The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 24, 2012, 09:30 PM   #1
Surgical Precision

Concealed Carry - M&Pc, SRc, or XDsc???

Hello all,

I am looking for my first concealed carry weapon and I'm torn between the M&P40c, Ruger SR40c, and the XD40sc. I have shot guns for years and consider myself to be a decent shot. This will not be my first handgun, but it will be my first Semi Auto and will be used primarily for carry. I prefer guns in a caliber that starts with a 4 , so I am also open to suggestions for 45 ACP for carry as well.

I know I should try these before I buy, but I live in BFE and the only gun range that's remotely close that has a rental range has all Glocks and a few suppressed 22's. Hence, I'm left to fondle them and dry fire. I've watched countless YouTube videos on each and think that now I have too mich information to the point where I'm confused. Analysis paralysis.

Help me out TFL!
Old June 24, 2012, 09:36 PM   #2
ScotchMan

I would go M&P, XDsc, SR40c in that order.

Personal preference.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old June 24, 2012, 09:45 PM   #3
jmhyer

For the ones mentioned, I would go with the same order as Scotch.

I would like, however, to suggest that you check out the PPS (which comes in .40). I have one and love it.

I might also suggest that carrying a full size weapon concealed is really not any harder than one of the compacts you are considering. Therefore, I would suggest you look at the full sized counterparts of these weapons.
Old June 24, 2012, 10:16 PM   #4
tahunua001

the SR40C is the smallest and has the most rounded design which by common logic makes it easiest to conceal. I have never owned an XDSC but my XDM compact is incredibly reliable and as of last weeks shooting session is apparently the most accurate compact I have ever shot(bone stock factory). I have never dealt with M&P compacts but the triggers are the same as their full sized models and many(not all, or even most, but many) shooters have trouble with shooting M&Ps well because of the trigger mechanics on them.

between the 3 I would say that the SR40C is probably your best bet. good quality, cheapest of your options, decent accuracy, decent triggers after breakin, good reliability track records forming and easiest to conceal.

if the XDSC is anything like the XDMs then I would rate that as a very close second. as far as I'm concerned the M&P isn't even in the same zip code as the other 2 but that is purely personal preference on my part.
Old June 24, 2012, 10:49 PM   #5
jfrey

If it has to start with a "4", then I would suggest you first check out the new S&W Shield. Very good, very concealable gun. I would also recommend the PPS. Very good shooter. Both are avaliable in .40S&W.
Old June 24, 2012, 10:56 PM   #6
Justice06RR

I would go in this order: M&P40c, SR40c, and XD40sc last.

I can tell you from experience that the XD40sc is a brick to carry. It is a heavy and blocky pistol, but a fine pistol nonetheless.

The M&P40c would be the best out of the 3. I've owned a M&P9 and M&P40 in full size and they were excellent. I carried both also and i swear the XD40sc weighed the same as the M&P full size.

SR40c would be a good compromise between the two, although I don't like the mag disconnect on them.
Old June 24, 2012, 11:10 PM   #7
tahunua001

^ agreed with the mag disconnect. the first thing I did to my SR9C before I started "testing" it for carry was to remove that particular feature.
Old June 24, 2012, 11:22 PM   #8
wyohusker

SR40c is the way that I would go. I carry the SR9c and it is the most comfortable carry that I have ever had in the 15b years that I have had my CCW permit. I carried the XDsc and it is a heavy block pistol and does not carry very well for me. Don't get me wrong I love my XD it is just not every comfortable to carry. I have never liked the MP triggers and will not own one for that reason.
After all those years of carry the SRc series is the only CCW that I have owned that has a manual safety. You have the choice to use it or not. i do and love it. Just makes it feel more secure to me.
Old June 24, 2012, 11:44 PM   #9
Chuckusaret

I would go with either the M&P or the XD. I have the M&P .40 compact and the XD40SC both are great guns, but my EDC is the XD.

Last edited by Chuckusaret; June 25, 2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old June 25, 2012, 12:30 AM   #10
warningshot

SRC40 conceals better, costs less, and stands alone by design, not just a smaller piggyback design copy take-off from Glock.

Glocks are great, their 'copycatters' will always have a place in the lower drawers.
Old June 25, 2012, 02:59 AM   #11
RBid

I carry an SR9c, and I love it. The recoil spring system is fantastic, so these shoot very softly, and make follow up shots quick and easy. The trigger is also easy to be accurate with.

I believe the SR is actually longer, and taller than the M&P... slightly. .3 inches taller, and similar difference in length. It is more narrow through the grip, though. I love the dimensions. My SR shoots like a duty pistol.

Both the SR and M&P allow a three finger grip, while your pinky dangles with the XD.

My order is SR, M&P, XDm.
Old June 25, 2012, 03:00 AM   #12
mumbo719

I like the Ruger better than the other 2 options.

