The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 30, 2000, 09:40 PM   #1
Jeffly

After reading the post on Bears in Alaska I was wondering, How many of you carry a handgun for back up in the lower 48 states? And if so, what caliber and barrel length? Thanks Jeff
Old July 30, 2000, 10:41 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

If I'm not in the mood for serious Bambi-ing, I'll often quail hunt across country and carry a Redhawk in case an angry buck attacks me. 7-1/2" barrel; hot 300-grain loads.

Given the possibility of rounding a corner in a canyon and arguing right of way with a mountain lion, it's a comfort. With the increase in the black bear population out of Mexico and now, Big Bend National Park, it's even more of a comfort. I figure the odds are against a lion or bear actually attacking, but maybe not all of them truly believe they're supposed to run away.

Lions are not protected, here; bears are. The usual notions about common sense apply.

, Art
Old July 31, 2000, 12:03 AM   #3
Robert the41MagFan

Carry a handgun all the time. Whether hunting, scouting or biking, the 41 never leaves my side.

Was attacked by a cougar last hunting season and the cat almost got the best of me. He was hit three times with a 357 Magnum that although deterred his pursuit, did not drop him. He exited under full power.

From that experience, would have to say that 41, 44 or 45 are proper protection in the woods. Anything less, you are just fooling yourself.

Robert
Old July 31, 2000, 07:36 AM   #4
STEVE M

I always carry my Kimber, hunting or not. when in the fields this year it will be loaded with 230gr +P's. (If I had a 44Mag. I would carry it instead).
Old July 31, 2000, 12:33 PM   #5
anodes

I'm not a great HG buff, my "wee cartridges" are the .22rf, 9mm Para and the lovely .44 Mag. (these basically "cover" me). So when I carry the choice is easy; Dan Wesson, .44 Mag.!

However, I did hear a suggestion that got me thinkin': Anti-bear medicine, GLOCK style!

I'm not a Glock Geek, so I don't know the model designation, but hold on maybe not so wacky. What about a Glock in 10mm, not the .40SW, but the full size? Wouldn't the 10mm be as "good" as the .357 Mag., .41 Spec./Mag. and .44 Spec.? Is the 10mm the most powerfull chambering for a Glock?
anodes.
Old July 31, 2000, 01:35 PM   #6
J. Parker

IMHO, I believe it depends on where you live. Eastern black bears tend to be quit a bit bigger than Western bears. Here in Wash. state when I go camping or fishing in the woods I'm presently packing a S&W mod28 .357 mag with Federals 180 gr. hardcast hunting load. Nearby is a Rem 870 HD 12 gauge with Brenneke slugs. I think a 10mm/.41 mag is certainly a viable choice but once again how big are the bears where you live? Just my thoughts. Good shooting, J. Parker
Old July 31, 2000, 02:04 PM   #7
fed168

I carry a Smith .44 mag Mountain gun. I load it with 240 gr. XTPs, and depending on the time of year, mix the cylinder with XTPs and shot shells for snakes. It is light for a .44, the weight is the drawback when shooting it though.
Old July 31, 2000, 02:41 PM   #8
BadMedicine

Whenever out hunting I always carry my ruger .22 seki automatic. I love shooting squirrels rabbits birds and the like with it. Whenever bear or moose hunting, or in a known bear area I carry a S&W security six .357 and my hunting partner (my dad ) usually carries his ruger redhawk .44 mag. We also carry our .22 on the left side. I'm not saying that the .357 I'm carrying will save me from getting mauled or killed, but it's my last dying attempt to take the sonofabitch with me
Old July 31, 2000, 02:51 PM   #9
Robert the41MagFan

Oh no! Gun rag groupies!

OK, lets have a quick class on ballistics. A 45acp +P has about 550 pound feet of energy at the barrel. Both .357 Magnum and 10mm can hurl a 200 grain projectile at 1300 FPS and about 650 pound feet of energy. That 10mm load has a TKO (Taylor Knock Out) of 14.85 (take a look at any reloading manual and you will see that this is a very generous offering. At least a +P+ load, S&W 610 only).

Forty-one Magnum, forty-four Magnum and forty-five Colt are ALL in another class of firearm. They all shoot 250 grain bullets at over 1300 FPS, have energy level well over 1/2 ton and TKO in the mid to low twenties.

Lesson of the day, 10mm ain't no 41 Magnum.

These are the medicine you use in the woods.

The pill on the left is a 265 gr LBT 41 Magnum. It was clocked at 1450 FPS from a 657PC V-Comp. On the right, 300 gr LBT 44 Magnum. From a 4 inch 629PC V-comp, 1250 FPS.

Robert

[This message has been edited by Robert the41MagFan (edited July 31, 2000).]
Old July 31, 2000, 06:07 PM   #10
J. Parker

I find it interesting knowing what everybody else carries in the woods. It might influence my next purchase. Of all the bears I have seen in the wild (5) one was of good size. I'm guessing maybe 300 lbs. The most energy I can muster out of a handgun is about 640ft.lbs. In my neck of the woods I'm comfortable with that. .41 magnum? No way. I don't handload, not enough factory offerings. If you want to deal with .41 magnum recoil why not just get a .44 maggie? More gun offerings, more factory offerings (some really stout), simply- a more commom calibre. I can see one in the not to distant future. That said, do I really need a 41 or 44 or 45 or 454 or 50AE or some other Megadeath calibre for a 200 lb. black bear? Bear threads crack me up. Just my thoughts, J. Parker
Old July 31, 2000, 07:22 PM   #11
J. Parker

Robert; Where was your trusty .41 mag when the cougar attacked?
Old July 31, 2000, 08:08 PM   #12
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

For the SE I usually carry a Glock 26 w/an extra mag. I am way more worried about two legged predators than four legged ones.

The 9mm JHP is the minimum for finishing off Bambi.

If animals are a concern, my M629 Mountain Gun gets the nod. I like the Federal 300 grain loads.

Giz
Old July 31, 2000, 10:04 PM   #13
Ron Ankeny

When I am hunting I carry my rifle, duh. I always wonder why folks pack a rifle and a handgun. Who would through a rifle down to draw a pistol?

In the summer, I carry bear spray. I used to carry a .44 Mtn. Gun, but I sold it. I also have a .45 auto in my tent for two legged predators.
Old July 31, 2000, 10:23 PM   #14
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Ron Ankeny: A .22 pistol is easier on the eardrums for the occasional snake, and is good if you need a coup de grace on a wounded deer or whatever...

And you can always dream up a scenario where some Bad Guy gets the drop on you and sez, "drop the rifle" but doesn't know you've got a tuckaway friend...

Whatever,

Art
Old July 31, 2000, 11:22 PM   #15
J. Parker

"Bear" with me on this one cause I don't remember the exact story- Two Canadian deer hunters (maybe elk) had killed their prey, opened their actions and started dressing it when they were attacked and both killed by a bear that wanted their kill. Sure would have been nice to have a pistol on your belt in that instance! Where I camp and fish there are three predators- bears, cougars, and humans. I'm confident I can take care of all three! Pepper spray? Our ancestors would be ashamed! When they ventured out in the woods they had whatever weaponry they could make or carry or sharpen. If an animal or rival tribe struck at them they would strike back to kill! Not wound or make feel bad. As far as calibre is concerned you're not trying for a "one shot stop" (humane kill as in hunting). Pull the trigger, then pull it again until you get the desired results. Kill or be killed! I've said it before- pepper spray is for cops and mail carriers! Best Regards, J. Parker
Old August 1, 2000, 12:01 AM   #16
Robert the41MagFan

J. Parker,

Where was my 41 Magnum? At home! Now was that stupid of me or what. Last season I had this wild and crazy idea of dropping 250 lbs deer with a 357 Magnum. You know. Show off to the friends about my hunting prowess. And that is what I did.

Hey, I had a gun. A mighty 357 Magnum (pea shooter!), didn't need anything easy (a hand canon!). Right! And besides, we've heard this over and over again in these forums, critters with claws and teeth don't attack people, they run and hide. Pin a bell to my ass and I will never be attacked. Guess that advice was wrong and a glance from almost being dead wrong. This cat was over 150 lbs and over 8 feet long from head to tail. And hungry.

