The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 20, 2018, 09:17 PM   #26
Colorado Redneck

For 222 Rem., 204 Ruger, 22-250 I settled on Benchmark a few years ago. The reasoning was if I bought 8 lb. Kegs, then shortages and chronic unobtainium would be less likely to mess up my shooting. Benchmark isn't the best for 222 but it meters good and is satisfactory. These guns are prairie dog shooters. I don't like wearing out guns trying new powders because my powder isn't ever on the shelf.

Hunting rifles are a big science fair project. Buying powder and different bullets and developing loads is a great past time in the winter and early spring. So the powder shelf has 15 or 20 jugs of powder, some of which just haven't cut it, some are good. Big money vortex.
Old March 21, 2018, 06:11 PM   #27
Hammerhead

I used to use a wide variety of powders from Clays to HS-6 for various handgun loads. Now I load just about everything with N340 or Unique (same speed), from target 45 auto loads to my serious 357 load. HP-38 is another good candidate for a 'one powder'.