The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old February 4, 2015, 12:30 PM   #1
skizzums

never hurts to ask

last week I backed into my wife's car, pretty dang hard too, need a new rear passenger door and a paintjob on that side. of course it has to be the expensive pearl lime green color. anyways, as I was driving around getting quotes, I came across one shop that did tires too. I ask "hey, whatcha guys do with your used wheel weights?" "well", he said "the battery recycler just takes it off our hands."

what?!! that's terrible, can I have em. sure, on the house. AND I can come by whenever and take em outta there, saves him money to pay the battery guy. sweet, probably good for another hundred pounds every couple months. ill toss him cash eventually just to keep him happy. I now have two small shops that give me their lead exclusively. lovin it. all you guys out there just need to put in the foot work, the lead is out there and so are nice people, albeit harder to find these days.

Old February 4, 2015, 01:21 PM   #2
Beagle333

Score all you can while the gettin's good!
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old February 4, 2015, 07:36 PM   #3
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Good score! Let me know how well that nail shoots!

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old February 4, 2015, 08:08 PM   #4
Wreck-n-Crew

Heck yeah! That's what I'm saying!
Old February 5, 2015, 03:23 AM   #5
chris in va

I see some zinc and Fe weights in there. They will need to be weeded out first, along with the tape weights.
Old February 5, 2015, 05:35 AM   #6
skizzums

what wrong with tape weights, I love those things, I keep them separate since they are mostly pure. other than being stinky when you ingot them, they are great
Old February 5, 2015, 08:21 PM   #7
Wreck-n-Crew

I found some pewter be nice for my SOWW's! Might just blend the SOWW's in the next batch o COWW's and throw the pewter in.! Have to sleep om it alittle more.
Old February 5, 2015, 09:57 PM   #8
skizzums

I think I found a couple pewter items at a thrift store next to my office yesterday, I couldn't be 100%, so I am going to go back tomorrow with a pair of snips and make sure its as soft as it seems
Old February 5, 2015, 10:02 PM   #9
Nick_C_S

Kind of in the upper-right, I think I see the positive end of a AA Duracell battery??
Old February 8, 2015, 12:21 PM   #10
mikld

I escaped CA about 6 years ago and hadn't seen a lead wheel weight in 5 or six years prior to that. I wouldn't care if the bucket had rabbit pellets in it along with those wheel weights!

When I worked in a shop, the mechanics always appreciated a dozen nice fresh doughnuts (or more depending on how many fellers were in the shop). We had a feller that would bring in warm, fresh bagels and he could get just about anything he wanted done in our shop. I'd say instead of offering money, drop by some morning on occasion with some nice fresh doughnuts (or bagels, or pan dulche), just for the heck of it. They'll remember you...
Old February 8, 2015, 09:51 PM   #11
Snyper

Quote:
Kind of in the upper-right, I think I see the positive end of a AA Duracell battery??
If you used an Energizer instead, would your bullets keep going and going and going................................?
Old February 9, 2015, 12:36 AM   #12
RodTheWrench

Get 'em while you can. Even in the great Conservative State of Utah, we haven't been able to get lead weights for our wheel balancer for over a year.
Old February 9, 2015, 08:48 AM   #13
Rottweiler

Skizzums,

It wouldn't hurt to stop by that shop every couple weeks with a box of bakery donuts. One tire shop that has been supplying me with wheelweights for over 10 years refer to me as "The donut guy" when I walk in.

Stopping in late on a Friday afternoon with a cold 12 pack also makes you VERY popular with the guys out in the shop. That will almost certainly get the lead loaded into your vehicle for you too.
Old February 10, 2015, 10:29 AM   #14
A pause for the COZ

Good score!!! Long past the days could get them regularly around here.
I get a few here and there. Recyclers hit all the places around me and they pay.
Indoor gun ranges are out now too. They got them too.

Cant blame them though. Take the money while its there.
So I trap mine and buy the rest.
Old February 10, 2015, 06:24 PM   #15
straight-shooter

I was fortunate enough to find a skid of 1,000 pounds of WW at 30 cents a pound. I took the entire lot and shared a couple hundred pounds with a friend. Then if that wasn't enough, I have another friend that works part time at a local tire shop. He dropped in unannounced with two full buckets of WW's the other night.

I'm not done! I made a delivery to a gentleman and noticed about 200 pounds of soft lead in a box in his garage. I asked about it and he said he used it for weight in the back of his pickup truck but no longer owns the truck. I was told if I came back after work I could have it. I now use this for a ratio to WW and tin.

Now I realize it's not a bad thing but wow, I'm wondering if I'll ever shoot all this lead!
Old February 10, 2015, 06:55 PM   #16
Smoke & Recoil

@ Post #9...I think what you see is a valve stem.

Not to hijack this thread, but I have (2) one hundred pound blocks of Doe Run
lead...I'm trying to find a way to slab it for easy handling, any ideas ?

@ skizzums,
Listen to the others, Donuts work wonders...I too Donutize vendors, THINK REWARDING !
Old February 10, 2015, 11:54 PM   #17
skizzums

donuts are a great idea. I usually try to make em take a 20$ at least, but donuts would be a better sentiment.
Old February 12, 2015, 10:58 AM   #18
salvadore

I bought 300 lbs of ww a while back lotsa valve stems some zn and fe. Like mikld was happy to have them. Two years ago I was given close to 400lbs of clean ww with lots of zn and fe, still happy get them.