All 3 of your choices will get the job done though, get the one that feels best in YOUR hands.
Old June 25, 2012, 09:45 AM   #13
iamdb

None of the guns you listed are "any better" than one another. The only way to decide is to hold and preferably shoot each. The only difference will be grip contour and trigger feel. They are all equally reliable, durable, and accurate. You must decide which feels better to you.
John 20:29 Jesus said to him, “Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”
Old June 25, 2012, 10:42 AM   #14
tahunua001

Quote:
SRC40 conceals better, costs less, and stands alone by design, not just a smaller piggyback design copy take-off from Glock.

Glocks are great, their 'copycatters' will always have a place in the lower drawers.
I'm going to go ahead and say that about 90% of that post is false.
all three designs hold about as much in common with glocks as they bring to the table.

springfield XDs utilize grip safeties, LCIs, SAO triggers and XD/MS (and from reports XD/S) use a different takedown method as well. please explain to me how that is considered a glock copycat? I've never given M&Ps enough of a chance to warrant buying one and by extension, maintaining one so I have no idea how they take down but I will guaranty you that they did not copy glocks triggers as well.

and for the record glocks are not even "the original, striker fired, DAO, high cap, polymer framed hand gun". H&K made one that predates the glock 17 by 12 years.
Old June 25, 2012, 11:28 AM   #15
zincwarrior

Lets please not turn this into another "Glock ist UBER!/No Glock Sucks" debate. The OP doesn't discuss Glock at all.

To the point. Also be aware there are size issue differences (just slightly)
The XDM and SRc have a slightly longer grip. IIRC the M&Pc has the shortest grip of the 3. Like the SR9c it has slush and pinkie extension versions.

Also the M&P has the option of having a manual safety like the SR9c (it has versions both with and without by preference).
Old June 25, 2012, 11:50 AM   #16
tahunua001

I agree that this discussion has nothing to do with glocks, I just felt the need to point out the very blatant differences in design and to refute the claim that anything other than glock is lower quality.

back to the real discussion. a lot of people are quoting XDM dimmensions. IIRC the XD subcompact is smaller in all 3 dimensions than it's XDM compact counterparts.
Old June 25, 2012, 11:55 AM   #17
loose_holster_dan

since you like calibers starting with 4, and i hate the 40, i will suggest a 45 to try. give the colt defender or new agent a try. they pack quite a punch. plus they are pretty.

"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old June 25, 2012, 01:59 PM   #18
Dragline45

After owning an SR9C and handling a bunch of M&P's I would say go with the M&P. The SR9 is extremely reliable, very accurate, and a great deal for the price, but I think the M&P is a little better quality. I had peening issues with my SR9 that I resolved myself, and had to touch up a few spots to smooth them out. If I did not have the peening issues I would probably say the SR9C as my top choice, but since it is such a common occurrence with the gun I gota say M&P.
Old June 25, 2012, 02:00 PM   #19
Chuckusaret

Warning shot; please to explain how the SR40C is easier to conceal than the other two. The SR40C weighs more and is larger than the XD40SC.
Old June 25, 2012, 04:44 PM   #20
Coltman 77

Quote:
This will not be my first handgun, but it will be my first Semi Auto and will be used primarily for carry. I prefer guns in a caliber that starts with a 4 , so I am also open to suggestions for 45 ACP for carry as well.
Current 9mm JHP ammo is very effective for self defense, I'd suggest you consider a pistol in 9mm. Your statement ao

The reasons: 9mm handguns hold more rounds, they're easier to shoot accurately, faster follow-up shots and range ammo is much less expensive.

Read this this link OP - http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_De..._FAQ/index.htm and get back to us with your thoughts.

No offense intended but you've got a lot of study and instruction ahead of you if you want to be a safe, effective pistol shooter.

Good luck, it's not just buying a sidearm ...

Protect our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join the NRA

Last edited by Coltman 77; June 25, 2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old June 25, 2012, 05:50 PM   #21
RBid

Sticking with "ammo that starts with a '4'" is great of you're stuck with ball (FMJ) ammo. It's unnecessary with SD rounds.

The anecdotes about soldiers not trusting 9mm pop up because they use ball, not hollow points. If they could use quality stuff, they'd be fine with 9mm.
Old June 25, 2012, 05:58 PM   #22
biggun_

.40 M&Pc will not disappoint!
Old June 25, 2012, 07:12 PM   #23
Needtoshoot

Of the ones you mentioned, I would recommend the SR40C. I have the XD40sc and an SR9C. The SR9C is easier to conceal for me than the XD. I have no experience with the M&P other than handling in the store. I didn't like it. JMHO
Old June 25, 2012, 07:34 PM   #24
skoro

M&Pc, SRc, or XDsc???

I've had an M&P9c for four years now and it's a fine weapon. So that's my say on the matter.
Old June 25, 2012, 07:52 PM   #25
Surgical Precision

@Coltman77

Interesting article. I guess 9mm would make better sense in that it performs almost equally as well. All I'm losing is 1mm in diameter and nothing really in penetration but I'm gaining more rounds and less muzzle flip which equates to faster target acquisition. HMMM

Keep the posts coming guys!!

To really throw in an oddball, I handled a CZ P07 Duty today. I really liked that SA trigger. How does it fit into the mix as fasr as quality and reliability? On par with the others?