The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old April 24, 2017, 06:37 PM   #26
SaxonPig

If wearing a coat and it never comes off then just about anything in a holster works fine. That scenario is not practical. So I go with the smallest and lightest auto pistol in the absolute bottom line caliber. Front pocket carry in a thin leather pocket holster. Loaded with the JHP ammo I can find.

I actually have two of these and a few times I carried the second one in an ankle holster. But I found it not the most comfortable arrangement.

Old April 24, 2017, 06:44 PM   #27
Brian48

I live in MA so concealment is everything around here or the Libtards blow a gasket. That said, I appendix carry, usually between 1:00-2:00 o'clock. It prints less than other carry modes and works best for me. It's also easier on my shoulder since I don't have to reach around my waist (really starting to feel all the mileage from my youth).

Old April 25, 2017, 06:45 AM   #28
Spats McGee
Staff

I've never made that many changes in my carry habits. When I first started carrying in ~2009, our family budget was exceptionally lean. If I bought a gun, I damn well just had to be happy with it, because there was no trading back and forth. That would have cost me money that my family couldn't have afforded. My first carry gun was a Springfield Armory GI model 1911. I carried in a Theis IWB initially, but decided that I also wanted an OWB leather holster for it, so I picked up a DeSantis Speed Scabbard. If you're going to carry a full-sized 1911 and an extra mag or two, that's a pretty comfortable way to go.

Still, it didn't take me long to figure out that there were days when it sure would be handy to have something to just slip in my pocket. Something for early morning runs to the grocery store, or when I'm working in the yard. So I horse-traded some stuff around and wound up with a Ruger LCR in .357, and put it into the rotation.

Well, after a while, I got to thinking that as much as I loved my 1911 (& I do), that thing got heavy if I carried it all day. This ol' fat boy is built for comfort, not for speed.... So I went to looking for something lighter. That meant polymer. To my mind, that was a bad thing. I'd never owned a polymer pistol and didn't really want one. Nonetheless, I've got some folks in my circle of acquaintances whom I consider to be pretty knowledgeable about guns, and they carried polymer pistols, so I figured I'd give polymer a go. Once I'd gotten past that mental roadblock, I re-examined caliber . . . . and decided that I didn't absolutely, positively have to carry "a caliber beginning with a 4."

So off I went to research another carry pistol, and I wound up with a Gen 4 G19. Pretty soon, she was getting more time on the belt than my 1911. After a while, I decided that it didn't make a lot of sense for me to have 3 carry pistols, one with a thumb safety and two without. So, with some sadness, I have mostly retired my 1911 from carry.

I haven't gathered the proverbial Box Of Holsters, but I do have one for each gun for almost any occasion, and every belt I own is a gunbelt. These days, I carry either the G19 or the LCR, depending on what that day's wardrobe looks like. I cannot always resist the siren song of the 1911, so I still carry her now and again.
Old April 25, 2017, 05:42 PM   #29
john in jax

Another Floridian here. Almost always a pancake or IWB at 3 O'Clock with 9mm or .40. Sometimes I go with a paddle depending on clothing. Every once in a while I get nostalgic and go with .45acp 1911, but holster types and position remain the same.

When I can't dress around the above I pocket carry a Glock 43.

I haven't hunted in years but if I get back out there it will probably be a 4" GP100 .357 in a pankake at 3.
Old April 28, 2017, 11:32 PM   #30
GuyWithaGun

Used to carry a browning high power on this cheap owb retention holster that was a real pain, got an iwb and still carried the browning until I fired a colt detective spiecial on a whim and that was that.. so I bought that and carried it on a nice leather owb very light weight and comfortable.

I now carry a bersa thunder plus on a shoulder holster, I find it works best for fast draw even in a car or when sitting etc, also it doesn't present an issue in public bathrooms!!! I do still rotate the revolver into carry though whenever I feel like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old April 29, 2017, 08:47 PM   #31
Doc Holliday 1950

My first carry was a 4"Colt Python.
Either carried in a hip holster or a
Inverted shoulder holster. Both rigs
LEO issue.
Now I carry my G19 in a ITW holster.
Very comfortable & easy to carry here
in South Florida or my AA mini 5 shot
22 mag in my pocket. Don't wear shorts!

