that deer become slightly accoustomed to some human odors like cigarette smoke, gas & oil. But I've spent alot of years in an elevated blind with a good view and have seen many, many deer cross my scent path downwind and react. Even when I dabbled in scent products I found them busting me at times.
I have also had deer cross my scent path while I was smoking and not pay any attention at all. For myself, I just face the wind and look behind me occasionally. The wind/air doesn't allways travel linearly so you never know.
I do wear camo 'cause they are my hunting clothes and it can't hurt, especially when still or bow hunting.
Old April 4, 2013, 08:32 PM   #37
teeroux

Quote:
I know what you are saying...human urine will draw them in for some reason!
Absolutely wouldn't you be interested in someone who had been in or around your home and were they went?
Old April 4, 2013, 10:57 PM   #38
shortwave

Quote:
I do believe that deer become slightly accoustomed to some human odors like cigarette smoke, gas & oil.
Think you're right as well arch308

There are many Metro Parks with thousands of deer in them and thousands of people a year walking threw them. Those deer are born in and are use to breathing air containing car fumes, tobacco smoke, perfumes, sweating joggers etc. Also the deer get too used to people. I used to run in a park in Reynoldsburg,Oh (Blacklick Metro Park) that you literally had to be careful while running/jogging down the narrow paths that a deer didn't step out in the path and you fell over it.

Not many country deer will ever smell those smells and the instant the older/mature deer do, they are alerted.

Last edited by shortwave; April 5, 2013 at 06:47 AM.
Old April 5, 2013, 04:00 AM   #39
giaquir

I don't know about other smells but they seem to be attracted
to the smoke and smell of Garcia Vegas and that's a fact.
Old April 5, 2013, 03:03 PM   #40
globemaster3

I've had does stop the moment they hit my trail like someone smacked them in the head. I've also had does almost stick their head into my ground blind (with my oldest and I in it) before legal shooting light. I really think its dependent on location.

As for bucks, I've never had one scent me that I could see. I've been snagged moving, but have just not seen the reaction to scent. I had a buck that walked up to me, up a draw with me at the top, while I sat on the ground with my back on a blowdown wearing a borrowed orange jacket that almost made me look like the kid from "A Christmas Story". He got within finger football distance before I shot him. He looked at me several times and never thought about it.

I've also had bucks look up at me in the stand, like "something just doesn't look right", pause for a few moments, then move on. I've also had them look up and not think twice about it. I've had them walk under my stand and move on.

I don't go overboard with scent lock products, just wash my gear in scent free, try to bathe with scent free products, avoid petroleum, and just go hunt and pay attention to the wind. Either I will see deer or I won't. Either way, it's better than work.

All I can do is prep for the worst and hope for the best.

Quote:
We won't talk about what happens when you eat baked beans with deer burger and sausage the night before. There's nothing like getting in your stand and it hitting you five minutes later. After a quick run down the ladder and stripping off clothes while running through the woods, deer crashing everywhere. You don't notice the cold when you have to crap!
Now, that was funny, and another reason to pack toilet paper in the pack in addition to blood trailing!

BTW, I also know first-hand that coons will take large offense to coon cover scent. Beware large, angry male coons walking up to your stand if you use it!

"We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control."