The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 3, 2005, 12:08 AM   #1
TheDieer

problems with gun not fireing

I now have a Thompson White Mountain Carbine, black poweder that belonged to my dad. He gave it to me because of this problem:

after 1 or 2 shots the gun will no longer fire.

we have tried cleaning out the gun after each shot and also tried fireing off a cap when the gun is empty. the only way my dad was able to get the bullet out was to soak the end of the gun then use a bullet screw.

we used Hodgdon pyrodex and Hornady balls to shoot.

if anyone can shed some light on this I would be greatful
Old November 3, 2005, 07:41 AM   #2
Remington kid

Wow, sorry I can't help you with that but Im sure some one on here will know just what's wrong. Alot of good folks on here with much knowledge about these old cannons Mike
Old November 3, 2005, 08:20 AM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

Spark not getting through?

Have you checked the nipple? Screw it off and hold it up to the light. See if it's clear. Take a pin and stuff it down from the threaded hole into the barrel to check its passage or yank the barrel off and flush it with hot water to see if water will even pass freely from the nipple.
Old November 3, 2005, 09:11 AM   #4
TheDieer

yeah, I got thinking last night that it would be the nipple, is there something I could do after each shot to make sure its clean like run a pin thru it. Or even better a permanent fix maybe I could get an entirely new nipple.
Old November 3, 2005, 10:12 AM   #5
Cap n ball

If your caps are going off but not detonating the charge after a couple of shots it must be that the nipple is getting fouled. The old one may be pitted and is trapping remnants of the charge after firing. A pin or nipple pick might work but I wouldn't want to have to clear it after every shot. Just get a new nipple. Its a good idea to have a couple of spares anyway.
Old November 3, 2005, 11:37 PM   #6
TheDieer

thanks for the input, I guess im just gonna spring for a new nipple.

and while Im at it I think I will give the gun a good cleaning on the inside. if there is a faq or a post on good cleaning tips could someone give the link in case I can't find it? thanks
Old November 4, 2005, 02:01 AM   #7
Powderman

One problem with the nipple is that someone might have dry-fired it a few times. Doing this will peen the nipple to the point where the flash-hole has closed up a bit.

As for cleaning, just remember to be VERY careful to avoid petroleum based solvents and lube in the bore. You can foul the charge like that, very easily!
Old November 6, 2005, 01:01 PM   #8
4V50 Gary
Staff

Again, try cleaning it first before you buy a new nipple. It may be fouled and a little elbow grease may be all it needs. You can send the $ you save to me or donate it (in my name) to some National Battlefield Park.