The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 12, 2017, 03:27 PM   #1
Excoastie

Remington 597 vs Ruger 10/22

I have reached the point where I'm looking to pick up an inexpensive .22LR for plinking and general target shooting up to about 50 yrds or so.

It was recommended to me to look at the Ruger 10/22 and get a decent, yet relatively inexpensive scope for it and just have fun. The Ruger has almost limitless options for customization, etc.

The Remington is about $150 cheaper all in, and it has a bit less options when it comes to customization.

All the reviews that I have read, and talking to several folks they all agree that both rifles are pretty good for what they're designed for.

I'm not looking for anything fancy, nor do I have any plans for serious customization. I just want a rifle that I can send some rounds down range, blow holes in paper targets or knock down some plinker targets.

Is the Ruger worth the extra money for the set up? or will the Remington do the same thing for a little less money?

I have even considered various other .22LR models from various manufacturers, but the two above are the ones that I've done the most research on. I think a discussion on other models would be better suited for a different thread, so please, let's focus on the 10/22 and 597

Exco
Old April 12, 2017, 05:00 PM   #2
Joe-ker

I don't have a very big dog in the fight so take it for what it's worth but I vote 10/22. I only have owned 10/22s. But a friend of mine had a 597 and while the gun was good, the mags gave him issues. Ruger simply has the best mags IMO and that's good enough reason for me.
Old April 12, 2017, 05:30 PM   #3
Excoastie

This post may be moot. I was over my FIL's house (he passed away last year) helping to clear out some stuff so we can sell the house.

I came across an old Marlin Glenfield Model 60, that I think was manufactured in 1972 (serial number 7231XXXX). It's a bit rough, and I suspect it's not 100% as it should be.

I broke it down, did a quick cleaning and lube on it, but discovered a few items that give me pause.

The magazine tube is loose when it's broken down (doesn't seem right that it's like that), there appears to be something a little off on the feed ramp, and the return spring also appears to be kinked and worn out.

I plan on taking it to a LGS to see if their gunsmith can take a look at it, and give it a 'tune up' and then go from there.

I figure if it costs less than $100 to repair anything that may be wrong with it, then it's worth it. I'd have a lot less in the weapon than if I purchased something new. I can then look into a scope for it.

Exco
Old April 12, 2017, 05:33 PM   #4
LeverGunFan

If you are sure that you won't be customizing your gun - the 10/22 has a huge advantage - and that you will be spending $150 less, then my vote is for the 597. I bought one cheaply a number of years ago and added a used Weaver rimfire scope to it. It's been reliable and functions on any ammunition that I've put in it, even the cheap bulk ammo. As Joe noted, there have been problems with some magazines, especially early versions. I think that Remington is on the fourth or fifth iteration of the magazine; as far as I know the later iterations work OK. I've found that the aftermarket magazines from keepshooting.com work well, and surprisingly the Promag 22 round magazines work well for me when loaded to 20 rounds. Whatever you choose, have fun!
Old April 13, 2017, 09:05 AM   #5
hammie

There's one in every crowd: I know you requested the comments be limited to the Ruger 10/22 and the Rem 597, but I was going to be hard pressed to not suggest a look at the Marlin 60, or it's detachable magazine counterpart, the model 795. Since you have inherited a possibly functioning, model 60, I am assuming that the marlins are now on your radar screen. You can usually get the 795's pretty cheaply at the big box stores.

