The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 28, 2007, 06:24 PM   #1
M14

Dumb Die Question

This is something I've wondered about for years & finally I'll show my stupidity & ask.

I've read many times about adjusting FL resizing dies to only neck size. So why do they sell neck sizing dies as a separate item?
Old June 28, 2007, 06:38 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

You can't push the case in all the way to the junction of the neck and the shoulder in a FL and still size only the neck. In point of fact, it can be a desirable state of affairs not to, since a slightly fat area at the back of the neck helps center the neck in the chamber. Some of the neck-size-only dies have special features, like the interchangeable sizing rings or the Lee collet dies that size around a mandrel and can't therefore, develop a "dreaded donut" of flowed brass at the neck and shoulder junction.

Nick

As an afterthought, I suppose some people with overly wide chambers are not be able even to neck size in an FL die.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old June 28, 2007, 06:57 PM   #3
mrawesome22

Quote:
As an afterthought, I suppose some people with overly wide chambers are not be able even to neck size in an FL die.
With my VLS chamber it is impossible to neck size only with FL dies. The web area starts getting sized before the neck even begins to get sized. This is exactly the area I don't want sized.
Old June 28, 2007, 09:50 PM   #4
Linear Thinker

M14 - an excellent question.

Backing out a FL sizing die is a shortcut which allows partial neck sizing. It works better for some relatively straight-bodied cartridges, and for those that have been fired in tight chambers.

The benefit of a neck die is that it will size the whole neck allowing for proper bullet fit and tension, but will leave the shoulder and the web alone, allowing a proper fit of a cartridge in the chamber.

After a few firings, you may need to full-size the case anyway as the brass will keep on stretching and will become tight to chamber.
That's the reason you need both neck and FL dies.
LT