The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 29, 2006, 12:08 PM   #1
ninemm

Shotgun/Rifle Combo

For those of you that own, shot, or are familar with a shotgun/rifle combo, which brand, IYO, is the best.

I am considering a 12 gauge and 308 combo. Do you recommend something different and if so, why?

Also, what do you believe the advantages are for this set up?

Thanks in advance.
Old May 29, 2006, 12:53 PM   #2
ClarkEMyers

Was Valmet then Tikka for an affordable one

Was Valmet then Tikka for an affordable one. Obviously the more expensive ones really are better but perhaps not more useful.

Notice that some jurisdictions will limit or ciminalize combination guns in the field as poacher's tools. That is some places ban carrying a combination gun at a time and place where only bird hunting is legal and such. Where a mixed bag is legal a combination gun is a useful, fun thing.
Old May 29, 2006, 01:51 PM   #3
rxrick

Personally, I prefer the BRNO ZH3XX series. I have a 307 (.22 Hornet over 12 ga) and 308 (7x65R over 12 ga), in addition to several O/U shotgun barrel sets and a 344 Superposed rifle (7x57R over 7X57R). The 307 was a perfect turkey gun for Colorado, but Idaho doesn't allow it. I think the 308 is ideal for deer sized game when grouse are in season or when there is a possibility of jumping a deer at close range and taking a snap shot with the shotgun.

Rick
Old May 29, 2006, 02:46 PM   #4
ninemm

rxrick,

Personally, I prefer the BRNO ZH3XX series

Thanks for the response. What is the BRNO series. Where can i obtain information regarding that brand?

Thanks again.
Old May 29, 2006, 09:33 PM   #5
rxrick

BRNO is rather obscure. The ZH series will occasionally wander across the various gun sale sites. There is a dearth of information about the models themselves, however. The factory website: http://www.zbrojovkabrno.com/arms/eng/zbrane.htm doesn't mention them at all. https://store.bluebookinc.com/downlo...uct=GUN&id=186 offers pdf files of factory manuals, etc. and shows entries for the series.

The action is very robust and unusual, with a sliding breech plate and top locking greener-style bolt piece. It is not much like the typical O/U action. The wood stays with the barrels and has no function in the lockup. The safety is in the front of the trigger guard, a la Garand, and automatically actuated when the action is opened. The triggers are front/top then bottom and rear/bottom, which is a little odd compared with most others. The combo guns come with a set trigger for the front/top barrel. I may have to buckle down and do a photo essay some day.

Rick
Old May 30, 2006, 07:14 PM   #6
jhgreasemonkey

I put an answer for you in the rifle forum.