The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 11, 2017, 10:47 PM   #26
peggysue

If you go on the Buds web site you will notice CZ .S&W. KelTec, Rock Island Armory, and all have as many or fewer guns they carry listed in stock too.
Manufacturing does not over build like they used to in the 1970's anymore.
Old March 13, 2017, 12:22 PM   #27
kmw1954

It also may be because of the political climate in Brazil these days. I've heard talk that they are trying to move production to Miami Fla.
Old March 16, 2017, 07:16 AM   #28
hemiram

The Rossi r92's in .357 come in in bunches, and quickly sell out. A friend of mine had to wait quite a while for his. Unlike most of the ones I've seen in the past, it has zero issues and even the loading gate was easy to use and didn't cut his finger.
Old March 16, 2017, 01:02 PM   #29
jackstrawIII

If it's not dead... it should be.

There's just no reason to buy from a manufacturer with such a bad track record of reliability when there are SO MANY good affordable options out there. It's just not worth it.

Friends don't let friends buy crappy guns.
Old March 16, 2017, 03:16 PM   #30
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

Taurus is most likely sold out due to high demand. Thay have a tendency to steep up prices beyond their value but still the LGS has gotten lately more Taurus from the USA and they seems to have hold their last price even gone cheaper.

That shoul mean demand is very high and each inported lot of guns is sold rigth away.
Due to wages have fallen in the US and people overall are poorer so they demand the Taurus brand instead of american or italian 800$ guns.

Sounds reasonable?
Old March 16, 2017, 03:34 PM   #31
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

The market for Taurus in homeland Brazil must not be so big since they have lots of gun restrictions in Brazil.
For Semiauto all calibers beyond 380 acp are forbidden and for revolvers all calibers beyond 38 spl and rifles beyond 44-40 is not allowed to buy for civilians, to have nor to export.

A normal civilian can have only up to 380 acp in pistol caliber. 38 spl is the upper limit for revolvers and I believe even +P 38 spl is not allowed. They do not ship guns over those legal calibers to other Southamerican countries like Colombia (export restrictions). So it is not unusual to see importers import 38 spl lever action rifles and ream the chamber out converting the gun to 357 magnum (and thats how they sell it as well stating on the barrel 38 spl but sell them as 357 magnums).

To the US Taurus however ships all calibers.
Old March 18, 2017, 12:18 PM   #32
Glockgreat23

I know Taurus is constantly getting crap for reliability issues, but I have two 809's and have yet to have a single misfire despite many different types of ammo used. I really like these guns
Old March 26, 2017, 10:43 PM   #33
oldcabin

Ok, here's my take.
Go back about a year. I'd like a small inexpensive 22. Something to have while out on the tractor brush hogging and such. No big $$ ,nothing too nice. Old H&R maybe, figured I'd start looking around. I already knew about the horrible 9 round taurus 22 revolver reliability and trigger pull.
I happen to see a online review of the all new Rossi plinker 2". All steel, great review, I figured I'd try it. Wasn't in the Rossi online products listening, but Gallery of guns had a listing. Email when in stock. I did. It came up again, and I bought -$292 or something like that.
Now, they don't even show the model period. Any barrel length. I didn't see a single Taurus available on GoG last I looked. I really like the one I got, but why is it no longer available??
I don't think any other major manufacturer has stock issues like these, do they? Political runs on guns aside, Taurus seems to be kinda different.
Old April 14, 2017, 06:40 AM   #34
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

Some pistol models of Taurus like the 24/7 and 8xx something, got halted the production by the brazilian military.

This you can see in this video https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o_tECPwQ2Bo

The brazilian army controls the guns produced and detected Taurus made changes in the trigger without allowance on current models.
Since those guns are all used by the police and military as well.
This was in 2016.

They fire without sqeezing the trigger or fire at all.

Seems Brazil has prohibited to import Glock pistols and others to protect their domestic gun manufacturers.

At least my new Taurus PT 92 afs works and has a good fit and finish.
Old April 14, 2017, 10:08 AM   #35
JoeSixpack

Bud's is notorious for having large numbers of guns out of stock and will never come back into unless (new old stock), they put them in the system and never take them out.

What you're seeing in the Taurus section is a lot of discontinued models.
the metal pt22's, the older 1st gen millennium pro's (succeeded by the g2's)
The pimp version 92's, 100 and 101's, 917, etc

the list goes on.

Some years back Taurus started cleaning house.
Taurus had a problem of producing to many models imo.
With that said they didn't just clean house but introduced a bunch of new models.

Problem is I look at half their catalog and honestly can't tell the difference between a few of the lines.

They've also made a pivot towards polymer, even retro fitting the pt22 which I think was a bastard move.

They also discontinued a lot of models I wanted just could not buy yet.
I am actually a big fan of Taurus and yes they have had problems Im not blind.

But they have a lot of interesting guns, Their 92 series run really well and actually prefer it over Beretta, although the cost on these have creeped up to near Beretta pricing which is a bad move imo.

I just picked up a 709 for 185 shipped to and out my dealers door.
So there are plenty of Taurus out there if you're looking.

If you're having trouble locally try online, gun.deals (formally slickguns)
The Taurus longguns on the other hand have always been a bit of a rarity (at least locally in my area)
Old April 14, 2017, 10:28 AM   #36
peggysue

Taurus makes good guns. Look at the other gun Manufactures in Buds. Ruger s the only one with a bunch. EVERYONE else only has about 1 page or less. Manufactures are cutting back. It is business. Ruger is trying to dump its old 22 auto for the new MK 4 with easy take down. Of course I have been collecting for over 45 years and have one of anything. But what do I know? Lot of opinions out there From Experts like Glockgreat23,VoodooMountain,and jackstrawIII .

Last edited by peggysue; April 14, 2017 at 10:44 AM.
Old April 14, 2017, 11:31 AM   #37
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

Its actually an interesting thing I did not know.
The video states that if the brazilian Taurus makes a similar gun as an foreign manufacturer then the military/governement stopps all imports from the foreign brand and by now you can't get any Glock or Beretta 92 in Brazil.

Obviously you are screwed if the domestic gun makes then "click" instead of "bang" or fires a few Police officer suddenly in the leg if dropped like in the video.

Last edited by TheGuyOfSouthamerica; April 14, 2017 at 01:18 PM.
Old May 1, 2017, 12:19 AM   #38
rock185

I suspect it's just high demand for cheap guns in popular formats and calibers. Cheap seems to rule all for a Huuuuge, as the Donald would say, sector of the gun buying public. I always tend to bite the bullet and buy at least very good perceived quality, rather than as many features as possible at the cheapest possible price. I have slipped a time or three, and always regretted the results. Within my humble experience, much more often than not you actually do get what you pay for......ymmv
Old May 6, 2017, 06:30 PM   #39
wild cat mccane

OP here.

Since purchased a Taurus 66 in the last few weeks. Using the gun aggregating websites, I still think there is a production problem. From when I purchased to a week later, the stainless 66s dried up.

Something is going on when compared to other retailers who are failing over themselves with rebates...
Old May 7, 2017, 09:29 PM   #40
Yung.gunr

I do see a lot of TCPs and 709s, but I think that may just be because that's more of what interests me. I have both and really like them both. The 709 had some bugs that Taurus worked out on their dime. I do like their designs and they seem to be more innovative than other companies. Yeah, there's a lot of misses, but there are misses with all manufacturers.

At any rate, I for one hope they don't go away.
Old May 18, 2017, 09:21 AM   #41
Paladin7

I guess the question for me is why?

There are plenty of folks who have never had a problem with their Taurus firearm, but there are also a huge number of folks who have...just google Taurus QC. That's a poor track record in my book and to me, completely unacceptable for a defensive firearm.

