The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 3, 2007, 06:37 PM   #1
gmstsd

Remington 870 or Mossberg 500C

I am looking to buy a "first" shotgun for my son. I have read here and there about the Remington 870 Express as one if not the best "pump" shotgun ever. Then I came to read about the Mossberg 500C alternative but I really don't know which one to choose.
I would greatly appreciate your opinions, experiences, comments, that could help me decide. Thanks
Old January 3, 2007, 07:03 PM   #2
63Belair

I have heard that both are terrible firearms. Poor quality, constant jams, and a general lack of value for what your pay.

Just kidding.

I go skeet shooting with 2 of my friends fairly often. One has an 870, another has a mossberg 500, and I have a winchester 1300. All three are quality firearms and you can't go wrong with any of them. Just because they are all quality firearms does not mean that they are the same. They have their differences, and just like a picture is worth 1000 words, actually holding one is worth 1000 pictures. Go to a store and find which one fits best.
Old January 3, 2007, 07:14 PM   #3
chris in va

Also depends on how big your son is right now.

Mossberg has their Bantam series. They purposely brought the forearm closer to the shooter which makes for easier shucking. Also keep in mind the Remington is steel and is heavier.

Take him in to a Gander Mountain, etc and have him decide.
Old January 4, 2007, 05:08 AM   #4
kozak6

There's nothing wrong with a good Ithica model 37 either.

Getting the one that fits him best sounds like the best idea.
Old January 4, 2007, 05:37 AM   #5
dixierifleman

we dont have gander mountains here in florida. go to a sports authority or local gun store. i personally love both. cant really go wrong with either.
Old January 4, 2007, 08:55 AM   #6
Clayfish

I'll agree with everyone else. I love my 500 but the 870 is a great gun too. You can't go wrong with either. I would let your son decide by handling each gun. If it's supposed to be a surprise I would surprise him with the news that Dad is taking him to buy his first shotgun and he'll get to pick it out.
Old January 4, 2007, 09:59 AM   #7
Mokumbear

Gmstsd...

Assuming your son is responsible and gets proper safety training,
he is lucky to have you as a dad!

Good luck with your choice and let us know how it works out.

I also agree, shopping in person can't be beat. Things look different in
professional pictures in catalogues and on the 'net.
Nothing like handling them in person to check the quality of workmanship and fit!

A lot of parents from my dad's generation thought their responsibility was to go to work and come home and be fed by mom and that's about it. OK, to be fair, we are still friends and
he would bring me home a "Hot Wheels" car once a week.

Good luck with the choice and cherish this "bonding" moment with your son!

(I am still waiting for my daughter to be old enough to learn how to shoot.)
Old January 4, 2007, 10:58 AM   #8
Kentucky Deer Hunter

Both of the guns you mentioned are great guns. Like it has been said so far, they are different in their own ways. I purchased a Mossberg 500 last year and my buddy has an 870 Express. The only reason I bought the Mossberg is because it felt good on my shoulder AND I got the package deal. The gun came with a standard barrel and a rifled slug barrel new from the factory as well. I was looking for a "field use" shotgun and not something to hang on the wall (j/k). (Got a safe? If you have kids, you NEED one!) I haven't used the slug barrel yet, but I may try it out next deer season.

Now I know you are not looking for something that is going to blow your kids socks off , so put the slug barrel away for awhile and then when he is ready, you already have a deer gun for him that he is familiar with and can control without spending any money. Just my .02

By the way, I think it is great you are getting your son involved. I have already started shopping for my little girls first gun. May be awhile for me though, she is still 1 (one).

Imagine if every outdoorsman taught the sport to 2 young people -----> What are you doing to save our sport?
Old January 4, 2007, 11:10 AM   #9
Mokumbear

Slugs...

While we are at it...

My local indoor range will only allow you to fire "low recoil slugs".

Do you actually need a rifled barrel to fire slugs at targets?
Or... can you take a Remington 870 "off the shelf" and fire slugs?
Is the rifled barrel just an accuracy thing for hunting?

Also, do slugs, even in "low recoil" deliver more recoil than firing buckshot?

The local gun shop guy said that the even the low recoil slugs pack a good deal of recoil.
Old January 4, 2007, 11:37 AM   #10
Kentucky Deer Hunter

The rifled slug barrel is more accurate than the regular shot barrel. They have a twist (The Mossberg website does not list the rate of twist) that causes the slug to spin out of the barrel therefore creating more accuracy. Also, the rifled barrels are shorter, making them more convenient in the woods/treestand and they come with iron sights or scope mounts.

My buddy did fire a few slugs out of his Remington 870 and it fired fine. However, after he fired it he forgot about his choke tubes and has had problems since. I couldn't imagine firing a slug through a choked barrel or even a barrel with the choke unscrewed (possibly strip out the machining?) (Unless it was an unchoked barrel).

My opinion is, they make regular (shot) barrels for shotshells and rifled barrels for slugs. But let me know how it goes if you shoot a slug out of a regular barrel.

As far as low-recoil slugs, never shot them. I have no idea, sorry...

Imagine if every outdoorsman taught the sport to 2 young people -----> What are you doing to save our sport?
Old January 4, 2007, 11:49 AM   #11
Clayfish

Slugs from a smoothbore are fine. Just remember to go with an imp cyl or cyl choke. Stay away from saboted slugs unless you have a rifled barrel. If you fire slugs from a smoothbore you will get leading so make sure to clean the bbl with a good solvent after your range or hunting trip.
Old January 4, 2007, 01:31 PM   #12
Mokumbear

For what it's worth...

The model I am considering, the Remingtom 870 Express synthetic with
18" barrel, has a "fixed choke".

I am going to assume it's fine for slugs or shot (unless someone here
has info to the contrary?)

Also, so I can learn, could you clarify the difference between a "imp cyl and a cyl choke"?
Old January 4, 2007, 04:03 PM   #13
chupps

I agree with a previous poster - make sure the gun fits your son. My first shotgun was my dad's model 1897. Way to big for me and probably still is. Bringing it up to my should was a task. By the way, I love my 870.
Old January 4, 2007, 06:18 PM   #14
akr

You don't want it to be fixed cylinder or improved cylinder(which is perfect for slugs), because you will want to shoot regular shot with it and you would want to be able to have a modified or full choke. I have several of both 870's and 500's, and I really think that you will get more for your money with the Mossberg 500, and it is a darn good gun.