The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old March 22, 2021, 01:34 PM   #1
Biggmatt

InterDynamic KG-9 9mm

Hey all,

An older gentleman gave me a Interdynamic KG-9 9mm that’s in excellent shape.
Stamped “Miami FL” W/Serial 01104. It has a matching forward grip making it an SBR. Appears to be removable with a screw on the forward grip.

I’m pretty familiar with guns in general but never seen or heard of this. Can anyone tell me what I have and worth? I did some basic google searches but I wanna see what the experts have to say. There was also a handwritten bill of sale dated to 1986 transferring ownership to the gentleman who gave it to me. He said he only shot it once and put it away.

(I cannot upload a pic as I’m using my phone and it said “failed” when I tried to add the attachment).
Old March 22, 2021, 02:07 PM   #2
dakota.potts

I'd advise you to get a lawyer, if the transfer didn't involve a Form 4 and registration under the NFA.

A forward grip would make it an AOW, not an SBR, unless a stock was attached also.

Doing just a little bit of research, it seems that they are somewhat desirable on the collector's market because they fire from an open bolt position that the ATF now considers to be a "machine gun", but semi auto open bolt guns that were sold before that time are still able to be owned - in other words, they're not making any more of them so the price is going up.
Old March 22, 2021, 02:27 PM   #3
Biggmatt

I believe this is a pre ban model to the NFA Jan 19, 1982 but I would obviously remove the forward grip to make it legal to own. I saying pre-ban based on what I’ve read on serial numbers on these KG-9’s.
Old March 22, 2021, 03:40 PM   #4
ss1/G8RFAN

So back in the day, they were notoriously known to be easily converted to full auto so I believe they were forced to redesign it to a closed bolt. A few years ago I was at the range and a guy was at the stand next to me with one of them. This was the kind of outdoor range where you had to wait at least 2 seconds between shots or you would be accused of rapid firing and asked to leave the range. All of a sudden I hear a three or four round burst next to me. I look over and he is staring at the gun like it had just talked to him. I also noticed the RO looking over towards us. I ask him if he's shot that gun before and he said he just got it. I said it might be best if he gets it fixed or gets rid of it before the wrong person takes notice. They are also notoriously poorly made, so they've never seen much appreciation like MAC's but who knows now. BTW, a vertical foregrip on a pistol is generally an AOW, not an SBR but also requires an NFA stamp. Sooo, don't put it on.
Old March 22, 2021, 04:32 PM   #5
Biggmatt

My error for writing SBR when in fact it’s an AOW. That grip is definitely coming off and will be kept with the gun as it’s an original part. Thanks for responding just trying to
Figure out date per serial # but the company went out of business years ago so it’s hard to find much info.
Old March 25, 2021, 11:01 AM   #6
dogtown tom

Quote:
Biggmatt.....just trying to Figure out date per serial # but the company went out of business years ago so it’s hard to find much info.
The "K" is for George Kelgren (KelTec) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Kellgren
He designed it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interdynamic_MP-9
and
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TEC-9

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE