The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 26, 2011, 04:18 PM   #1
ak-kev

New to me Griswolds

I went to a friend-of-a-friends house thinking I may buy what he had told me was a Navy Arms Uberti Griswold and Gunnison revolver. Well, I got there and he had TWO, in a case with accessories, but they were Piettas. Anyway I went ahead and bought them both as he was having some real difficult times financially. I took them apart and cleaned them well, got all the nipples out and performed the Kwhi43 nipple mod. Now, Im ready to go shooting.

Last edited by ak-kev; November 26, 2011 at 04:48 PM.
Old November 26, 2011, 05:13 PM   #2
g.willikers

You've been watching the new AMC post Civil War Western series, "Hell On Wheels" - aintcha'?
Old November 26, 2011, 05:35 PM   #3
ak-kev

I must admit sir, that has definately gotten me back to the black powder shooting as of late. We've been going out to the pasture and blowing smoke the last 3 saturdays straight. In fact I just got off the phone setting up tomorriws trip for after church. Hope I can make some wads for the griswolds before then. These arw my first 36's.
Old November 26, 2011, 06:16 PM   #4
Line Rider

A very nice pair of pistols, sir.
Old November 26, 2011, 07:01 PM   #5
Hawg

Very nice indeed.
Old November 26, 2011, 07:43 PM   #6
ak-kev

Thank you guys. I appreciate the kind words.
Old November 26, 2011, 09:02 PM   #7
robhof

robhof

Ya done good, but be warned the collection seems to grow, mine started with one ROA and now the G&G is about the only one I don't have...yet.

Last edited by robhof; November 26, 2011 at 09:03 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old November 26, 2011, 09:06 PM   #8
Jim Watson

Quote:
You've been watching the new AMC post Civil War Western series, "Hell On Wheels" - aintcha'?
You betcha'.
Interview with prop man said they made 100,000 Griswolds.
Flayderman says 3,700.
Who to believe, who to believe?

Sometimes known as Griswold and Grier.
I looked it up and Mr Grier was Mr Griswold's son in law. A lawyer, he probably had a finger in the pie of the gun works.
I know some Griers whose family comes from Georgia. I have tried to stimulate their interest and see if they are descendants.
Old November 26, 2011, 11:52 PM   #9
Hardcase

I only heard of "Hell on Wheels" yesterday when I was watching something else on AMC. My wife and I watched the three episodes tonight and now we're hooked. I'm a sucker for period dramas, especially when they're done reasonably well. This one has some Hollywood in it, but it's faithful enough that there's nothing jarring in it, at least to me.

And those are some nice G&Gs, ak-kev. I've got an old Replica Arms model, but it's in .44 and not nearly as nice looking as yours. It's good that you were able to help your friend out of a bind and he was able to put those revolvers in the hands of somebody who appreciates them.
Old November 27, 2011, 06:43 AM   #10
ak-kev

Yes sir Hardcase, your right about helping him out. I probably paid too much for them (350) but they had a mystic about them I guess because they're older. The date codes are 1980. He actually has a gunshop and had an employee steal over 50,000 dollars from him. He's just sick about it as would I be. Thats why I didn't negotiate the price. I paid what he asked. But anyway, maybe things will turn around for him. We're praying for him daily. I hope his health doesn't deteriorate more because of this. Thank you for the kind words. Kevin.
Old November 27, 2011, 03:16 PM   #11
Doc Hoy

AK

Nice brace of pistols.

I think you did the right thing.
Old November 29, 2011, 01:20 PM   #12
Fingers McGee

Nice outfit ak-kev. You did the right thing, and did not pay too much for them.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce