The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 15, 2017, 09:30 AM   #26
4V50 Gary
Staff

Lt. Col. John George used the M-1 Cabine while serving in Merrill's Marauders. He liked it, but then again, he relied on head shots to put down the Japanese he was fighting. You can read about it in Shots Fired in Anger.
Old April 15, 2017, 08:41 PM   #27
Deaf Smith

Not only Lt. Col John George, in his book, "Shots Fired in Anger" he wrote about being in several firefights, one even when trapped by a battalion of Japanese in Burma (he was in the 5307th.)

Before the war he was a competitor in rifle shooting in the Illinois State Guard , even shot at Camp Perry national matches in '38, and has a photo in the book with him, his rifle, and lots of trophies as well as at Camp Perry. He wrote that he felt the skills he learned at competition did most certainly reflect in combat shooting, in one case he would 'call the shot' in that he would put his sight on a Japanese and fire, then think 'head shot', next Japanese 'chest shot', and did this while retreating toward the front lines (they were cut off.) His rifle he used to get out of that? An M1 Carbine!

Well Lt. Col. George felt the M1 Carbine was an ace weapon. But remember, he was a very good shot and not a lot of GIs were. That may explain the difference.

And C. Shore, who wrote a book, "With British Snipers to the Reich ", also told about finding a Winchester made M1 Carbine in a ditch and he made it his personal rifle (he was a sniper.) He marveled at it's accuracy out to 200 yards. Even used the Carbine to take deer with FMJ. BUT again, he was a very good shot!

From Audie Murphy's book:

"Within a moment I am involved in a duel with a German who climbs upon a cannon to get the advantage of elevation. I see him as he lowers his rifle upon me and whip up my carbine. He fires. The bullet kicks dust in my face as my carbine goes off. Frantically I try to blink the dirt from my eyes, knowing the German will not miss again. It is only a few seconds, perhaps, but it seems much longer before I can see. The kraut is sprawled in front of the gun. Later I discover that my lucky shot got him in the heart." (Chapter 15)

"Grasping the carbine in my left hand and a grenade in my right, I step suddenly from behind the rock. The Germans spot me instantly. The gunner spins the tip of his weapon toward me. But the barrel catches in a limb, and the burst whizzes to my right. I lob the grenade and grab the carbine trigger with one movement. Before the grenade has time to burst, two krauts fall with carbine slugs in their bellies. I quickly lob two more grenades into the position; four of the eight Germans are killed; three are put out of action by wounds. The eighth, a squat, fat man, tries to escape.....I squeeze the trigger. The helmet jumps. The man falls as if struck in the head with a club." (Chapter 17)

"Before reporting to company headquarters, I carefully clean my carbine. ‘I want to go up and try to get that sniper,’ I say....There is a rustle. My eyes snap forward. The branches of a bush move. I drop to one knee. We see each other simultaneously. His face is a black as a rotting corpse; and his cold eyes are filled with evil. As he frantically reaches for the safety of his rifle, I fire twice. He crashes backwards....At headquarters I make my report. Then I go to the room that serves as a kitchen, take my carbine apart, and start cleaning it." (Chapter 17)

"Crack! It is like being struck with a ball bat. The ricocheting bullet digs a channel through my hip and knocks me flat....I raise my carbine and with my right hand fire pistol-fashion. The bullet spatters between the German’s eyes." (Chapter 18)

"'Wonder if I could get a carbine. I don’t like an M-1 for this woods fighting.'" (Chapter 19)

So there. Three top men who saw major combat and all of them extolled the Carbine.

That's good enough for me.

Deaf
Old April 15, 2017, 09:27 PM   #28
4V50 Gary
Staff

DeafSmith - This year I finally read Audie Murphy's book, To Hell and Back. He brought a German sniper rifle home as a war trophy and there are pictures of him showing it to guests.

BTW, make sure your Carbine is USGI and not aftermarket. Approach aftermarkets with guarded caution. I worked on an IAI reproduction and here's some issues:

1) rear sight aperture fell off while being used. It wasn't found.
2) rear sight base found to be crooked. Apparently the monkey who assembled it bent the rear sight.
3) Gas piston housing not staked on properly. It got loose.
4) Front sight is crooked.

You pay more with USGI because you get more.
Old April 16, 2017, 01:19 PM   #29
44 AMP
Staff

There's no question in my mind, the Carbine was a very good close range combat weapon. Light, low recoil, 15 shots, and about the power of a .357 magnum put the guys using them at an advantage over the enemy a lot of the time.