This is one of the happy situations where either of your choices will be a good one. My personal preference (and that's all it is) would be the same as "levergunfan's": The remington 597. 2nd choice the marlin 795, and third the ruger. Initially, Remington did have some problems with the reliability of the 597 magazines, but that has long since been resolved. All current production magazines work fine, and any older magazine with a circled "10" on the magazine body will work fine.
Old April 13, 2017, 10:02 AM   #6
shootbrownelk

Didn't the Remington 597 get the nickname "Jam-O-Matic" some years ago? You'd be hard pressed to find a more reliable .22 rifle than the Ruger 10/22, and like others mentioned....aftermarket items for the 10/22 are readily available.
Old April 13, 2017, 03:19 PM   #7
pete2

At Bud's today, 10/22 is 239.00 and The Rem is 167.00, that's 72.00 difference. Well worth the difference to go with the Ruger. Shop Wally World or Academy you might get it cheaper.
Old April 13, 2017, 05:14 PM   #8
HankC1

Quote:
If you are sure that you won't be customizing your gun - the 10/22 has a huge advantage - and that you will be spending $150 less, then my vote is for the 597.
Agree!
Quote:
Didn't the Remington 597 get the nickname "Jam-O-Matic" some years ago?
Newer design with metal mag fixed a good portion of the problem. You hardly see the old mags anymore. Keep the guide rods only finger tight is also important. My 597 shoots well, no problem at all.
Old April 13, 2017, 05:43 PM   #9
reddog81

I'd shop around some and go with the Ruger of your Marlin doesn't work out My LGS had a new 10/22 for $175 the other day. I can't imagine the Remington is $150 less than that.
Old April 13, 2017, 07:18 PM   #10
Pahoo

Recovering 10/22 oholic

Excoastie
Usually, here is how this story goes;

Buy the Remington and enjoy it's limits and performance. Then you will look to improve performance and be limited on what you can do. All along, you will still have the 10/22 on your mind. Eventually you will buy a 10/22, hopefully an older one. Then the fun begins, on upgrades, starting out with just some "minor" changes and progressively invest more time and effort. I know because at one time, I had eight and finally down to three. I can say that I have not bought a new one in over 15yr's. However, I still look and touch. .... :eek

Good luck and;
Be Safe !!!
Old April 13, 2017, 11:40 PM   #11
Fullclip610

For what it's worth my Remington 597 is very very reliable with the 10 round mags. The 30 mags on the other hand are total garbage and don't work a damn.
Old April 15, 2017, 10:39 AM   #12
4V50 Gary
Staff

Ruger 10/22. Easier to work on.
Old April 15, 2017, 05:28 PM   #13
dgludwig

Quote:
I figure if it costs less than $100 to repair anything that may be wrong with it, then it's worth it.
Unless you consider the Marlin to be an heirloom (nobody can argue with that or even value it realistically), imo, any repair costs north of fifty bucks wouldn't be worth it, given what you can buy a new Remington or even a Ruger for. And my guess is that most gunsmiths are going to charge more than a hundred bucks to fix the apparent problems the Marlin seems to have. I'm curious as to what you learn about repairing it.

In terms of Remington vs Ruger-my vote goes to Ruger for reliability, workmanship and aftermarket accessory availability.
Old April 15, 2017, 07:52 PM   #14
Excoastie

**Update**

I brought the Marlin to one gunsmith, who was pretty up front with me, his advise was to take the rifle out and shoot it. He said if everything seemed to work, then just enjoy it. He also tapped the magazine tube back in. It seems that it's designed to rest into a recession on the breach and is held in place by the front sight. He didn't charge me for this.
He also said that the ejection port was "pretty worn" and as it was "the old style" there wasn't much that could be done with it. I did some research online, and I found out that you can actually retro-fit the newer ejector, along with a newer magazine feed (type system) to the older guns.

I brought it home, and I tried to work a few snap caps through the magazine, it wouldn't feed at all, just jammed up, only half way feeding into the chamber.

I plan on taking it to a different gunsmith that is near my gun club, and see what they have to say about it. I am thinking though, that it might not be worth the trouble (or expense) to get it fixed.

My thinking is that I'll just buy a 10/22, and then see if I can find a relatively inexpensive scope to mate to it, and go from there.

Thanks for the info everyone

Exco
Old April 16, 2017, 07:37 AM   #15
Mobuck

"The Remington is about $150 cheaper all in,"

How do you figure that when 10-22's can be bought for $200-220 plus tax??????
Remington 597 got a bad rep years ago and I wouldn't even pick one up off a dealer's rack to look at it.