Doc
Old April 30, 2017, 02:31 AM   #32
Danoobie

Full size, OWB holster.
There's a few rigs, I like different
stuff on different days.
Old April 30, 2017, 09:45 AM   #33
jstert

Concealed Carry: What works for you?

interesting to read how we all go around with handgun choices, and the importance of a proper holster and belt (where i need to focus on now as my armory is full).

these days i narrowed my ccw picks to a naa guardian 32acp, bond arms 3" derringer 9mm or 410 (45lc in speedstrips), s&w 642 38sp (wadcutters only), ruger lcr 22lr. i enjoy shooting them so i get enough practice to be handy and accurate with them.

i regularly enter facilities that prohibit firearms, which must be unloaded and locked inside my vehicle. although im a wheelgun guy, the naa guardian or ba derringer often get the nod. revolvers are a time consuming, suspicious looking, pain to unload and reload while seated holding the gun low out of public sight under the steering wheel in a busy car parking lot.

i like naa and ba; they make stout, handy, steel, reliable pieces with heart in the usa and offer great customer service.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by jstert; April 30, 2017 at 09:56 AM.
Old April 30, 2017, 10:06 AM   #34
Areoflyer09

I've got a Sig P938 that I conceal with Single Clip Protos-M IWB holster from Black Arch Holsters. I haven't picked up a OWB holster yet for my Range Officers, but that will likely be from Black Arch as Well when I do.

I was extremely picky when trying holsters for the first time in the store. Quickly discovered that I don't like the feel of kydex pushed against me and whatever I picked out would need to be soft on the side that touches me. The Black Arch was comfortable from day one. I've been very pleased with that purchase.
Old April 30, 2017, 05:22 PM   #35
AxlMyk

Good leather belt, DeSantis leather holster OWB 3o'clock, Glock 26, vest to cover it.
Old April 30, 2017, 06:59 PM   #36
Coloradohtr

What works best for me as of right now for EDC is my HK p30sk in an Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.0 IWB at the 3 or 4 o'clock position. In the past I carried a Ruger SR1911 commander in a normal Alien Gear Cloak Tuck IWB in the 4 o'clock position. Alien Gear makes good holsters and they are reasonably priced. Customer service is also good too.

I have also carried my HK USP 40 S&W fullsized with a Streamlight TRL-3 in a Huckleberry Tactical light bearing OWB rig too. They are nice as well but pricy and the lead time took a while. You can do a lot of custom colors and what not with them too if your into that.

At work however, we open carry. I carry my Smith and Wesson 629 4'' barrel mountain gun in .44mag in a Bianchi duty nylon holster. The weight of the gun isn't an issue for me. Neither is the recoil, it is a very accurate pistol. I also carry this during the winter months when I can wear a jacket over it and during hunting season.
Old April 30, 2017, 08:47 PM   #37
dave7798801

Old May 1, 2017, 12:27 AM   #38
rock185

In an effort to avoid my natural tendency toward long-winded bloviation, I'll just say that I've evolved from full sized pistols and revolvers for CCW to much smaller, lighter guns
Old May 1, 2017, 07:17 AM   #39
serf 'rett

The Uncle Mikes nylon was retired the day I found myself looking at it and the Kahr lying on the ground.
Old May 1, 2017, 07:38 AM   #40
JoeSixpack

What UM belt did you have? the cheap one that's like 10-15?

I've been using a UM reinforced instructors for the last 4 years, has held up well, only cost about 30 dollars and is pretty stiff, I love it.
Old May 1, 2017, 11:18 AM   #41
OldMarksman
Staff

Couple thoughts.

First, one's ability to draw quickly and to shoot the gun effectively should not be compromised too much in favor of concealability.

And second, while many are enamored with the ubiquitous five shot revolver, if one puts one on a table next to a fairly compact semi auto, one might surprised at how little difference there is in size.
Old May 1, 2017, 12:09 PM   #42
Doc Holliday 1950

Old Marksman,

You hit that one right on the head. I absolutely find" almost" no difference between carrying my SP 101 2.5" 357 and my Glock 19 in the inside the waist holster.
I prefer the Glock and 15+1 which outstrips a 5 shot revolver. I'm tall and slim
& I found that I can carry both easily and well concealed. Both are easy to pull quickly.

