The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 22, 2013, 12:05 PM   #1
TennJed

Beretta Storm (compact) vs S&W 469/669/6906

I am considering a compact double stack 9mm with a slide mounted decocker/manual safety. It is mainly something I just have gotten a bug for, but could find time as a carry piece.

Right now, I have it (kinda) narrowed down to a Beretta Storm (compact, not sub compact) and a S&W 469, 669, or 6906.

Which of these would you choose, or do you have any other suggestions. I have looked at the Stoeger/Beretta Cougar and do not like the feel of it in my hand. I also owned a Ruger P95 at one point and just think it is too big for my needs
Old January 22, 2013, 02:25 PM   #2
TailGator

Of those, the only one that I am really familiar with is the Beretta. My daughter has one, and it is a very impressive little pistol. Very soft shooting due to the rotating barrel, nice fit and finish, excellent accuracy and reliability. Darn good value, IMO.
Old January 22, 2013, 03:01 PM   #3
Bart Noir

The S&W 469 and 669 are 2nd generation guns. There is a reason that S&W revised and came out with the 3rd generation, and I would suggest you stick with the 6906 or 6904. This gun fits my hand just right and shoots better than I can.

If you get a 690x with the older squared off trigger guard, you will have a much harder time getting a holster to fit the gun. Trust me, I know, I know. Mine rides in a holster that was made for the 469 series and this works OK for me.

Call CDNN soon since last week I saw an ad by them showing some 690x models for sale. It is a great gun and you can also use the full-sized magazine from the Model 59/590x series of guns.

Assuming you can find any double-stack magazines anywhere

Bart Noir
Old January 22, 2013, 04:51 PM   #4
TennJed

Bart Noir, what were the reasons S&W went to the 3rd gens. Other than sights what are the differences?

Thanks
Old January 22, 2013, 05:35 PM   #5
carguychris

Quote:
Bart Noir, what were the reasons S&W went to the 3rd gens. Other than sights what are the differences?
I'm not Bart, but I discussed this in another thread just the other day.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...80&postcount=2

IMHO the primary advantages of the 3rd-gen 69xx series are nicer sights on the later post-1990 models, a slightly slimmer and more ergonomic grip shape, and easier night sight installation. The 3rd-gen guns enjoy an arguably minor durability and mechanical simplicity advantage due to the integral barrel bushing and coned barrel, and all standard-production 3rd-gens had a RH side ambi decocker/safety lever, whereas some 2nd-gens lack this. The later 3rd-gens also lost the somewhat obtrusive and unsightly square trigger guard, and can be had in DAO or frame-decocker form if that's how you roll, although the frame-decocker M6926 is quite uncommon.

Last edited by carguychris; January 22, 2013 at 05:37 PM. Reason: minor reword...
Old January 23, 2013, 01:14 PM   #6
Mr_Jumper

I can highly recommend PX4 compact as I have one and is my carry piece. It shoots soft for a relatively light gun, holds 15+1, very accurate, and quality made. I have put through well over 1500+ rounds now and it has had 0 "zero" hiccups of any kind, running WWB and Federal cheap range ammos as well as some quality HMJ. Best time to purchase this would've been last month though, as Beretta had $50 rebate on all PX4 and 92 series handguns.

Only "problem" or complaint I had was rarity/price of mags. While "full" and "subcompact" can be found pretty easily, compact mags are harder to find.

I ended up just getting direct from Beretta at $40 a piece.
Old January 23, 2013, 02:57 PM   #7
dgludwig

If you're after a reliable, well-made, durable and (with the advent of police "trade-ins"-a glut on the market initially but starting to dry up) affordable and relatively compact 9mm pistol, you won't go wrong with a Model 6906. Did I mention it is reliable?
Old January 23, 2013, 03:09 PM   #8
TheFlash

You mentioned that you prefer either the Storm or a S&W 469, 669, or 6906.

I bought a 6906 new when they were being offered by S&W and it still is my #1 favorite 9mm pistol. Just fits my hands perfectly.

However, you mentioned that you did not like the feel of the Stoeger/Beretta Cougar nor the Ruger P95 -with the P95 being too large for your needs.

Instead of the S&W 469, 669 or 6906, have you also considered the 3913?
The 3913's single stack magazine vs the 6906 double stack with the 3913's thinner profile could possibly fit your hands better.

Regards,
Mike
Old January 23, 2013, 11:23 PM   #9
TennJed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlash View Post
You mentioned that you prefer either the Storm or a S&W 469, 669, or 6906.

I bought a 6906 new when they were being offered by S&W and it still is my #1 favorite 9mm pistol. Just fits my hands perfectly.

However, you mentioned that you did not like the feel of the Stoeger/Beretta Cougar nor the Ruger P95 -with the P95 being too large for your needs.

Instead of the S&W 469, 669 or 6906, have you also considered the 3913?
The 3913's single stack magazine vs the 6906 double stack with the 3913's thinner profile could possibly fit your hands better.

Regards,
Mike
I have and i am looking for a double stack. It may be all in my head or it may be ergos, but the Smiths and the Storm just do not feel as bulky in my hand as the Cougar or P95. I do already own a 5906 so I am familiar with the Smiths. The fact they will all (469,669, & 6906) take the same mags I already have is a big plus
Old January 24, 2013, 05:18 AM   #10
lechiffre

Quote:
The S&W 469 and 669 are 2nd generation guns
Quote:
The 3rd-gen guns enjoy an arguably minor durability and mechanical simplicity advantage due to the integral barrel bushing and coned barrel
The 469 is sort of a 2 1/2 generation, it has the integral barrel bushing and coned barrel.

do the interns get glocks ?
Old January 24, 2013, 08:28 AM   #11
elDiabloLoco

Do you like the trigger on the P95? On the 5906?

The trigger on my DA/SA 6906 is very similar to my P95. The 6906 has less free play, and is slightly lighter both DA and SA. The 6906 was picked up used, has a slightly shorter barrel, but the accuracy seems equal to the P95.

The hand grip on the 6906 is slightly thinner than the P95, more comfortable.

Can't compare it to Storm.....Can't afford one yet. But don't regret getting the 6906 one bit.

Did you research holster options? The 6906 was a service weapon, there may be more holster options available for it.