But not all the time. For all the stories about how good the carbine was, there are those that tell of it not being as good. Usually its a situational thing, and sometimes its more BS than truth.

One of the stories I heard as a youth came from a neighbor who had been a CB in the pacific. Some island which had been "cleared", his dozer crew was building an airstrip when they got pinned down by a sniper in the treetops. They had carbines, and couldn't get him, the sniper would shoot, then scoot around the backside of the tree, and the carbines just couldn't get through.

This went on for a while, and neither side actually hit anyone, but they knew it was a matter of time before the sniper (who was hitting pretty close) got lucky. At this point they are hunkered down behind the dozer, wondering what to do next and along comes a Marine, a "tall, lanky Texan with a wad of chew in his cheek" and a BAR. "Y'all got a problem, fellahs?"
P'ting goes a round off the dozer
Up comes the BAR, and the Marine "dumps about half a clip of AP" into the treetop.
Sniper rifle falls to the ground, sniper falls to the end of his rope. problem solved.

(or that's the way he told it, anyway )

Another story came from a friend of mine who had been a commo wireman in Korea. He hated the M1 Garand, and loved the carbine, and gladly admitted he had been fortunate enough to never have had to use either against anyone.

his "hatred & love" came from having to carry them. In the summer, (and per TO&E) he carried a carbine while stringing wire. But, when winter came, they "took away my carbine and made me pack that monster" M1 Garand. This was due to the widespread (and largely false) belief that the carbine wouldn't reliably penetrate the heavy quilted overcoat of the Chinese troops.

There's all kinds of stories out there, good and bad. A lot of them are the typical soldier's tale, if it worked, it was the greatest thing on earth, and if it didn't it was a POS, etc., and these things do grow in the telling...

Even still today, there is no one gun that is the best for every possible situation. The mix of pistol, SMG, carbine, rifle, and BAR (LMG) that the US used during the later half of WWII worked pretty well, usually, (backed up by heavier weapons on call) .

I've spoken to a couple of Germans, who faced that, and they were very impressed by the M1 Carbine (among other things). They said they "loved it" when they could capture one and enough ammo to be useful, because they were "very useful".
Old April 16, 2017, 01:41 PM   #30
ShootistPRS

The 30 M1 Carbine is not at all like a 357 unless you compare the carbine to a pistol. Fire them both from an eighteen inch barrel and the 30 carbine gets just over 1900 fps while the 357 gets just over 2400 fps - both with a 110 grain bullet. From a six inch revolver the 357 will give almost 1800 fps with a 110 grain bullet.
A better comparison would be the 110 grain 38 special +P load.
Old April 16, 2017, 02:51 PM   #31
amd6547

The only comparison of the 30 carbine to the 357mag I ever heard growing up concerned muzzle energy of a typical revolver compared to 30carbine energy at 100yds. Of course, 357mag carbines weren't real common.
I went through a trapper lever action phase, having owned a few, in different calibers.
Great guns, and a perfectly valid choice for many uses.
I've also owned various 9mm carbines, an ar, etc. The M1 carbine just has a perfect fit for me, and I prefer it and it's round over them all for home defense.
Old April 16, 2017, 03:03 PM   #32
Nibby

Howdy All...
Nooby here.

I have an early Inland ETO bringback w/ the GL sight disc attached to the stock. The Vet was Not a front line Soldier.
It appeared to have never had a sight mounted to it.
I attached a sight and that is what marred the lower screw.
Sorry for the bad pic.

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Resized_20170416_112100.jpeg (86.2 KB, 193 views)
Old April 16, 2017, 03:09 PM   #33
COSteve

Quote:
1968 Planet of the Apes. The Apes used modified M1 Carbines.
Yep, here's one from the original movie.

And one from Beneath the Planet of the Apes.

Last edited by COSteve; April 16, 2017 at 03:16 PM.
Old April 16, 2017, 10:55 PM   #34
Ibmikey

I gained a like for the Carbine in Korea and later received my first from DCM in 1963, that blossomed through the years to about fifty of them. Other firearm interests, gifts pd and collecting brought the number down through the years, however, I still have enough to shoot a different one each day for several weeks.
I have also inspected and fired Fulton Armory, Kahr, universal and other imitations of varied quality from good to utterly horrible..
Even with today's ultra high prices a good functioning original is the path to pursue to ownership. I was quite pleased with the later production Kahr, quality and functioning were just fine, others have had problems with them so i guess " ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances".
In any event the Carbine is the neatest personal sized rifle one can have for fun, home defense or bringing war time nostalgia into your life.
Old April 17, 2017, 03:51 PM   #35
Deaf Smith

If any of you here are in Alaska.... and have a Carbine.... does it freeze up in the winter (presuming you dry lube it)?

Oh, and does the bullets bounce off game when it's that cold?

Deaf

Last edited by Deaf Smith; April 18, 2017 at 08:33 PM.
Old April 17, 2017, 04:32 PM   #36
Chris_B

Subject of "M1 carbine efficacy in Korea" was a dead horse the last time the dang horse's grandfather died.

Youtube groans under the videos. The internet gnashes its teeth, and those who where there saw what they saw or what they feel they saw.

Korea is not just a sub-arctic wasteland and nobody here will volunteer to put on a frozen kapok jacket and find out 'the truth'.

And if Mythbusters did it, let me stop you right there. I liked the show, Actual experts they were sometimes not. If you raise me Mythbusters, I will show you a leprechaun, a virgin, and a third mythical creature like a unicorn.
Old April 17, 2017, 07:13 PM   #37
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Fire them both from an eighteen inch barrel and the 30 carbine gets just over 1900 fps while the 357 gets just over 2400 fps - both with a 110 grain bullet.
2400fps with a 110gr .357 from an 18" barrel is faster than any data I've seen. 2300fps from a 20" yes, but never 2400 from an 18".

Of course, some guns are faster than others, so I'm not saying its impossible, I'd love to see the load producing 2400fps from an 18" fired in different guns, to see if it held that velocity.

My experience with different rounds that vary just a little in bullet weight & speed (10% or less) is that while there are differences we can measure, the effect on game an people seems to be about the same. I've found that a 10% or more (and sometimes less than 10%) difference in diameter seems to have more of a noticeable effect on game. (probably people too, but I don't have personal experience with that).
Old April 18, 2017, 10:52 AM   #38
COSteve

Quote:
2400fps with a 110gr .357 from an 18" barrel is faster than any data I've seen. 2300fps from a 20" yes, but never 2400 from an 18".
Technically, you are accurate, however, check out Hodgdon's Handloading site for the 357mag in a rifle. They state that using a Hornady 110grn XTP bullet with a full charge (23.0grns) of H110 and an OAL of 1.590", the combination will produce 2,398fps. That's close enough to 2,400fps. Oh, by the way, it's not from an 18" barrel, it's from an 18.5" barrel. So, 2fps and .5". I can live with that difference.

Further, they also state that using a Hornady 158grn XTP bullet with a full charge (16.7grns) of H110 and an OAL of 1.590", the combination will produce 1,757fps. My 20" Rossi carbine produces 1,789fps and my 24" Rossi rifle produces 1,822fps so those numbers look good. In addition, if one uses Elmer Kieth's original 357mag load levels, my carbine produces 1,944fps and my rifle produces 1,977fps.
Old April 18, 2017, 05:46 PM   #39
Reloadron

The M8 grenade launcher and the M3 flash hider both shared the same method of attachment to the barrel. The clamp on wingnut affair. Both devices are pictured in Bruce N. Canfield's book the M1 Garand and the M1 Carbine. I have one of the M1 Carbine flash hider knock offs made in Spain.

Ron
Old April 18, 2017, 09:02 PM   #40
Deaf Smith

But tell me folks, does the .357 Magnum from a rifle barrel keep it's velocity well as the Carbine at ranges like 100 and 200 yards? Does it have a better trajectory? More energy?

Well here is some answers..

HTML Code:
Carbine        110 gr. Remington Soft Point.
                      Vel(fps)         Energy(f/lb)     trajectory (100 yard zero) 
Muzzle.....           1990             882                      -1.5
100 yards.            1567             600                       0.0
200 yards.            1236             373                     -12.9
http://guide.sportsmansguide.com/bal...s/30carbal.htm

HTML Code:
.357 Magnum Hornady 140 grain FTX 18 inch barrel
                      Vel(fps)         Energy(f/lb)     trajectory (100 yard zero) 
Muzzle.....           1850             1064              -1.5
100 yards.            1458              660               0.0
200 yards.            1064              422             -15.6
http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm.357-magnum.html

So you see, if you use a semi-pointed .357 magnum round made for rifle barrels it gives you some more power but not a huge amount. Nor does it give you a flatter trajectory.

And the Carbine holds 15 to 30 rounds over a .357 Magnum leveraction's 9 or 10.

Deaf

Last edited by Deaf Smith; April 18, 2017 at 09:20 PM.
Old April 19, 2017, 05:48 PM   #41
COSteve

Deaf Smith does have an interesting point, however, his numbers aren't quite complete and he's omitted some interesting information as well.

Hodgdon lists 110grn 357mag at 2,398fps, Buffalo Bore sells 125grn 357mag that produces 2,298fps, and 158grn 357mag that produces 2,153fps; all from a 18.5" levergun. I should note that my chrono data from my 20" carbine and 24" rifle shows that the 24" rifle produces 30-40fps faster velocities than the 20" so I'm betting that a 20" produces faster velocities than a 18.5" one does too.

Yes, the flatter nose on the pistol bullet will produce more drag at distance, however, that is totally irrelevant at 100 or even 200yds when comparing the 30 carbine bullet fired from an M1 Carbine to a 357mag bullet fired from a Rossi levergun. Why, you ask?

I own and shoot M1 Carbines and 357mag Rossi leverguns. I handload for both and produce high quality, accurate ammo for both. Even though my new Auto Ordance is hands down more accurate than my GI '43 NPM with my handloads, the 30 Carbine rd isn't an accurate load in any carbine. Groups of 3-4" at 100yds are considered excellent for a M1 Carbine.

Compare that to my Rossis shooting my handloads which produce groups less than 2" at 100yds. The 357mag cartridge is considerably more accurate so at longer ranges above 100yds, the 30 Carbine may have more velocity left but is much more likely to miss the target.

At closer range, say under 50yds, the higher weight and larger size of the 357mag bullet produces significantly more muzzle energy than the 30 Carbine. From a SD or HD standpoint, the 30 Carbine, even with a JSP bullet, can't touch the performance of a 110, 125, 140, or 158grn 357mag bullet fired from a 20" carbine barrel.

The only advantage the M1 Carbine has over the levergun is that it's a semi-auto. Again, I have both. I shoot both. And ballistically, the 357mag, fired from a levergun is superior to the 30 Carbine in every way possible.

Last edited by COSteve; April 19, 2017 at 05:55 PM.
Old April 19, 2017, 06:01 PM   #42
COSteve

Despite the above, the M1 Carbine is an outstanding addition to anyone's collection. It's fun to shoot and a great plinker. Many find it a perfect HD weapon as their wives find it easy to handle and aren't afraid of the recoil.

Further, it's significantly more compact than an AR and it's muzzle blast and flash is considerably less than an AR's as well, making it a preferable HD choice to the AR is my book.

With 2ea ARs, 2ea M1 Carbines, and 2ea Rossi 357mag leverguns, I can choose any of them to shoot. My choice of an M1 Carbine and/or a Rossi over an AR to take to the range is common. Both are just more fun to shoot than the AR.
Old April 19, 2017, 08:02 PM   #43
amd6547

Not accurate? Tnoutdoors9 shows it to be plenty accurate at 300yds, for a weapon designed to replace a pistol.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2ozvYaxr6iQ
Old April 19, 2017, 09:41 PM   #44
Deaf Smith

Quote:
Hodgdon lists 110grn 357mag at 2,398fps, Buffalo Bore sells 125grn 357mag that produces 2,298fps, and 158grn 357mag that produces 2,153fps; all from a 18.5" levergun.

HTML Code:
110grn 357mag at 2,398fps  Sierra 110 JHC 'Bliz'.

vel. fps     energy(f/lb)
Muzzle         2400           1407
100 yards      1752           749
200 yards*     1296           410
HTML Code:
Buffalo Bore 125grn 357mag that produces 2,298fps

Muzzle            2300       1468
100 yards         1725        826
200 yards*        1312        478

HTML Code:
Buffalo Bore 158grn 357mag that produces 2,153fps

Muzzle            2200       1698    <--- ** 
100 yards         1603        902
200 yards*        1273        569

* extrapolated from the Sierra Handgun Reloading Manual 3ed Edition
due to it having a 150 yard and 250 yard but no 200 yard velocity or
energy.
** gave it 47 fps due to manual having increments only in 100 fps.

So in reality ONLY the Buffalo Bore 158 grain load would be significantly better. But go try to find that load in any store. BUT... note also I gave that load 47 fps it didn't have to begin with. And the trajectory is still not as flat as the Carbine (Sierra's manual does not have a 100 yard sightin.)

The carbine's real advantage is firepower. Not only in amount of ammo carried, speed of reloading, but also in the speed one can fire in a defensive situation, that is rounds per second. One can touch off three very fast shots and no lever action can fire that fast and be even slightly accurate.

Also the Carbine is in a 5.5 lb configuration (that is, a very light rifle.) It also can be fired at odd angles. That is most lever actions will jam if fired from canted positions, or upside down for that matter. Carbine won't!!!

Also the Carbine does not heat up like lever actions do from rapid fire. Also the sighting system (aperture sight) is superior to most lever actions as they come from the factory.

And as for accuracy, the M1 Carbine, in good examples that have not been shot out, will shoot just as good, if not better, than lever actions do. JUST AS GOOD.

Deaf

Last edited by Deaf Smith; April 19, 2017 at 09:57 PM.
Old April 20, 2017, 06:07 PM   #45
COSteve

Quote:
And as for accuracy, the M1 Carbine, in good examples that have not been shot out, will shoot just as good, if not better, than lever actions do. JUST AS GOOD.
My '43 NPM correct Marlin barrel's muzzle is a 1 and the chamber is a 1.5. The carbine is pristine as in almost new condition and yet it still shoots 4+" groups at 100yds with handloads. (That's no where near a 'shot out' carbine. In fact, those are new barrel specs.) My new commercial AO M1 Carbine shoots much better but still is a 2+" group shooter at 100yds. Both my Rossi 357mag leverguns shoot under 2" at 100yds with my handloads.

Those aren't arm waving platitudes as your statement appears but rather real, measured accuracy. I love my M1 Carbines and my Rossi and they both serve their designed purpose well.

The facts are that the 357mag cartridge, fired from a 20" barreled levergun provides superior performance in a larger bullet, be it a 110grn or the heavier 125grn, 140grn, or 158grn bullets than even the 110grn Sierra JSP bullets I load my 30 Carbine HD ammo with.
Old April 20, 2017, 06:10 PM   #46
Kevin Rohrer

What James K said. I have fired practice grenades from one, and was AMAZED at how far they flew.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old April 20, 2017, 09:03 PM   #47
Deaf Smith

Quote:
Those aren't arm waving platitudes as your statement appears but rather real, measured accuracy.
So COSteve you picked one Carbine and judged them all not particularly accurate. And then you judged one leveraction and judged them all very accurate.

Now is that an accurate statement of what you posted?

Oh, and your leveraction grew to a 20 inch barrel but the Carbine stayed as an 18 inch barrel. Now was that lever action scoped to?

Deaf
Old April 20, 2017, 09:43 PM   #48
HiBC

Quote:
The only grenade launcher I remember for the M16 was the M203.
Actually the flash hider on the AR's and M-16's IS the grenade launcher.

I've fired a few inert rifle grenades at silhouette targets at 100 yds.
We also launched a few rifle grenade parachute flares.
I'm not sure the blank we used was an official grenade blank,but it was 5.56,star crimped,with white lacquer.

Other countries have developed rifle grenades that work with ball ammo,so no blank is necessary.
Of course,USA went with the 40mm launcher.
Old April 20, 2017, 11:35 PM   #49
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
That is most lever actions will jam if fired from canted positions, or upside down for that matter. Carbine won't!!!
I've never noticed any of the lever actions I own to be particularly sensitive to canting, although I can see it being possible, lever guns were designed a bit earlier than the carbine, and not specifically for combat.

Never tried shooting a rile upside down. I think I'd have a really difficult time aiming...

Old April 21, 2017, 09:17 AM   #50
kraigwy

I'm a huge Carbine Fan. I guess I got that from my father who love it. He fought in the SP in WWII, (Burma), said you could seldom see more then 25 yards it was so thick. Because of his experience on Burma it was his weapon of choice in Korea also.

He even had pictures of a water buffalo he killed with his Carbine. Ammo was light, the rifle was light, small and easy to get through the Jungle wait-a-minute vines. Same reason I fell in love with the M16A1 in Vietnam. After all, you do more humping then shooting as an infantryman. And not to be outdone, I killed a water buffalo with my 'A1.

And, if one learns to shoot it, its accurate. Mine is an Underwood I got through the CMP. I shoot it in their carbine matches. At the first part of this month I got the "old guys' award' shooting mine at the CMPs Oklahoma Games. They call it the High Grand Senior. But for an old man shooting an old rifle, I'm happy.

Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071