The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 3, 2000, 04:42 PM   #1
BB

What should I get, going to Zambia next year.
Old November 3, 2000, 06:57 PM   #2
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Lots of needle time coming up.

I'll check around, but I think the state department has a list of the recommended shots.

Giz
Old November 4, 2000, 12:41 AM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Check the archives; there was a good bit of discussion before Rich's African trip. Not just shots, but gear as well.

Hope this helps, Art
Old November 4, 2000, 06:09 AM   #4
raggiejack

BB,
As far as I know the only legal requirement is a Yellow Fever vacination (taken 10 days prior to entering Zambia) and a Cholera certificate.
A few others are recommended:

Malaria
Typhoid
Hepatitus A,B
Tetanus
Also take a look at the British Airways Travel Clinic website here in South Africa. www.travelclinic.co.za
Try the following sites for other info on Zambia. www.zamnet.zm www.africa-insites.com/zambia

Regards
Jacques

[This message has been edited by raggiejack (edited November 04, 2000).]
Old November 6, 2000, 10:42 AM   #5
RobCon

Have your MD access the CDCs website for the areas you will visit. Recommended inoculations and specific antimalarials can be found there and your doc can prescribe accordingly. It is the most useful site we have found.
Old November 6, 2000, 12:38 PM   #6
Strayhorn

I have a good friend who goes to Africa twice a year (medical research) and she recommends the CDC site as well. If nothing else, go to the site, print out the page that counts for you, and take it to your physician.

Also, if you have any over-the-counter drugs be sure to take those with you (Claritin, Pepto-Bismol, etc) as you most likely won't see them in Africa.

Malaria is your main concern. Get the shots and take the pills.

Check out the State Department "warning" list for Africa as well - sometimes you can fun afoul of local customs, like being charged a $40 "tax" at the airport before being allowed to leave.

From what she tells me, Africa is one confusing place. She just emailed me this morning to say that the hotel she's staying at in Uganda doesn't have any news channels on the cable TV, but does carry the Golf Channel (!!!!!) so she's been listening to campaign news on Voice of America and the BBC. Take a portable shortwave radio if you have one, the vast majority of Africans still get their news this way.

Ken Strayhorn
Hillsborough NC
Old November 7, 2000, 02:49 PM   #7
HankB

raggiejack's recommendations are right, though I think the yellow fever certificate is only needed if you're coming from an infected country. Good idea to get it, though; be aware, not all clinics or doctor's offices can easily get the vaccine. Best get all these vaccinations well in advance, as some can't be taken together. Also, on malaria, be aware that chloquine resistant strains are popping up, so the latest recommendations I've heard are for either Mefloquine (aka Lariam) or Doxycycline. Some people - mostly women - have side effects from the former, and the latter can increase susceptibility to sunburn. When I went to Zambia, I also had a polio "booster" before hand. Talk things over with your doctor.

[This message has been edited by HankB (edited November 07, 2000).]