The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 15, 2000, 09:27 PM   #1
rr41mag

I live in a rural area north of town on 7 acres. I just moved here in April and am learning the new neigborhood out here. I fugured there were deer out here and have seen tracks on my property but to actually see the deer???? I have checked outside all hours of day and night not to see one. When are they there?

------------------
A son is the best friend you'll ever have!
Old November 15, 2000, 09:39 PM   #2
BadMedicine

When we lived in Tacoma, WA, we used to have deer come through our yard. We saw them maybe 3 times in the three years we lived there during daylight hours. Usually it was in the morning or late evening. But in the summer we would sometimes sleep out on our trampoline. It's a big 14' one about 4 foot off the ground. We'd see them alot at night. And racoons and opossums too. The deer were so quite. They would just slip through the yard and eat grass and stuff out of the garden. We chased them sometimes, but they're pretty quick Have you watched at night any? I'd bet you'd see them if you pulled an all-nighter some time. Maybe you'll get a bow shot We had PLENTY of bow shots, but had to pass since we lived on base. These deer would be like 10 feet away, but if we shot them with a bow, they'd probably go expire in a neighbors yard, and then that'd be it. Do you live in a very populated area? If you're kinda out in the country you should feed them. Of course, you can't *bait* or *feed* wild life legally, but who's to say that you can't plant a few rows of corn, or a small plot of soy bean, or barley?? Maybe put out some winter hay, or an apple flavored salt lick, for your dog, of course If they're specifically coming to your place to feed, you'll probably have a better chance of seeing them than if they're just passing through. Probably get some really good pictures of them too.
Old November 16, 2000, 05:58 AM   #3
rr41mag

this area I live in was national forest years ago. It was divided up into 3+- acre lots. Some of the lots around me have houses some don't. I think they are coming through my yard from the south going in my neighbors yard to the east. He has horses.Probably a little after my bedtime.

------------------
Old November 16, 2000, 09:05 AM   #4
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

We have 4 does in the front yard right now - about 20 feet out the front window (7AM CO time).

Sweep aound your area at night at various times with a flashlight that project a goodly spot beam. You'll be able to pick out their eye reflections.
Old November 16, 2000, 09:31 AM   #5
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

The odds are that they're moving through at night. At least you can learn about reading tracks as to hoof-size and shape, and direction of travel. If they're pretty much together on a trail, they're just travelling through. If the tracks are here, there and yonder, they're feeding as they move through.

If you're moving around, or if you are not already sitting on the porch when they come through, they'll hear you and do what deer do so well: Practice not being there, or wearing the little cloak of invisibility.

There are all manner of clock-controlled wildlife feeders. A mix of hen scratch--for birds, squirrels and rabbits--and shelled corn--for the deer--will provide many hours of critter-watching.

Art
Old November 16, 2000, 04:53 PM   #6
rr41mag

The main reason for wanting to know when they are out there was watching. We just moved from another area south of here but in city limits and I had them coming up to the back door. Naw I wouldn't shoot the deer here in the yard, I gotta drive 200 miles sleep in a cheap hotel,eat fast food, and sit up in a tree stand for who knows how many hours to do some real deer hunting.

------------------