The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 9, 2017, 03:28 PM   #51
dgludwig

Quote:
I was always taught that if you needed more than 1 shot, you needed to practice.
Depends a lot on what you're hunting. A fast second shot would be a comfort against a charging cape buffalo, lion or grizzly bear. Needing more than one shot might have more to do with survival than with practice in some circumstances.
Old April 10, 2017, 10:04 AM   #52
ruggyh

Quote:
Depends a lot on what you're hunting. A fast second shot would be a comfort against a charging cape buffalo, lion or grizzly bear....
When is the last time you experienced this in Ohio?

Or did I miss the context of the OP- he is deer hunting in NY.

Good luck and be safe
Ruggy
Old April 10, 2017, 01:40 PM   #53
NoSecondBest

I live in NY and hunt both NY and Pa. So far I haven't been charged by any large dangerous game. I feel pretty safe using a single shot rifle
Old April 10, 2017, 02:32 PM   #54
mete

I was home already skinning my deer when my hunting buddy arrived. He had been hunting near me and heard a shot . Sounded like a 45-70 so he assumed it was me. But a second shot came too fast for a SS [he thought ] so it couldn't be me .Seeing my deer he asked how could I fire two rounds so fast from a SS [Browning 1885 45-70 ] ?
Old April 11, 2017, 03:36 PM   #55
dgludwig

Quote:
Quote:
Depends a lot on what you're hunting. A fast second shot would be a comfort against a charging cape buffalo, lion or grizzly bear....
When is the last time you experienced this in Ohio?

Or did I miss the context of the OP- he is deer hunting in NY.
Like I said in addressing his unspecified, blanket statement "...if you need more than one shot, you need to practice"; "Depends a lot on what you're hunting...", context specified. One thing that you've made clear though: you've obviously never hunted in Ohio. Our woodchucks get big, are fast afoot and have notoriously bad tempers.
Old April 11, 2017, 10:47 PM   #56
ruggyh

Quote:
...you've obviously never hunted in Ohio. Our woodchucks get big, are fast afoot and have notoriously bad tempers.
You are absolutely correct-never hunted Ohio woodchucks

Be safe
Ruggy

Old April 13, 2017, 04:07 PM   #57
dgludwig

Quote:
Quote:
...you've obviously never hunted in Ohio. Our woodchucks get big, are fast afoot and have notoriously bad tempers.

You are absolutely correct-never hunted Ohio woodchucks
I neglected to mention that our Buckeye woodchucks have been migrating-looks like you might have caught up with one. Knowing their dispositions, I assume the one you got (and I noticed it wasn't with a TC Contender ) was charging.
Old April 15, 2017, 06:54 PM   #58
johnwilliamson062

I'm not taking an immediate second shot even if I have a repeater. I may have to take a finishing shot later, but not in any time frame where a repeater would be convenient.

When I take the shot I pretty much know if all went well or not before I recover from recoil. If the animal is running and it went well, it will probably be down in less than 50 meters. Maybe 100. No reason to shoot again.
If it didn't go well I just hope I missed entirely, I guess.

The time a deer ran off my scope was bumped off and I didn't realize it. A second shot would have been equally off.

I hunt deer exclusively with single shots.
Old April 15, 2017, 07:37 PM   #59
FrankenMauser

Quote:
The time a deer ran off my scope was bumped off and I didn't realize it. A second shot would have been equally off.
Yep.

And that's exactly what happened with the scope failure I very briefly mentioned previously.

Bolt action loaded with 4 rounds.

First shot was off. - But it hit ... very badly.

Second shot verified that something was very wrong.

And then I was stuck trying to figure out where the rifle was going to hit, while doing my best to take down an animal that was fatally wounded ... but not in a manner that was immediately fatal. And it was running...

One of the worst hunting experiences of my life.
That stupid antelope made things worse by not knowing when to die.

...But it wouldn't have been any different with a single-shot.
Investigation and testing later on revealed that the scope had taken a crap.
Old April 15, 2017, 07:46 PM   #60
NHSHOOTER

I hunt deer here in NH or in So, Carolina either with my smoke pole 1 shot or one of my bolt guns and I never put more than 1 round in the mag and 1 in the chamber and I would be totally fine just having the 1 in the chamber, I never shoot unless I know its a kill shot.
Old April 17, 2017, 05:40 AM   #61
1100 tac

I am perfectly happy with my Hi Wall 45-70, one of the most accurate rifles I own. Kills just fine with one shot, but I keep a couple spares in my watch or jacket pocket. If I shoot I wait a little if a deer runs, most don't.
Old April 17, 2017, 05:44 AM   #62
flashhole

ruggyh - why did you shoot that cub?

Used single shot shotguns for years upland bird hunting. You practice and you can get doubles in the field. Down to one in 410 ga. Wonderful little gun.

My Stevens Favorite in 22 lr is one of the most accurate guns I've ever shot.

Ruger #1V in 25-06 is a bit heavy but very accurate and I tote it into the woods every year during deer season. Never felt I was lacking in firepower.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old April 17, 2017, 09:50 AM   #63
alex0535

Only time I went hunting with a single shot, didn't see anything.

But yeah, lots of deer are killed with the humble muzzle loader even today. And I'm sure a great many animals were killed with even more primitive firearms.

With a single shot cartridge gun and practice you can reload much faster than with a muzzleloader. As long as you're not hunting dangerous game, and have the patience to wait for a clear shot you are confident you can make through the vitals, things you should really do with any firearm and you'll kill things effectively.

I've never needed more than 1 shot on a deer. The only one I shot twice went down right in front of me, and I wanted to get busy cleaning it before dark so I put a second one into the head instead of waiting, and a single shot would of done just as well.
Old April 17, 2017, 09:51 AM   #64
jackstrawIII

Thanks for all the great comments everyone. Have enjoyed reading them.

