The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old May 17, 2009, 04:10 AM   #26
BlindMansBluff

So I am in Arizona right. So are you saying I can carry my P95, both its 15rd mags, the Taurus 85 and two speed loaders for a total of 45 rds and no LEO will question that?

I guess the next question that would come to mind is will I ever get stopped, probably not. in the 5 years I have been in arizona I am never been stopped by a cop.

but.... Is there any laws saying mags must be vvisible as well?

oh, and LOL! at post #9!

I just started a blog about my experiences being a blind gun owner and a target shooter, check it out at http://theblindmansbluff.blogspot.com
Old May 17, 2009, 05:46 AM   #27
1shotonekill

9mm vs 45 acp

Quote:
This is why 9mm is soooo much better then .45acp-

Implying because a 9mm holds MORE rounds; it's soooo much better.
I think you missed the point of the weight differential. Not the number of rounds in a 9mm vs 45. Oh yeah there was that little smily that MIGHT imply sarcasm.
Old May 17, 2009, 06:02 AM   #28
ChicagoTex

Quote:
So I am in Arizona right. So are you saying I can carry my P95, both its 15rd mags, the Taurus 85 and two speed loaders for a total of 45 rds and no LEO will question that?
Provided you are doing so legally (either you have a concealed handgun license or you're excercising the right I'm about to detail), no LEO has the right to question anything about your carry choices.

Quote:
but.... Is there any laws saying mags must be vvisible as well?
In your case, it's a non issue, as the state of Arizona allows open carry (be forewarned however that it is illegal in some specific municipalities, check your local laws for details).
That said, I'm one of those folks who advocate concealed carry where open carry is legal for it's elements of subtlety and surprise, both of which are pretty compromised by exposed loaded magazines on your person.

I am not entirely certain if it is legal to have your ammunition exposed here in Texas, where Open Carry is prohibited, (I suspect not) but it's a non-issue for me because I never carry spare ammo.
Old May 17, 2009, 11:25 AM   #29
christcorp

1shotonekill; I probably did miss something. But there are a lot of people who like to claim that the 9mm, 40sw, etc... are BETTER guns and calibers because they hold more rounds. Such a silly argument. Probably because they fantasize about being in a Hollywood movie or make believe they are in gang situations.The REALITY, not PROBABILITY, is that unless you're IN a GANG, you aren't going to be shooting AGAINST a gang. If you're caught in a crossfire or friendly fire (Non-Intentional) shooting; then your gun isn't of any use anyway. And you're not going to be shooting against 10 criminals in a dark ally or in your house. Even if that scenario did exist; you better be looking at other survival skills within yourself.

The truth is; a 32acp, 380acp, ....... 44 magnum are all perfectly adequate calibers and guns for self defense / home defense. Based on the law of physics; the larger the hole and the more tissue damage and blood loss it can create, the BETTER the bullet. However; there is a limit to which gun/caliber an individual person feels comfortable shooting. If a particular person can under ALL SITUATIONS of stress and fear, accurately shoot a 32acp 7 for 7 in a 3 inch circle at 20 feet; compared to someone who is flinching, cringing, etc... from the recoil, sound, and flash of a 40, 10mm, 9mm, etc... and is missing so many shots; then the 32acp is the BETTER caliber and gun for that particular person. People forget that in a REAL LIFE situation, you DON'T have ear protection and eye protection on. That first shot INDOORS is going to be a real wakeup call. I've trained in those situations. Building, low lighting, no ear/eye protection. And also; because of the much LOWER SPEED; a 45acp is much easier to shoot in most guns than a 9mm or 40sw when it comes to noise. I personally think the DB level and frequency of the noise from the 45acp is much easier to handle in a real life situation. And the ultimate bottom line is; "If you can't hit your target and accomplish your mission with a 7 round magazine; you have absolutely NO BUSINESS having a gun in your hands".
Old May 17, 2009, 01:58 PM   #30
Alleykat

