The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 2, 2010, 09:47 PM   #1
Fat White Boy

Keep the .44 Magnum

ANCHORAGE, Alaska -- Officials say a backpacker shot and killed a grizzly bear with his handgun in Alaska's Denali National Park.

Park spokeswoman Kris Fister says man and woman reported that they were hiking Friday evening when the bear emerged from trailside brush and charged the woman.

Fister says the man fired nine rounds from his .45 caliber, semiautomatic pistol at the animal, which then stopped and walked into the brush.

On Saturday, rangers found the dead bear about 100 feet from the shooting site.

Rangers say it was the first known instance of a grizzly bear being shot by a visitor in the wilderness portion of Denali.
Old June 2, 2010, 09:56 PM   #2
DiscoRacing

Thats why I have three 44s..
Old June 5, 2010, 12:02 PM   #3
dinsmore83

while I have no argument about the 44 Magnum being a better round for stopping, I have to say that since they do not say how many times the bear was hit, I won't make judgment on the 45, until there is more info, because, if he only hit it one time, that is very different than emptying the entire magazine into the bear, and not killing it right there
Old June 5, 2010, 12:34 PM   #4
Jack O'Conner

Years ago, our family knew an old timer who lived most of his life in the wilderness areas of Wyoming. During summer he worked in high alpine country as Shepard for a large sheep outfit. He guided hunters in Fall and trapped a bit before tough winter set in. His habit was to head south to Texas for the Winter where he found odd jobs to support himself.

This man's name was Joe Adorjian. I used to love his adventure tales. Joe told me many times that a grizzly was easier to kill than a bull elk. His habit was to shoot into the shoulder to knock the animal down and leave it alone until it died. Joe's rifle: battered German Mauser in 8mm. This cartridge is commonly loaded by USA factories to power level of 32 Special!

Jack