The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 16, 2017, 09:03 AM   #76
random guy

Quote:
NickCS said: "I'm in California, so getting more K-frames would take incredible luck (must purchase used) and a four-figure dollar outlay."
Seriously? It's worse than I thought. Are K frame S&Ws banned as "Saturday Night Specials", "Military Grade Hardware" or because "If we let the law abiding have them a criminal might be able to steal one"?

"Reasonable gun safety laws", huh?
Old April 16, 2017, 11:30 AM   #77
JC57

First ever was a Model 66 no-dash 4" that I bought in 1978 and carried for about 10 years in law enforcement until the dept switched to issued 9 mms in the late 80s. No longer have that one but I do have 4 other Ks now.
Old October 12, 2017, 03:44 PM   #78
cole k

The summer I was 17, I bought my first K frame. It was a M&P .38 Spl Marked Property of U.S. Air Corp. The summer I was 14, I bought my first single action revolver, it was a FIE Colt clone of their .22. Since the dealer was an old family friend, I'm sure he called Dad to see if it OK for me buy both of these revolvers. These revolvers birthday presents to myself.
Old October 12, 2017, 04:06 PM   #79
shurshot

1987, South Portland, Maine, I worked in a warehouse with a retired Marine, Roy P., he had previously worked BRIEFLY for an armored car co. In talking with him, I discovered that he quit after failing to qualify on the firing range. He was upset, as he had spent 25 years in uniform, and carried in action & qualified with a 1911A1 .45, but after firing ONE shot with a 125 grain Federal. 357 Magnum round, he decided it was too much blast and recoil. He was disgusted they wanted him to prove his ability to shoot (after serving in Vietnam x2 and experience with the .45 Colt auto pistol), but the armoured car co. mandated their staff carry and qualify with .357 revolvers and magnum loads, no .45 Autos allowed, Company policy. So he quit. Took the job at the warehouse, saving money to move to Hawaii with his Asian wife for his golden years. He was a good man, strong as a bull too. I remember I was 18, very big & strong myself, but he beat me arm wrestling, and at well into his early 50's! I asked him, "what was the gun"? A "S&W model 19, 2.5 in snubby combat magnum" he replied. One shot fired... he had NO interest in ever firing it again and didn't want the hassle of trying to take it to Hawaii when he moved. I ended up buying it (along with box, paperwork,) and a box of 49 Federal rounds, for $200.00 cash. My "Dad bought the revolver"... Lol, I was still only 18. An additional $20.00 bought a black basket weave Bianchi High rise holster. Only one chamber had a dirty ring in it, and along with the 49 rounds in the ammo box, one empty and pristine Condition of the weapon, I verified it was MINT. Like a fool, I later traded it off. Sweet carry gun. Still kick myself!!! Luckily, I just bought another last week, only a few more fired, this one a 1970 version (19-3), but she cost me $550.00. Worth every blessed penny! I often wonder how Roy is doing today, if he is still around, living the dream. And, I wonder who has that Combat Magnum!!! My dad had given me a 6" Taurus 66 .357 the previous year, which I still have. But the SW was the first K frame I bought myself.

Last edited by shurshot; October 12, 2017 at 05:40 PM.
Old October 13, 2017, 06:01 AM   #80
arquebus357

I'm 81 and my first K frame S&W was adopted just a few weeks ago. I never had much interest in S&W revolvers because they were priced outside my affordable threshold. Then I recently found I could get a police turn in for like $300.

I'm very happy with this model 64-3. It's now polished and waiting for new grips from Thailand. Of course, I had to completely (almost) disassemble it in spite of all the warnings to the contrary. With YouTube help I found it to be not at all difficult. Certainly a whole lot easier than Ruger's single action nightmares.

Like I said, it's now polished but I would much prefer a sand blasted finish like it has on the top of the frame and barrel. How serious does a sandblasting system need to be to accomplish this ?
Old October 13, 2017, 03:50 PM   #81
glenncal1

As soon as I turned and could buy a hand gun (we had plenty in the family, but I wanted my own) I bought a 48-4 6". Still have it, still shoot, will leave it to a family member. I have purchased plenty (mostly k-22 variants) since but like women you always remember your first.

Many K and N Frames
Old October 13, 2017, 07:20 PM   #82
tallball

It was three or four years ago. There was a "generic" K-frame 38 special for auction. It turned out to be a "military and police" model from 1916, Its finish was worn. I got it for a $143 bid. It is a great shooter and completely dependable. I feel like I got my money's worth.
Old October 13, 2017, 09:31 PM   #83
4V50 Gary
Staff

Bought a Model 10 to work on at school & sold it afterward. They were cheap back in the '80s.
Old October 14, 2017, 08:29 AM   #84
otasan

My 1st K-frame.

S&W M15 4-inch .38 Special.