The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 15, 2017, 06:40 PM   #51
jetinteriorguy

Hmm, never tried Herco. I'll have to keep my eyes open for it and give it a try sometime. I did pull down my remaining loads and have reloaded them with CCI small pistol primers so we'll see how it goes again.
Old April 17, 2017, 12:55 AM   #52
highrolls

briabdg: "I sent three to your listed email. You can send any comments through pm or email."

Got them and thank you very much. Comments prolly off topic for here so check both your pm and email.

ShootistPRS: "You can get rid of your flinch too by doing the same things."

When I first started with Magnum pistol rounds, I was fortunate to have been shooting with someone like you, well someone who advocated the techniques you have. Worked great. Until I developed the second type of flinch, which I will re-name as the "age" flinch (I agree, sounds better than the "wimp" flinch). Started with the 454 casull. It began to be painful, so I traded off the gun. Then the 44 Mag began to be painful, but to be fair, this was a TC Contender with a super 14 barrel which puts the 240 grains out around 1800 plus fps and weighs less than typical 44 mag revolvers. So far, I still like to shoot 44 mags and can do so using recoil gloves, which I do not like much. When this begins to be painful, my only fallback to keep shooting them will be to load with Trail Boss. With 357 mags, the only painful flinch I have is with full up boutique ammo in the 357 Mag LCR which is my CC.

briandg: "I have no desire to fire anything more powerful than a .44."

Strongly Agree. I had a chance to empty the cylinder on a Smith .500. Fired one round and said thank you very much. While I did not think it was monstrous, it did hurt a bit in my wrist. Not quite as bad as the Desert Eagle in 50 AE, which seemed snappier (Is that a word?) Kept both empty cases as a reminder of my limitations.

jetinteriorguy: "I guess what I meant by primer flow is that the primer was quite literally flowing into the firing pin hole in the breach, not just a little cratering. And not just a little but a pretty substantial amount."

That can be a bad sign but can also be an indication of too much free play around the firing pin hole. Thats where a known good baseline round can be used for comparison. Look good in that area next time you take the gun down for cleaning.
Old April 17, 2017, 08:31 AM   #53
briandg

My brother in law is 6 feet plus, weighs beyond 240, served four years in the marines, stateside, during the seventies. Guy worked as an electric lineman for thirty years, an incredibly hard job. Imagine occasionally working eighty to 100 hour weeks when half of the state is flattened by ice storms, or a tornado tore out twenty square miles of lines.

Point being that he is a tough SOB who's as hard as rocks, a guy who is one in 1,000. He retired his .44 magnum years ago, his hands hurt. He handed my twelve gauge back after a few rounds. He likes his .22.

Recoil reminds me of peppers. I don't particularly like sriracha. My son in law remarked "that's not spicy".

"YES IT IS, YOU CRAP BAG! Don't be an idiot!"
Old April 18, 2017, 11:31 AM   #54
jetinteriorguy

I made it back to the range to try the Power Pistol loads using CCI SPP. Much better results, seems 5.6gr of PP works great with the Berry's heavy plated hollow base bullets. Only minor cratering with these primers like all my loads do with the carbine, so I'm going to have to find another use for the S&B SPP's. I did load up some 9mm using my standard load of 3.2gr of Clays and only got minor cratering so will try some more and can possibly use them for that load. If recoil is any indication of a bullets power these PP loads should have some oomph to them.