Doc
Old May 1, 2017, 08:02 PM   #43
Vulcannut

Depends on the day but as I live in an open carry state and if I am going somewhere that doesn't ban it then it's OWB with my M&P 40c in a Desantis Pancake holster. A t-shirt covers good enough so don't get any looks and don't care if I did.

For pocket carry it's an LC9 with Crimson trace laser in a Desantis Pocket tuk.

Sooner or later one of my M&P Shields will make it in the rotation.

State allows open carry but limits mag to 10 rounds so compact or sub compacts is what I end up carrying. Keep the fills size stuff for the range.
Old May 2, 2017, 10:19 AM   #44
TailGator

Quote:
i regularly enter facilities that prohibit firearms, which must be unloaded and locked inside my vehicle. (Emphasis added.)
Just curious if that is a law in your jurisdiction or your personal preference.
Old May 2, 2017, 11:08 AM   #45
HistoryJunky

I've had my carry permit for 2 years or so. I'm 27 now. 34" waist and 5'7.

My first carry gun was a S&W M&P 40 full size. I carried it IWB in the small of back area. I stopped carrying that way when I realized it was very difficult to draw if sitting down.

I've moved through a lot of guns. Now I carry either a Ruger LCP, a Ruger SR40C, or a CZ P07, and an extra magazine for whatever I'm carrying.

I still carry IWB now strong side.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Old May 21, 2017, 09:03 AM   #46
Recoil spring

I'm a pocket guy.

I first started carrying concealed in the early 80's used a Freedom Arms .22 mini-revolver, always in my front pocket. I then upgraded to a NAA mini-revolver in .22 magnum, bought in 2007. Both of these guns were very comfortable to carry, often forgot they were there, had to put my hands on them a few times when an attack seemed to be coming, the crooks seem to back off when you begin to focus on them and put your hand into one's pocket to grab the butt of the gun.

Tried a Raven P-25 semi-auto pistol, all metal, in the 80's was too heavy, so used an inside belt holster. I tried my Glock 19 for pocket carry, too big and heavy, have moved from the mini-revolver to the mouse guns like the Ruger LCP and Kahr CW 380, much more fire power than the small revolvers, and comfortable in the pocket.

Really, though, pocket carry works the best, no risk of anyone seeing a metal clip on a belt.
Old May 21, 2017, 09:06 AM   #47
pete2

642 revolver in pocket or inside waistband Hume holster.
Old May 21, 2017, 11:31 AM   #48
loknload

At my stage of life I'm not carrying anything that I'm going to need suspenders to hold my pants up. I'm not wearing a Batman utility belt with a knife, spare mags or speedloaders and a ring of keys to balance the other side?
Now all I do is drop my LCP in my jeans pocket or my jacket pocket no muss, no fuss.
I only carry to get myself out of a jam not fight a war!
Just my thoughts!
Old May 21, 2017, 01:11 PM   #49
heyjoe

[QUOTEloknload At my stage of life I'm not carrying anything that I'm going to need suspenders to hold my pants up. I'm not wearing a Batman utility belt with a knife, spare mags or speedloaders and a ring of keys to balance the other side?
Now all I do is drop my LCP in my jeans pocket or my jacket pocket no muss, no fuss.
I only carry to get myself out of a jam not fight a war!
Just my thoughts! ][/QUOTE]

you are better armed than 97% of people out there and if you know how to use it 99%
Old May 21, 2017, 03:22 PM   #50
random guy

Outdoors in winter, almost anything goes. A 4" 629 with Pachs made a wonderful coat pocket carry. A 4" M&P 9 rides nicely in a Safariland GLS paddle holster which covers well with even a loose hoodie. Has a great draw. I have a DeSantis IWB kydex for it as well but haven't decided if that is going to work for me. It's a pretty abrasive pistol.

In summer, my Kel-tec P-11 is a fave. Works well in jeans pocket and also fits perfectly into a cheap Molle phone belt pouch. Holds muh phone too. I've considered something like an LCP but the Kel-tec seems to handle pocket pistol duty very well.