The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 11, 2011, 09:14 AM   #76
mikerault

You know, why don't you all go collect the original military weapon, a club, you could rhapsody over how pristine the grain is or how the nicks where just the right angle. Please. Like I said, better a useful hunting weapon than a dust collecting wall hanger taken out to impress other collectors of useless items.

I'm sure you all have fun dressing up in your costumes and doing the goose step carrying your original Mausers around but I would rather use it for something more utilitarian like putting food on the table.

Yes I could have bought a new plastic rifle for what I spent sporterizing this one. However I wouldn't have had the pleasure of shaping the wood, reworking the action, putting on the finish, crafting something that is uniquely mine.

Tell you what, next time I will buy one for $150.00 and you can pay me $300+ since it is so collectible...
Old January 11, 2011, 11:30 AM   #77
Cheapshooter

Mine don't sit around collecting dust. They are all shooters, and get shot a lot. My first deer rifle was an Enfield No. 5 Jungle carbine as issued.
My first deer was actually taken with an M1 Garand. Again as issued. The same one that my son used to take his first deer. It's now considered by us as a family heirloom, but still makes plenty of trips to the range.
As I said earlier, there are plenty of military surplus rifles out there that have already been defiled by some Bubba. Most of which have not been done as well as yours. So why not look for one of them to build something to be proud of.
By the way, I don't own any military uniforms either!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 11, 2011, 03:41 PM   #78
Ignition Override

mikerault:
That seems like a decent deal for a nice Enfield #4 (if FTF in this area), although my next rifle will be another CMP "S.G." Garand.

My last #4 cost $275 at the Ft. Worth show on Jan. 1st.
All of these guns are used fairly often, and the extras mean less wear on each.

Last edited by Ignition Override; January 11, 2011 at 03:48 PM.