Looks like a nice single shot is in my future!
Old April 17, 2017, 11:40 AM   #65
eastbank

POST-56, with that hat, were you trying to decoy a love sick bear? if you were that takes balls armed with only a handgun. eastbank.
Old April 17, 2017, 02:09 PM   #66
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Since my Father was a Farmer_Trapper_ and a highly qualified timber cruiser during my early childhood years. Dad he owned quite a few firearms.

I was loaned a favorite rifle of his and a few additional cartridges for its shooting every Fall to deer hunt with on those weekend {with the stipulation of} "Don't forget to pick up your spent brass." from about my age of 10 to 15.
Yup!! my hunting with Pop's preferred bear rifle _as it was known by our family.
Was a Winchester 1885 High Wall.

405 chambered. Having that rifle of his I toted thru some tight woods and across wet green swamps cradled in my arms. For a time that rifle even stood taller in stature than I did. No matter. Once aimed at the quarry._Brown was surely Down only because I didn't want to shoot that 1885 twice at the same animal. (a heavy recoil having to endure for any young'en barely weighing 50-60 lbs.)

So I quickly learned to be patient/ wait~~~and wait some more to make that first shot >my best shot.< __Dropping a deer on those old skidder trails in the evening behind the barn and pasture on a weekend. Seldom was I able to drag those deer home by myself. Luckily Dad had a team of horses for such retrieval. Two old plugs harnessed up we kids on occasion rode to school in the late Spring. Three of us riding on one horse bare back (molly) 3 miles to school. Many times molly arrived at school missing one of her passengers. >me. Thanks to my older siblings. Brother and nasty sister.

Boy could those old horses pull a deer or chokered tree/s in and out of some tight bush you wouldn't think to drive (ATVs or UTVs) in or thru. Recalling those times: "Those were some days"
Old April 17, 2017, 06:34 PM   #67
dgludwig

Quote:
You practice and you can get doubles in the field.
When pigs fly.
Old April 17, 2017, 06:50 PM   #68
44 AMP
Staff

A double on flying pigs with a single shot would be easier than a double on upland birds. Pigs are bigger and fly slower!

Assuming you are both mentally and physically prepared and practiced, (and the gun has an EJECTOR) I found I could get reloaded cocked and back on target in roughly 3 seconds give or take (when I was 14-15) and on a bird flying away, 3seconds didn't always take it out of full choke range.
Old April 17, 2017, 06:59 PM   #69
dgludwig

Quote:
Assuming you are both mentally and physically prepared and practiced, (and the gun has an EJECTOR) I found I could get reloaded cocked and back on target in roughly 3 seconds give or take (when I was 14-15) and on a bird flying away, 3seconds didn't always take it out of full choke range.
I defy anybody using a single-shot shotgun, even with ejectors, to get a second aimed/pointed shot off at a second bird flushed at the same time (a "double"). I'm sorry, but a pig with wings would fly to his sty unscathed. Three seconds, give or take, would give any subsequent grouse, quail, woodcock or pheasant (flushed at the same time-a double) plenty of time to reach its sanctuary.
Old April 17, 2017, 07:06 PM   #70
dgludwig

Quote:
A double on flying pigs with a single shot would be easier than a double on upland birds. Pigs are bigger and fly slower!
Which, of course, was my point. But, as I said, even pigs with wings, "flushed" at the same time, could easily make their get-away by time the arbitrary three seconds, "give or take", had elapsed. Now to find a pig that can fly to test my claim.
Old April 19, 2017, 08:38 AM   #71
Gunplummer

I used to just throw 4-5 cartridges in my pocket and head out. Usually just put 2 in the rifle. One year I was way back off even a dirt road and was attacked by a very large, rabid raccoon. It came hopping at me like a kangaroo. By the time I had the sense to just put the gun to hip level to shoot him, I was down to 1 round in my pocket. I really did not want to hunt with one round, so I started the long walk back. I did some thinking on that walk and now start out with a whole box when I head in. I have to think that all the posters that are nothing but "One shot kills" probably only carry one round into the woods with them. Am I right?
Old April 19, 2017, 05:11 PM   #72
dgludwig

Quote:
I have to think that all the posters that are nothing but "One shot kills" probably only carry one round into the woods with them. Am I right?
You would think the way some talk, they do. But I bet not. Not if they have any common sense.
Old April 19, 2017, 08:44 PM   #73
2damnold4this

The last time I hunted turkey with my muzzleloader, I didn't carry a reload.
Old April 19, 2017, 11:31 PM   #74
FrankenMauser

I don't know if Gumplummer's sentiment is aimed at me, or not.
But, there's no way in hell that you'll catch me in the woods with a single 'round' for my primary firearm - whether it's a single-shot, smoke pole, shotgun, bolt-action, pump-action, revolver, or auto-loader.

I don't take the shot on game animals unless I know it's a kill shot.
But that doesn't mean that I'm arrogant and stupid. There's always a backup plan.

Heck...
A few years ago, I was carrying a .444 Marlin Handi-Rifle on an elk hunt and fired all of my .444-410 shot shells bagging grouse. That, alone, was enough for me to turn around and head back to camp. I didn't care that the primary loads for the primary quarry were still good to go (seven rounds, I think). I wanted to restock on the secondary stuff. Grouse are easier to find, easier to clean, easier to pack out, and easier to cook, anyway...
Old April 20, 2017, 04:01 AM   #75
NHSHOOTER

Even Quigley with his single shot carried extra rounds, you never know how many bad guys are out there.

Tags
big game , deer hunting , ruger #1 , single shot , traditional