The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 21, 2001, 09:14 AM   #1
Indy

Spotting scopes: Leupold wind river??

i need to get a spotting scope and thought that I might pick up a Nikon Earth and Sky. But I just found out Leupold makes a new and cheaper spotting scope in there Wing River line that's priced at $200 rather than Nikon's $400. Anyone look through these yet? Are they any good? Any other sugegstions? I'd liek to keep it under $400 preferably around $300.
Thanks
Old December 22, 2001, 12:24 PM   #2
Jaywalker

Indy, the best place to go to get good reviews of spotting scopes and binoculars is http://www.betterviewdesired.com/. It's a birding site, and birders have been a real boon to hunters and shooters. Birders have driven manufacturers to better and better products over the last ten years or so. They don't comment on rifle scopes, so we're still on our own there. You get what you pay for, of course, and while a $200 glass might be "good enough," a $400 glass is likely to be "better."

Jaywalker
Old December 25, 2001, 01:00 AM   #3
Cain R

Far as I know, could be wrong, looked seriously at the Wind River Line but the Leupold rep told me Wind River products are simply Taso products with different badging.
Old December 25, 2001, 01:50 PM   #4
Indy

Thanks for the replies....a repackaged Tasco?? Hold on...:barf: ...now I feel better. I think I'll get the Nikon...
-Indy
Old December 25, 2001, 07:41 PM   #5
Swamp Yankee

Indy

I'm in the same boat looking to upgrade my spotting scope and looking at the same price range. Several shooter's in the club I belong to all recommend (and use) the Bushnell / Bausch and Lomb line. Most of the ones I've looked through or borrowed seem very well made and clear but they are also !0+ years old. That could be good or bad. I'm hoping to get out to the larger shops next weekend and see what I can find.
Anyone have any comments/experience with the Bushnell or B&L spotting scopes?
Take Care
Old December 27, 2001, 07:18 AM   #6
WSmac

I searched around for a while too. I finally bought a Burris Landmark 15-45x 60 from Natchez for $138. I tried it out and wasn't so happy with it. It had a bit of a long eye relief at 15x but lost it as I zoomed in. The clarity also suffered when I left 15x. I talked with Jim Owens from www.jarheadtop.com, as well as looking at all the competitive shooter, and birder sites I could find.
I realized that I wanted a fixed power eyepiece, with a 45deg. angle to it. I returned the Burris to Natchez and they treated me fine. I ordered the KOWA 501 with a 20x eyepiece, and it arrived the day after Christmas. This is an outstanding scope for the money! I am very happy with it and very glad I went to this model. For $163, I got a lightweight, high-quality glass, scope. This scope is much shorter and lighter in weight than I expected, but this will work out fine for the field. It has a very clear view, extremely sharp, in my opinion. If I ever need a scope for serious bench shooting, I'd probably give the KOWA TS models with the 77, or 80mm objective lenses a try. Of course they cost several hundred dollars more!
Old December 30, 2001, 01:45 PM   #7
Fatelvis

So nobody has a WindRiver spotter yet? I`d be very interested in hearing thier opinions of it also. I have a pair of WindRiver 10x50 binocs, and I love `em! I visited Leupold`s site, and they indeed do import the spotters, but they`re made to Leupold`s specifications. That may make all the difference. Please, somebody, give us some input. Thanx
Old December 30, 2001, 06:40 PM   #8
Mike Baugh

A good place to buy the Nikon is B&H Photo, you can get the Sky & Earth 15 x 45 x60 for $280 and with the tripod for $320, case included. If you can use a straight 20 power they have it for $190 with a free tripod [one of their models]. Sniper Country also has a review on spotting scopes and they tested the Wind River. Good luck, Mike...

B&H Photo

Spotting scope review
Old December 30, 2001, 08:36 PM   #9
C.R.Sam

Dealt with B&H for years, great outfit.

Sam