The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 3, 2007, 12:22 PM   #1
joeranger

milsurp on Prairie dogs?

I would never consider FMJ for hunting, but it seems a prairie dogs shoot is a little different.
I'm not looking to turn them into red mist. Is milsurp ammo ok for PD'S? My rifle and scope are set for M855. I have a custom AR with a 24" barrel.
I don't want to spend $20/box x 25 boxes/day x 3 days...
Old March 3, 2007, 12:35 PM   #2
FirstFreedom

If your shoulder can handle it, and you can make the hit, you bet - FMC is more than enough bullet to put down a measly prairie dog easily and make mincemeat of them - heck, if you could line up 5 of them, it would take out all 5.

But I'd take the .223 with some cheap winchester white box or milsurp ammo, in case your shoulder gets bruised. Or take along a .17 HMR or .22 mag or .22lr for that matter.... if they're not very smart/wary, you can get close enough...
Old March 3, 2007, 02:30 PM   #3
boltgun71

Your mil-surp ammo should be fine. I have used M855 on woodchucks at home in NY with good results. I have found that on some of the larger woodchucks with body shots they may run and make it to the hole and die in there. There dead just the same. I've had no probem putting the smaller woodchucks down which I believe are about the same size as prairie dogs so I dont see any issues with it. I dont shoot them with mil-surp anymore, Im now using Nosler Ballistic Tips. When I was young and couldnt afford much besides the mil-surp, it always worked well for me. Hope this helps.
Old March 9, 2007, 12:00 PM   #4
joeranger

I was told on another forum(ar15) not to use M855. I will bring a bunch of HP rounds, but I find it odd that the same round we give our troops to defend themselves against fanatics...ohhh, don't get me started
Old March 9, 2007, 12:45 PM   #5
hoytinak

I use M855 on pd's all the time here in N. Texas......just make sure of what's behind them and have fun
Old March 9, 2007, 01:19 PM   #6
zeisloft

Yes, they will work, HOWEVER, I use SMK or Ballistic Tips for the ricochet aspect. P-dog hunting is generally at a low angle of incident, therefore ricochet potential is very high. The non-FMJs alleviate much of this problem, the mist is just a byproduct.
~z

Obviously, Occam was not a reloader
Old March 9, 2007, 05:37 PM   #7
Scorch

No, no, no! FMJs will not kill them. Prairie dogs are true non-combatants, and are unaffected by rounds designed for military engagements! You have to use rounds designed for small, cuddly, soft, furry, dark-eyed critters. But shoot well, they can charge you if they're wounded!
Old March 10, 2007, 12:41 AM   #8
AZGunLover

"Celebrating its 75th Anniversary, Barnes Bullets ® is introducing the Varmint Grenade™, an all-new lead-free varmint bullet that delivers explosive results. Originally developed for military applications, the bullet’s copper-tin composite core is highly frangible, greatly reducing the chance of ricochets. The new flat-base, hollow-cavity bullet remains intact at ultra-high velocities, yet fragments explosively on impact. Virtually vaporizes ground squirrels and prairie dogs, even at extended range. The bullet blows up completely at high speed, creating little or no exit wound on larger animals. Leaves coyote and bobcat pelts virtually undamaged. Delivers sniper-like accuracy for dependable long-range kills."
Old March 10, 2007, 12:52 AM   #9
rem33

As kids we usta try andshoot ground squirrels with a old Mauser 8MM from long distances. Not sure we ever hit one but I feel very confident it would of worked if we did. Same idea on Prairie dogs.
Old March 10, 2007, 12:06 PM   #10
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Prairie dogs are squirrel sized. The killing is no big deal, as far as what bullet is used from a .223.

The only real issue is the accuracy of the load.

People worry too much, get too nit-picky, about what bullet, what cartridge, etc., etc., on stuff like prairie dogs.

A .17 Mach II is plenty good to 100 yards. Once the wind and drop are determined by the shooter, they're adequate to 200 yards. That's what I watched, anyway.

I was getting hits to 300 yards with my .223; about six inches of holdover, roughly. On that particular day, about four inches allowance for the breeze.

IOW, go have fun.

, Art