The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 20, 2018, 07:24 PM   #26
stagpanther

Finally got a day where the wind wasn't blowing so bad--only 10 to 15 mph today. Went out and did my first ladder of test cartridges--162 eld x's driven by H4350--one of the better powders. Originally I had only loaded 3 cartridges for each charge weight--but then added a 4th to each group after I got some new winchester cases and determined that I could go longer with the bullet seating--so in each group 3 cartridges were 2.78 and 1 was 2.804. Might have made a difference in the grouping--though I was not shooting especially well today, I wasn't calling the shots but I could tell when I budged and made a bad one. I didn't call--I cursed.

Since I'm still breaking the barrel in, it also is a bit tedious to stop every few shots to break down and clean the bore out. The rifle I believe can shoot way ahead of how I'm shooting--at least today.

4350 I've heard is one of the top go-to powders for the 284 win--it does seem to do well. Here are a couple of the better groups (interesting how they are spaced almost identically).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 162 eldx 284win 46.4 H4350.jpg (83.8 KB, 256 views)
File Type: jpg 162 eldx 284win 48.2 H4350.jpg (68.7 KB, 257 views)

Last edited by stagpanther; March 20, 2018 at 07:31 PM.
Old March 22, 2018, 06:32 PM   #27
stagpanther

Fresh batch of 284 win--starting to adjust case mouth tension to see if that makes any difference. New Winchester brass and hornady 162 eld x driven H4350. Going to have to wait for the latest snowstorm to clear before I can get out again.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180322_191558.jpg (134.8 KB, 240 views)
Old March 23, 2018, 05:35 PM   #28
stagpanther

Went out today to attempt to shoot those handsome cartridges above--had a bit of trouble getting through the snow but managed to set up in a level spot 111 yds out. Discovered that I had forgotten my gloves--yup the man with a million excuses--but tried to shoot anyway. I only made it half way through before I bagged it, I just wasn't able to shoot well enough, even though I got a couple of good groups out of the first charge weights. I can tell how good this gun is by how readily it let's me know how bad I'm shooting!

These are two of the same low-end charges I tried the other day, they both featured a couple of shots that almost went through the same hole. I'm still stopping between groups to clean the bore--almost done with barrel break-in.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 284 win 162 eldx 46.4 H4350.jpg (170.1 KB, 223 views)
File Type: jpg 284 win 162 eldx 46.6 H4350.jpg (169.9 KB, 215 views)
Old March 24, 2018, 06:18 AM   #29
brasscollector

Not much to add but I am wondering what kind of velocity you're getting from those 162s. What length is the barrel?
Old March 24, 2018, 06:38 AM   #30
stagpanther

The lower-end loads above are in the 2500 fps range out of the 22" barrel. I'm going to get through breaking the barrel in before I start running warmer top-end loads. I still haven't found a reference factory load to baseline a pressure gage on--I guess I'll have to make my own and send it off for testing.

post edit: My velocities seem to be consistently under what QL and reload manual say I should be getting by 75 fps +/- --I'm attributing that to the extra friction/start pressure by the crimped bullet--also the winchester brass has some kind of weird fluting/reamer chatter in the inside of the neck which is uneven in tension---I hope after a few firings I'll get more consistency out of the brass.

Last edited by stagpanther; March 25, 2018 at 12:34 PM.
Old March 26, 2018, 05:57 AM   #31
Road_Clam

What configuration is the bolt ? Are you able to run a standard 7.62 AR10 bolt configuration ?
Old March 26, 2018, 06:18 AM   #32
stagpanther

Quote:
What configuration is the bolt ? Are you able to run a standard 7.62 AR10 bolt configuration ?
Yes--standard 308 bolt configuration--though this one is a bit beefier than your standard bolt. The ejector was a tad over-powered for my tastes; most are these days, so I tuned it down a bit. I literally have not had one single failure of any kind (other than me not being able to reach maximum efficiency in shooting the thing). : )
Old May 28, 2018, 10:38 AM   #33
stagpanther

While I'm waiting on parts for other projects to come in--thought I'd spend a little time with my 284 win project which has been side-lined for a while. Biggest problem is that most bullet's ogives go into the neck--so I needed a way to get a longer seating.

