The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old April 5, 2017, 04:06 PM   #26
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
So is this all a matter of individual preferences or ARE there guns that are better for very specific roles than others?
OF course there are guns that are better suited for very specific roles than others. THAT's WHY they are made the way they are made. Calibers & cartridges, too.

I've got handguns ranging from a 14" .45-70 to a Colt Agent .38 with a 2.5" barrel. Do you think that they are equally well suited for every task one might wish to use them for? I don't.

Now, if you're only looking at a few dozen different brands and models of service type semi autos in 9mm, I think individual preference for which gun to use in what role is the key factor. But when you are talking about vastly different types of handguns, some are obviously better suited to some things than they are to others. A nearly two foot long single shot hand cannon isn't what I'd pick to drop in my pocket if I'm checking out something that went bump in the night. Nor is the snubnose .38 or "pocket 9" what I would pick to drop a deer at 100 yards.

Can it be done? yeah, but the drawbacks are ...considerable.

And, wiki is correct, MP does not stand for Multi Purpose in the name of the MP 5. MP stands for MaschinenPistole (machine pistol) which is the German term for submachine gun, and has been in use, with that meaning since about the end of WW I.
Old April 6, 2017, 02:01 PM   #27
tipoc

Pick up trucks are made to haul and tow things that cars can't do and that you don't need an 18 wheeler for. They do some things very well and some things not so well. Big and small versions are built. They have a clear purpose. If 50% of all pick up trucks never carry anything more than groceries and beer, they are still pick up trucks. How the individual user chooses to use them is up to them.

Same rule applies to guns and any other useful commodity.

A S&W 52-2 is a dedicated bullseye gun for 38 Spl. wadcutters for certain types of competitive shooting. You can use it for whatever a person wants but it's nature don't change.

A Seecamp 32 or the Sig P238 are small back up guns for deep concealment.

A Pardini FPM in .22 LR is an Olympic class competitive free pistol. That's it's function. You can do something else with it, but...

What the role of a gun is and why it was built is different from how it may be used by a given individual.

tipoc
Old April 6, 2017, 03:17 PM   #28
Tactical Jackalope

Well, I have different guns for different jobs. But I usually like to buy a gun that I see as an "all-around" pistol. Which all of mine are, with an exception of the Smith and Wesson 360PD. That is a backup gun only.

I have some range guns, too. In all honesty, for the most part, it's entirely up to you and what you designate them as.

Granted, a 9mm or .380 would be a poor choice as a woods gun. So it really does depend. But in a general sense, yes.