Robert
Old August 1, 2000, 12:52 AM   #17
J. Parker

Good one Robert, you made me laugh. I think where we live cougars are more of a problem than bears. Cougs and mushroom pickers! I'm not kidding, their serious about their mushrooms! I used to ride ATV's in the Lehman Hot Springs area and we would come around a corner and there they were. Guns and all! Serious business that there mushroom pickin'. Yeah, when I go hiking and the woods get thick the hair stands up on the back of my neck and I keep looking over my shoulder. I feel like something is watching me. I've seen bears but never a coug. Best Regards, J. Parker
Old August 1, 2000, 06:00 AM   #18
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Biggest animal problem we have here is dogs. Usually not feral, just a bunch of either hunting dogs or neighborhood packs running deer.

I have never shot a dog and don't plan too, but I have thrown dirt on many with the handgun.

Giz
Old August 1, 2000, 06:43 AM   #19
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I do lots of hunting on the Eastern shore of Md, mostly bowhunting. No bear, no lions, but feral dogs, and the coons have a rabies problem.So, I take along my GM...
Old August 1, 2000, 07:35 AM   #20
Will Beararms

I certainly hope to never be in the position to defend myself with a handgun against a wild hog or recently imported Brown Bear. Why they brought bear to SE Arkansas, I will never know. My suspicion is that the only way government types can justify their salary is to screw up what works and create new programs. While we are on the subject I hope these Einsteins know that the first time a bear crosses paths with a SE AR Redneck in the wild, one of the two will be history.

I do carry a .45ACP but this is more out of love for the cartridge and a general passion for handguns than the hope that it will be of use. I hope that the .30-30 will fill this niche.

[This message has been edited by Will Beararms (edited August 01, 2000).]
Old August 1, 2000, 01:25 PM   #21
Jay Baker

Gizmo99, I guarantee if you are ever attacked by a pack of REAL feral dogs, you'll either shoot them or they'll tear you to ribbons. Been there and done that! In my opinion, feral dogs are more dangerous than any other animal out in the woods!

As for handguns when hunting, I always have a Mdl. 60 S&Klinton IF I am carrying a centerfire rifle.

If I am hiking/scouting for elk & deer, not carrying a centerfire rifle, I always carry my S&Klinton Mdl. 57 .41 Mag, or my Ruger B.H. .45 L.C., both with my rather stiff handloads.

If bird hunting, I have my 12 guage, plus my Colt's .45acp L.W. Commander, a constant friend of mine for many, many years.

I camp/hunt in heavy bear country, both black and griz, so while in camp, (I do a lot of camp cooking, wood gathering, etc.), I have the .41 or .45 in a shoulder holster. Out of the way but it's there in an emergency.

For me, it all depends on the situation, location, etc. Different strokes, as they say. FWIW. J.B.
Old August 1, 2000, 02:11 PM   #22
Keith Rogan

Ron, >>>>>Who would throw a rifle down to draw a pistol?<<<<<<

Damned good point!

------------------
Keith
The Bears and Bear Maulings Page: members.xoom.com/keithrogan

Old August 1, 2000, 03:54 PM   #23
J. Parker

I don't think anybody so far in this thread would throw down a long gun in favor of a handgun. Two hunters in Canada would possibly be alive today if they would have had a handgun of some kind when they were dressing out their kill. Instead, there're dead because their bolt actions were found open laying on the ground when a bear attacked killing both. Unless it's prohibited I think it's a damn good idea to carry a handgun while hunting or anytime.
Old August 1, 2000, 05:32 PM   #24
Robert the41MagFan

I hunt with either a bow or handgun 99% of the time. Kind of have no choice.

Robert
Old August 1, 2000, 05:58 PM   #25
Keith Rogan

Yeah, I can think of lots of situations where having a handgun while hunting is sane and smart.
It can also be a redundancy at times.

------------------
Keith
The Bears and Bear Maulings Page: members.xoom.com/keithrogan