Why buy a Taurus when there are plenty of new and reasonably priced used S&W and Ruger Revolvers out there not to mention the huge number of semi-auots from quality manufacturers that have a much better track record for reliability.

If you want to buy a range toy, have at it. For me, any mechanical device can fail, but when it comes to handguns that I might have to defend my life or the lives of those I love with, I want the best quality I can get....YMMV.
Old May 18, 2017, 12:10 PM   #42
peggysue

Sure Taurus is out of business..
Old May 18, 2017, 06:47 PM   #43
44caliberkid

There are plenty of all models of Taurus revolvers at any gun show I go to. And I go to all within a 3 hour drive. I'd love to find a Tracker 627 at "dried up" prices.
Old May 18, 2017, 08:01 PM   #44
kmw1954

Brother has just purchased his second, a PT809 and I'm looking at buying my second. Also know that I don't want to be the one standing in front of my PT92 when the trigger is pulled.
Old May 20, 2017, 08:03 PM   #45
PT-92

Many different variables in the Taurus production equation right now ranging from ownership changes, turmoil/corruption in Brazilian Economy, mandated safety recall, etc...Company is not, however, going anywhere and for in-depth analysis of topic I would recommend visiting the http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/.
Old May 20, 2017, 09:26 PM   #46
Berserker

Not sure if it has anything to do with it, but there a problems in Brazil right now.

I am just not interested in buying guns from Brazil. Its not asain country, and probably holds not political threat to us, just no interested.

Local gun store said they quit selling them, to many warranty problems. GF 22 jams alot, but being a semi auto, maybe just need to find the right ammo, I didn't want her to get semi auto. After the jams, she quit firing it and its collecting dust.

Guns sell fast these days. May have slowed a little since the election, maybe not.
Old May 21, 2017, 01:26 AM   #47
JoeSixpack

Who owns Taurus these days? Many moons ago S&W had a stake in the company but I dont' think so now.

Taurus does have a branch in FL it's small I think, I'll have to check my 709 to see where it came from, I think the 738's are made in florida though.. maybe if trouble in Brazil is keeping Taurus from exporting other guns they could expand Florida...

This might increase prices though but then again the 738's which im pretty sure are made in Florida are pretty cheap even so.
Old May 24, 2017, 07:03 AM   #48
Buckeye!

As mentioned Taurus is going through some legal issues .. Brazilian Government issues that is ....
They seem to be focusing on PT111, PT709, PT738,the curve, M85,M605 certain Judges & the PT708 ..

They lowered the prices on some of the models and now you see S&W offering rebates on there fine Sheild line.... Thanks to Taurus ..

The PT709, PT738, PT111 and M605 are the models I own at this time .. all fine weapons ..

I really think they are stepping up to the plate ..
Old May 31, 2017, 05:20 AM   #49
PT-92

Quote:
Buckeye!

...They lowered the prices on some of the models and now you see S&W offering rebates on there fine Sheild line.... Thanks to Taurus ..

The PT709, PT738, PT111 and M605 are the models I own at this time .. all fine weapons ..

I really think they are stepping up to the plate ..
Great point that I hadn't really considered in terms of how and why S&W is virtually giving away their 'Glock 26' so to speak (I know it can't accept 30 rounders ).The Shield deal is so good (almost difficult to comprehend in that they're not Blem guns or the like) I picked up a couple figuring if I or family doesn't wind up using one I can move it for more than I paid at some point down the road. But yeah, Taurus is selling a LOT of their CCW models like the PT-111 (have one and it's a solid alternative to the Shield) which may be a variable in the insane Shield sale...
Old June 1, 2017, 08:31 PM   #50
Mike38

I just did a quick check at Gallery of Guns and took a rough count of Taurus revolvers for sale. >400 of various models and calibers. I did not count semi autos. Looks to me like Taurus is still out there.