I have two brands of scope on my using 22's---Vortex and Sightron. These are under $100 and plenty good for a general use 22.
Old April 16, 2017, 09:02 AM   #16
9x19

I've had Remington 597s in .22LR, .17HMR and .22WMR

I've had Ruger 10/22s in .17HM2, .22LR, .17HMR and .22WMR

I still have several 10/22s, no longer have the 597s. Never had alot of trouble with the 597s (early plastic magazines had issues, and all the magazine springs are a bit flimsy, IMO), but there are so many other options for the 10/22, I decided to standardize my rimfires around that action type.

Good luck.
Old April 16, 2017, 09:23 AM   #17
jmr40

Ruger, but I'd spend a little more and get something other than the standard carbine. If you look around you can spend very little more a much better version of the 10-22. My brother bought one of the deluxe versions a few years ago. It was $5 more than the standard carbine. Looking at Rugers website I count nearly 100 different variants of the 10-22.

http://ruger.com/products/1022Sporter/models.html

This is one of the lesser known versions. It comes with a mid-weight 20" target barrrel and trigger. They are more accurate most any 22 you'll buy. Mine out shoots my CZ bolt rifle. It is around $25-$30 more than the standard rifle and well worth it.

http://ruger.com/products/1022Sporte...eets/1235.html

Winston Churchill
Old April 16, 2017, 02:47 PM   #18
dgludwig

Quote:
Ruger, but I'd spend a little more and get something other than the standard carbine.
I really agree with this advice. My favorite Ruger 10/22 configuration is the one with the checkered, walnut Mannlicher stock and the s/s action and barrel. Spend a little more and get a lot more.
Old April 18, 2017, 12:51 AM   #19
joe sixgun

Check out the Marlin forum at rimfire central.com there is literally more information there on repairing and tuning your Glenfield 60 than I have seen anywhere else.
Old April 18, 2017, 07:51 AM   #20
cecILL

For lots of pinking, tube feds are a lot easier on your thumbs. But, you can always buy a bunch of extra magazines and loaders.
Old April 18, 2017, 08:19 AM   #21
jmorris

I have the 60, 597 and a bunch of 10-22's. Last year I had them out for a side by side comparison.

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...del-60.811602/
Old April 19, 2017, 05:38 AM   #22
Excoastie

I found a 10/22 at a pawn shop yesterday that looked like it was in excellent shape, and it already had a Simmons scope mounted on it. They're asking $219 out the door. I suspect it's a bit more than it's actually worth, but not so far outside the realm that I can't live with that price.

I realize that the Simmons isn't he best of scopes, but I think for my purposes (at least for now) it should do the trick, as I'm only planning on plinking out to about 50 yrds or so.

I'm gonna go back and talk to them this morning, perhaps even pick it up. If I can make a deal with them, pics will follow

Exco
Old April 19, 2017, 05:51 AM   #23
Targa

I have a Simmons on my Marlin 60 and will never need anything more, it does what it was designed to do.
Old April 19, 2017, 01:49 PM   #24
Excoastie

I picked up the 10/22 this morning. It's already got a Simmons 3-9X40 scope mounted, and after shooting it a bit, I think the scope will function well for my needs.

I don't think the person who pawned it had ever cleaned it. I spent the better part of an hour cleaning it, and getting all of the gunk out of it. At one point I was digging crap out with a plastic pick and having it come out in chunks.

It also took a bit of doing to get the three pins out, especially the bolt retention pin. I had to let them soak for a bit, then knock 'em out with a significant amount of force.

I just returned from the range. I've never been all that great with a rifle, but I did get all 120 or so rounds within the 8 ring at 25 yrds

Exco
Old April 19, 2017, 05:15 PM   #25
9x19

Congrats on the new rifle, looks like a nice one.