The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 20, 2018, 02:26 PM   #1
Harry J

1911 Barrel / Drop in?

I am looking at having a barrel install on myRIA full size.I am building a target pistol for informal competition. I have talked to a few people on drop in or oversize barrels. I know oversize requires extensive fitting but from what I have been told it's very pricey. One person said a drop in Wilson Combat barrel cost $200 to fit. He had a Springfield I believe. Another who has a RIA like mine said he fit a Storm Lake drop in in about 30 minutes. Just how "drop in" are drop in barrels? Also what should I expect to payfor labor for a oversize full install?
Thanks for any advice.
Old February 20, 2018, 05:13 PM   #2
RickB

The value of the "gunsmith fit" barrel is in the fitting.
People will often ask, "What's the best barrel?", when a better questions would be, "Who best to fit the barrel?"
I certainly would not spend $400 or more having a barrel fitted to a $400 gun.

"Semi drop-in", or sometimes called "Pre-fit", barrels can generally be installed with hand tools, though you still have to know from where excess material needs to be removed.
I bought a Storm Lake pre-fit, and literally had to remove material from just about every surface, after consulting a gunsmith about where to remove material!

A good compromise, if you're at all handy, is the Kart . . . I think they're now called X-Act Fit, used to be EZ-fit, which can be fitted to a very high standard using only hand tools supplied in an installation kit.
I've installed two EZ-fit barrels, and while the instructions suggest it can be done in an hour, I spent something closer to four or five hours on mine, measuring twice and cutting once.
Old February 20, 2018, 08:27 PM   #3
Harry J

Thank you for that info. I have not heard of Kart. I will look into that. I have a good assortment of metal working and finishing tools, micrometers and gauges. You are right about spending the money. This is for fun not a national championship.
Thanks again.
Old February 21, 2018, 11:34 AM   #4
tangolima

I fitted one of these for a client. They seem good barrels. Not to hard to fit.

https://www.fusionfirearms.com

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old February 22, 2018, 01:16 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

Where you are matters.
$200 to fit a barrel is insane. Even though it's entirely a hand done thing. West Coast Armory in Bellevue WA, for example, wants $120 to fit a .45 barrel.
Brownell's did a survey. Fitting a 1911 barrel runs $90 to $150 plus the cost of the barrel.
Near the bottom.
https://www.brownells.com/userdocs/m...ricesurvey.pdf
However, drop in barrels are ok, but do not quite fit for accuracy purposes.
Old February 22, 2018, 01:28 PM   #6
Harry J

Thanks tangolima. Fusion looks interesting. And the labor chart is handy. I'm holding on to that. Thanks T. O'heir.
Old February 22, 2018, 01:31 PM   #7
tangolima

A full-tilt gunsmith fitted barrel needs about 2 hours to fit. It requires jigs and milling machine. I can see bill of $100 or more. A fusion arms barrel is mostly prefitted. One hour with hand tools will do.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old February 23, 2018, 11:40 AM   #8
Hunter Customs

When fitting a barrel in a 1911 handgun I prefer doing what's termed "Hard fit". To hard fit a barrel you should fit the radial lugs, lower lug, all areas of the hood and the barrel bushing. I do 98% of that fitting on a mill and a lathe and it takes longer then 2 hours. Before I start the fitting process I take readings of the radial lugs in the slide, this is often times overlooked......For the novice a drop in barrel will work well but it will not compare in lockup to a hard fit barrel......Keep in mind barrel lock up is what gives you repeatability which in turn gives you the best mechanical accuracy.
Old February 23, 2018, 12:02 PM   #9
RickB

Quote:
$200 to fit a barrel is insane. Even though it's entirely a hand done thing. West Coast Armory in Bellevue WA, for example, wants $120 to fit a .45 barrel.
"My" smith, a short drive from West Coast, charges $225. Everyone I know uses his services, so his prices can't be too insane?