Whoever provided the "I've heard 10 rds...." blather is f.o.s. Would somebody mind posting Texas's statute on the number of tires permited on a car?
Old May 17, 2009, 02:06 PM   #31
Rampant_Colt

at least he didn't say "clip" LoL

@ Mr Niceguy - LoL
Old May 17, 2009, 03:51 PM   #32
lomaxanderson

Mr Nice Guy

....funny but so true...I like it ...I think it is funny how some people think they need enough ammo on them to hold off an army ...if SHTF I will be getting home ASAP...no need to carry a ton of ammo,plenty at home...that's where I will make my stand not out in public if 15 rounds of 45acp can't get me home then I'll start improvising

Mason Rhea Gsd
Old May 17, 2009, 04:28 PM   #33
Hkmp5sd

Quote:
....funny but so true...I like it ...I think it is funny how some people think they need enough ammo on them to hold off an army
And I think it is funny when people pick an arbitrary number of rounds and decide that is enough for them, no matter what, to see them to safety. They then make fun of anyone that carries more than that.

Oddly enough, that arbitrary number of rounds, in the vast majority of times, exactly equals the maximum number of rounds their current favorite carry firearm holds. Very rarely does it entail having to carry a extra magazine or speedloader.

NRA Life Member
Old May 17, 2009, 05:02 PM   #34
armsmaster270

If I saw a guy with a "bunch" of magezines I would ask "going to war?
Old May 17, 2009, 06:43 PM   #35
fastforty

Quote:
I probably did miss something.
Yep, most definitely. The purpose of the statement wasn't to highjack a thread into another caliber war, it was about weight. Compare the weight of a box of 100 9mm's against a box of 100 45acp's (the difference should be *quite* obvious, as it is with a single magazine with the same number of rounds for each caliber). Now multiply that by 3-5 boxes. The statement was meant to END any caliber war before it got started. I mean, the weight difference when carrying 500 rounds would seriously limit how many flights of stairs you could climb before jumping out a window. The result would make the difference between getting a nasty bump on your head, or doing the job right
Old May 17, 2009, 10:20 PM   #36
christcorp

You're not actually saying that the 9mm is soooo much better than the 45acp because the bullets weigh less; are you? When you're carrying a gun for self defense; even if you are carrying 2 additional magazines; the weight difference of 45acp and 9mm is insignificant. Yes; if you're talking about carrying 500 rounds, it might mean something. But not in a carry weapon.
Old May 17, 2009, 11:21 PM   #37
hightower

dr. pepper i would contact your lawyer for advice or the sheriff's office where you apply for the chl would probably be the best since it is the issuing entity.

p.s. welcome to the tfl, most people are usually nice and helpful, but i have to agree with mr. niceguy you not only were contradicting yourself over the advice you are looking for, but when you did get answers you were looking for them you refused to accept them.

Quote:
dr pepper: I was wanting someone from Texas who has been through the class for a CHL to give me a simple answer. (#1)
Quote:
dr pepper: So.....I will just risk breaking the law because you say it is OK. I was just wanting someone to site a web page or statue not just "I THINK SO". Sorry judge I thought I could because some guy on a forum said so. (#10)

and for the .45 vs 9mm debate

Winchester USA Ammunition 9mm Luger 115 Grain Full Metal Jacket Box of 50
Length: 5.2 in.
Width: 2.7 in.
Height: 1.4 in.
Weight: 1.4 lbs.

Winchester USA Ammunition 45 ACP 230 Grain Full Metal Jacket Box of 50
Length: 6.2 in.
Width: 3.2 in.
Height: 1.5 in.
Weight: 2.4 lbs.

so as we can see that is an additional lb per 50 rounds for .45

when carrying the proposed 300~500 rounds this is a weight advantage for the 9mm round to the tune of between 6 and 10 pounds.

Quote:
fastforty: This is why 9mm is soooo much better then .45acp- just think of the weight difference when carrying 300-500 rounds
>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<(#6)
i apperciate the sarcasm, and i like both rounds its just a matter of opinion

the real debate IS whether during the shtf moment if i'll be able to spray and pray fast enough to burn through 300 rds or do i need to figure out a ccw rig for some surplus ammo cans.

GAME ON!

almost forgot ibtl
Old May 18, 2009, 12:03 AM   #38
JohnKSa
Staff

The question has been answered very thoroughly and the thread has diverged from the original topic.

So...