The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old December 19, 2001, 08:37 PM   #1
Alex Johnson

S&W model 1 1/2 ????

Hi everybody, I stopped by the gunstore today and saw a gun that I thought was pretty neat, so I bought it, but I'm wondering exactly what it is. I believe it is a S&W model 1 1/2 as it has birdshead wood grips and is 32 caliber. To load the thing you have to pull the cylinder out of the frame and there is a pin that goes halfway up the barrel. Is this a 1 1/2?

I assume the caliber is 32 rimfire. The gun is tight, has a good bore and is sitting with about 90% original blueing and the serial number is 512XX. Anybody have any idea when it was made and what its approximate value would be. I paid $250 for it, did I do OK?

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks

Alex
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and kill him.
- Mark Twain
Old December 19, 2001, 11:39 PM   #2
C.R.Sam

Sho sounds like a 1½. .32 rimfire tip up barrel. To pin it down would have to know exact markings, barrel length, barrel round or octagonal.

From ser # looks like a second issue 1½ tip up. If barrel 2 3/4 or less, books at 550. If barrel 3½ books at 300......both numbers for ninety percenters.

Sounds like you did OK on price at worst and great otherwise.

Sam
Old December 19, 2001, 11:49 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, Alex,

Sounds like a 1 1/2 second issue. It should have a fluted cylinder and a 3 1/2 inch barrel with a rib (see below). The last patent date should be 1865. The caliber is .32 rimfire Long. Ammunition is (last I heard) available from Navy Arms and many dealers, or from Old Western Scrounger (www.ows-ammo.com).

The pin under the barrel is the ejector. After firing, tip up the barrel, remove the cylinder and push each chamber backward down over the pin to eject the empty case.

I have shot a goodly number of those and the Number 2 and found them quite accurate, though with atrocious sights.

You did OK on the price. S&W's don't bring the big bucks that Colts of the same era do, but one like you describe should go for around $375-400. If the barrel is 4", the value goes way up to around $2400.

Jim
Old December 19, 2001, 11:54 PM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

Ok, two possibilities here.

It could be a 1 1/2, or it could be a 2.

The birdshead grips make me think it's a 1 1/2, but supposedly there are some No. 2s out there that were made with birdshead grips.

Caliber is probably .32 Long Rimfire.

If it's a 1 1/2, that's an OK price.

If it's a BHbutt No. 2, it's extremely rare, and could be very very valuable.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 20, 2001, 12:59 AM   #5
C.R.Sam

Whoops......saw that ser # right for 1½ and didn't look at the 2s. Darn serial could fit a 2 too.

Thanks for the tweek Mike. Larned sumpin on that one.

Sam
Old December 20, 2001, 01:53 AM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

Sam,

The Birds Head No. 2s are apprently NOT confirmed, and could actually be foreign copies. The No. 2s were pretty heavily copied overseas, apparently, even down to the markings.

It's one of those "holy grail" revolvers for an S&W collector, not unlike the 1896 Model Hand Ejectors in .32 S&W. Supposedly there were fewer than 50 made.

Old December 20, 2001, 11:28 AM   #7
Alex Johnson

Thanks for all the great info. I found a picture of the 1 1/2 and I'm pretty sure that's what it is, I'm guessing it has the 3 1/2 barrel on it, but I haven't had a chance to measure it, I'm pretty sure it's not any shorter than that. I'd been watching the pistol for quite awhile at the store and when they dropped it down I knew I had to have it, so I guess I'll have a new toy. If I can find some of the reproduction ammo I'll probably shoot it a bit, does anybody know if it would be legal in any of the side matches in Cowboy Action Shooting?
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and kill him.
- Mark Twain
Old December 20, 2001, 11:33 AM   #8
Alex Johnson

I just checked out the Old Western Scrounger and they have 32 Rimfire short ammunition for sale. Will the shorts work in this pistol?
- Mark Twain
Old December 20, 2001, 12:47 PM   #9
Mike Irwin
Staff

If the gun is chambered for .32 Long rimfire, yes, the .32 Short rimfire will work.

Old December 20, 2001, 02:52 PM   #10
James K
Member In Memoriam

It is sighted for the .32 Long. I shot one at 7 yards off hand and put all the shots in less than an inch, so it is not a toy.

Jim
Old December 20, 2001, 06:06 PM   #11
C.R.Sam

Just because a Smith is old doesn't mean that one can't be a tackdriver. Shooter does their part with one in good condition, the gun will do the job.

Sam