The DPMS steel mag was up to the task of being cut out--I'll test with live fire soon. This enables me to get a COL to 2.912. The chamber allows seating way beyond that from what I've been able to measure--but this is still a major improvement.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 284-mag.jpg (26.5 KB, 138 views)
Old May 28, 2018, 11:43 AM   #34
stagpanther

Extra length definitely makes a difference--these 162 ELDX hunter's base of ogive now clear with room to spare. Very windy out--but what the hey--back in a bit.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0106.JPG (214.2 KB, 133 views)
Old May 28, 2018, 12:38 PM   #35
flashhole

The COL looks different on all of them.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old May 28, 2018, 03:39 PM   #36
stagpanther

Quote:
The COL looks different on all of them.
Optical conclusion--the plastic bullet tray is warped and undersized--so they space unevenly in it.
Old May 28, 2018, 03:55 PM   #37
stagpanther

Unfortunately the lengthened cartridge created a new problem while being cycled under live fire--the bullet meplat was smacking into and glancing off the chamber face on feed by the bolt--so that obviously had an effect on the cycling and accuracy since the tips were being crushed and deformed. I didn't figure this out until I got to the last charge weights of 47 grs, whereupon I switched to single-feeding by hand. Results were OK--but I;ll have to jigger the mag some more to get a (hopefully) damage-free feed. Try shortening the COL as well (though I hate giving up that space).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 47 H4350 284 win 162 ELDX.jpg (133.9 KB, 125 views)

Last edited by stagpanther; May 28, 2018 at 04:07 PM.
Old May 28, 2018, 06:57 PM   #38
Nathan

Have you considered a shorted case neck length? This is what they do with pointed 45-70 loads.
Old May 28, 2018, 07:41 PM   #39
stagpanther

Quote:
Have you considered a shorted case neck length? This is what they do with pointed 45-70 loads.
I have thought about that--but was concerned about possible pitting/erosion in the case mouth area as a possible result. I know I can lick this--I've experienced similar issues with other cartridges before.
Old May 29, 2018, 02:31 PM   #40
stagpanther

Did a little work on the feed lips and backed the COL off a bit to 2.905--still more than enough room to keep the base of ogives of all my bullets out of the case neck. Mission accomplished, shot a ladder of 140 accubonds without a hitch today....well, almost without a hitch--there is still a slight bit of abrasion damage being done to the bullet jackets by the extension lugs on the way in to the chamber. I'm not wild about stoning down extension lugs--used to do it a lot but I suspect that might possibly contribute to early onset of headspace issues.

My results were once again inconclusive--I was either pulling my shots--as evidenced by the horizontal string below--or I would get a few really close together but choked on one shot. I figure the bullet damage might be accounting for about .1 MOA inaccuracy--my poor technique maybe another .4 MOA or so. I'll need to retest.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0110.JPG (113.7 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0109.JPG (130.8 KB, 105 views)
Old May 29, 2018, 06:55 PM   #41
44caliberkid

Question for Stag. What made you favor the 284 over a 7mm-08?
Old May 29, 2018, 07:06 PM   #42
stagpanther

Quote:
Question for Stag. What made you favor the 284 over a 7mm-08?
Different.

Was also intrigued by the fact that it is the parent of the 6.5 284 norma. You often read the differences between cartridges are simply in terms of velocity--which there isn't much of a difference between the 7-08 and 284 win. But there might be other subtle differences--maybe I'll find them out.
Old May 29, 2018, 08:02 PM   #43
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
What's the parent case for the .284 Winchester?
the .284 Winchester

Old May 29, 2018, 08:28 PM   #44
stagpanther

New Winchester brass is poorly finished--but once-fired is pretty nice. Only game in town so I guess I can't complain.

PS--I had room to spare for more powder at 2.905--but using even the max charge recommended for a COL of 2.8 I was getting over 2900 fps out of my 22" McGowen barrel.

Last edited by stagpanther; May 29, 2018 at 08:50 PM.
Old May 29, 2018, 11:08 PM   #45
ed308

How's that NF glass working out?
Old May 30, 2018, 06:41 AM   #46
stagpanther

Quote:
How's that NF glass working out?
I bought the 5 x 20 SHV scope--one of their newer "budget" ones. I like it--but do I think it's worth $1300? Hmmm, don't know about that. When shooting in bright sunlight the glass tends to shimmer a bit (even after adjusting for parallax)--I don't know if that's simply a limitation of 20x power close in at 100 yds. It's also outsourced to production offshore--one of the main reasons I decided to buy Nightforce is that they tout American made--wasn't too happy when I received it and discovered this particular one isn't. Why they put a turret cap on the windage knob and not leave it open for adjustment like the elevation one is a mystery to me--and a minor annoyance. If I were considering night force I would advise paying the few hundred extra dollars and get the "true blue" American scopes that they deservedly built their reputation on. I know my next long range scope will likely be Nikon's new black scope (wouldn't surprise me if it's made in the same factory as nightforce's shv scopes).