The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 1, 2011, 01:46 PM   #1
privateer1939

mossberg silver reserve o/u's how good?

gentlemen

i am considering buying a 20 and or a 28 gauge o/u silver reserve shotgun
i need some knowledge input as to how good these guns are the price is 599.00
brand new and i really need some advice on these gun before i make the buy!!

tx
Old July 1, 2011, 02:55 PM   #2
oneounceload

For seldom light uses, it shoudn't give you too many problems
Old July 1, 2011, 03:14 PM   #3
BigJimP

Reviews are really mixed on those guns ...

For a relatively inexpensive O/U ...I'd suggest you at least look at the Tristar models - sold thru Cabelas and other places. They are least coming with a 5 yr warranty.

What you have to realize on these O/U's under $ 1,500 or so ...is whether the barrels are regulated properly so they hit the same point of impact ( and some of them are way off ...), the quality of the internals (springs, ejectors, firing pins, etc) and the quality of the steel ...quality of the trigger...

It just isn't a yes or no answer...maybe 3 of 10 are ok / maybe 7 of 10 are ok .../ and like OneOunce suggested for "light usage" ... are these guns trouble free for 5,000 shells / or 10,000 shells ...or 100,000 shells...??
Some shooters put 20,000 shells a yr thru a target gun ...some shooters put 500 .../ ....where will this one be ...don't know.

look around in used gun shops in your area ....and try and find one thats a few years old ...and see how it looks / talk to the shopowner...see what they think .../ used market values will tell you a little bit...