The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Closed Thread

Old May 21, 2007, 10:03 PM   #26
foob

ar15.com is back.
Old May 21, 2007, 10:30 PM   #27
SteelyNirvana

11:30 eastern time and it's still down. I think all of us who really enjoy THR should send atleast $5 to Derek to get it on a reliable server. I'm the brokest of the broke, living check to check but I can spare atleast $5 to help out.If 20 people send him $5 that's $100 and should help him get it on a more reliable server. What does everyone think?
Old May 21, 2007, 10:31 PM   #28
tydephan

Quote:
What does everyone think?
Absolutely. Count me in.
Old May 21, 2007, 10:40 PM   #29
GoRon

ARFCOM is down again as of 10:40 central time. No THR either.

Armed Polite Society
Old May 21, 2007, 10:40 PM   #30
ArfinGreebly

Cash Infusion

I don't know where the servers are co-located, but if memory serves, the monthly hit on this kind of hosting is more than 50 cents.

Now, if we could get, say, 1,500 hundred of us to send $20 that would handle a lot of technical silliness, and buy a few hours of a really mean attorney, for when the culprit is ultimately discovered.

"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe." -- gh@c2
Old May 21, 2007, 11:12 PM   #31
DouglasW

Quote:
=Now, if we could get, say, 1,500 hundred of us to send $20 that would handle a lot of technical silliness, and buy a few hours of a really mean attorney, for when the culprit is ultimately discovered.
Howdy everyone...I try to read/post on THR regularly...but egad, it's been down a bunch lately. I'd be happy to donate some small help for Derek. Is there a mechanism in place for contributions?
Old May 22, 2007, 12:25 AM   #32
helpless

As far as donating, he just posted a thread about that over at THR, something about mailing him a check with a note that it is to go to THR help.
Old May 22, 2007, 03:12 AM   #33
ArfinGreebly

THR back online

THR is back up, evidently some time around 12:45 PDT.

Thanks, Derek.

I can get my fix before I turn in for the night.

"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe." -- gh@c2
Old May 22, 2007, 09:08 AM   #34
Derek Zeanah

Sorry to keep y'all waiting. Busy day yesterday and I didn't think about a post here until now. We're still under attack at times, but a bigger issue is incompetence at my datacenter.
  • For starters, they have me back on a 10 Mbit port, which is a good thing as they're billing me for DoS bandwidth.
  • Support sucks, as in "there's no way to get anything done in less than an hour." Report that I'm under attack again, and it'll be an hour before relief.
  • Relief always comes in the form of blackholing THR so all packets to/from our server disappear at the edge router.
  • Relief never comes in the form of dropping the attack packets, even though as far as I've been told no attack has used more than 4 hosts. Why can't they do better even though they advertise ddos protection? You've got me.
  • Yesterday the attacks stopped early afternoon, and I couldn't get them to un blackhole us until about 3:48 AM. Why? I'm guessing incompetence -- the guy who knew how to properly talk to the firewall had gone home or something.
  • Of course, the attack started a bit after the site was back up, and it was another hour before they could blackhole us again.
I Soooooo need a better host. These guys were top notch until this year, but they've gone so far downhill I don't know what to say.

The problem is trying to find one that is capable and offers better support. Well, and who can respond at least reasonably well to the DoS attacks. I called gige yesterday who have a reputation for handling DDoS attacks well, and they just want an extra $1,000 per month for DDoS protection. I love you guys, but I can't swing that.

So, I'm still in the market. I'm so ready for this to be over.

"An elective despotism was not the government we fought for."
--Thomas Jefferson
Old May 22, 2007, 09:14 AM   #35
Derek Zeanah

Turns out all the attacks are coming from different machines in the same Chicago datacenter; and they are 100% unresponsive to calls/e-mails/whatever.

"An elective despotism was not the government we fought for."
--Thomas Jefferson
Old May 22, 2007, 09:49 AM   #36
Armorer-at-Law

Quote:
Turns out all the attacks are coming from different machines in the same Chicago datacenter; and they are 100% unresponsive to calls/e-mails/whatever.
Derek, is there anything that anyone else can do to help?
Old May 22, 2007, 09:50 AM   #37
fistful

THR, APS seem to be off-line again.
Old May 22, 2007, 09:54 AM   #38
GoRon

Quote:
Chicago, the current epicenter of the anti-gun movement in the USA.

Armed Polite Society
Old May 22, 2007, 09:57 AM   #39
Thefumegator

Quote:
It sounds to me like this needs to be handled [Sean Connery]The Chicago Way.[/Sean Connery]

It would sure be nice to knock on the door of the place, and ask them exactly what their malfunction is.

Wes

Browning Hi Power -- proving that 13 is NOT an unlucky number.
Old May 22, 2007, 10:02 AM   #40
GoRon

How about an address? I have some time on my hands.

Armed Polite Society
Old May 22, 2007, 10:12 AM   #41
dionysusigma

Quote:
Thefumegator:
Quote:
It sounds to me like this needs to be handled [Sean Connery]The Chicago Way.[/Sean Connery]

It would sure be nice to knock on the door of the place, and ask them exactly what their malfunction is.

Wes
Quote:
tydephan: But who knows. Could be a pimple-nosed juvenile with too much time and not enough attention.

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: What is your major malfunction, numbn*ts? Didn't Mommy and Daddy show you enough attention when you were a child?

Old May 22, 2007, 10:32 AM   #42
fistful

And now they're back up. Was it just me?
Old May 22, 2007, 10:50 AM   #43
txgho1911

Still experiencing brief interuptions when I sneak over to my backdoor at work.
Old May 22, 2007, 08:15 PM   #44
gyp_c2

dam*

...is it down again???
I just changed cable accts and I can't tell if my connection needs tweaking or THR has come under attack again!!!
Old May 22, 2007, 08:15 PM   #45
GoRon

Down, must of just happened.

Armed Polite Society
Old May 22, 2007, 08:21 PM   #46
gyp_c2

hmmm...

...horshirt...
Old May 22, 2007, 08:25 PM   #47
PPGMD

I finally registered here because it's been up and down at THR recently.
Old May 22, 2007, 08:27 PM   #48
craig45

it's working now, but barely.

somebody needs to give the chicago pd this guys address and tell them a female bartender there will NOT serve off duty cops.
Old May 23, 2007, 03:55 AM   #49
dionysusigma

Just tried APS. No response.
Old May 25, 2007, 10:04 AM   #50
tydephan

Just to make sure everyone knows, if you want to donate to help THR and the maintenance, you can do so via paypal now. [email protected] is the email address.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthrea...62#post3421262
Closed Thread