The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 6, 2001, 10:54 AM   #1
M1 grand man

what do i need 2 start

I have a Ruger pc4 it shoots the .40 auto round what do I need 2 start reloading and how much $ would it be. and i can not find .40
bullets is 10mm the same as the .40 if n e 1 could help me with this thinks
Old August 6, 2001, 11:15 AM   #2
Poodleshooter

It'll cost you about $100 or so to get set up to reload for your .40 Please get a reloading manual and read up on what you need and how to do it before you start. "ABC's of Reloading"is a good way to start. It may be at your local library, or it can be bought on Amazon or Barnes and Noble's websites. .40 and 10mm do use the same diameter bullets.
Old August 6, 2001, 11:18 AM   #3
Pampers

Lee is a good place to start.

Lee offers good, basic presses. Their dies include a powder scoop for measuring the powder, thus eleminating the need for an expensive scale. That'll get you going for less than $75.

Yes .40 Auto and 10mm use the same bullets. For economics, find a good cast bullet supplier. Select a powder from the chart in the Lee die set. Any small pistol primer will work.

Yr. Obt. Svnt.
NRA Golden Eagle
Old August 6, 2001, 12:44 PM   #4
Steve Smith

While what these guys said is truthful, I think that there's a better way. Go to Ebay and buy good used stuff, rather than new Lee stuff. Look for names like Hornady, RCBS, and Lyman. See if you can find a good turret press for < $50...I did. You can also find a good set of scales and dies that will fit your needs. You may even find one seller with several items that you need. A good set of calipers can be had from Midway.

If you go the ultimate el-cheapo route, you'll wind up buying good things later. Good equipment lasts a very long time...I have two reloading tools on my bench that are almost twice my age, and they still work great. I bought both of them used (obviously) and I'm very satisfied with thier performance.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old August 6, 2001, 06:41 PM   #5
Steve Smith

BTW, you'll need:

a press
dies (size/deprime die, belling die, seater die, and crimp die. some deater dies also crimp)
powder measure
scale
calipers
a couple of reloading books (I recommend Lyman because they don't make powder or bullets...making a more versatile book)
priming tool
loading blocks (you can make these yourself at home if you have some scrap wood and a drill)

That's about it for pistol rounds. You can eliminate the powder measure and scale by using the aforementioned Lee dippers, but they're not the greatest solution. You can eliminate the priming tool and use the one on the press that you buy, but they don't work as well as the hand held tools.

Keep us posted, we love to help!

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old August 7, 2001, 06:47 PM   #6
WESHOOT2

PLEASE READ

First, read the Speer #13.

Then buy safety glasses, and wear them EVERY TIME you touch anything besides a book when loading.

Highly recommend a cheap scale, but invest in a (less-than-$20) Scale Weight Check set, and use it EVERY TIME you set up, or leave and come back.
Trust me on this.

If starting again with what I know now I'd buy a high-quality used press, either RCBS or Redding, and LEE dies in 40 S&W.
I'd buy a RCBS 505 scale, their hand-prime tool, and LEE powder dippers.
RCBS shellholders.
I'd buy a $25 dial caliper.
Without question, I'd invest $3 in the little LEE chamfer tool.
As stated above, a scale check set is mandatory.

If I wanted to splurge I'd add a RCBS or Hornady powder measure, a Lyman 4-Die Deluxe set, and a LEE Reloader press ($20) to set up next to my main press for mounting the Lyman powder-through flare die with the powder measure on top.

Loading blocks from MTM cost $4.

Load data is everywhere on the 'net, and you can ask for specifics here.
Old August 8, 2001, 12:16 PM   #7
M1 grand man

and what about used brass

do i need a tumbler 4 all ready shot brass or is that just 2 make it pretty
Old August 8, 2001, 01:30 PM   #8
Steve Smith

Tumblers are really nice, but if you're really in the cheap, you can use reallly hot water and a little dish soap. Stir very briskly and rinse under very hot water several times. Shake out all the excess moisture. Lay 'em flat in an old baking pan and bake them in your oven on the lowest heat until the water's gone. "Wa-la"

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old August 12, 2001, 11:03 AM   #9
Target Shooter

M1 grand or M1 Garand?
M1 Garand is the military rifle.
M1 grand is?

mispelled or hidden meaning?

TS