The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 14, 2018, 12:44 AM   #1
RED_beard92

Lightest Smallest Center Fire Pistol

I have been looking around for an extremely small lightweight center fire pistol for a backup gun. I am leaning towards the Kel-Tec P32 as it seems to be the lightest thing out there. I know Seecamp makes one smaller but it is far heavier.

I have even considered going with something of a .25 Auto but all I have found are steel framed making them heavy.

Please don't turn this into a "Just carry one big caliber and an extra mag discussion" but please let me know if there is another pistol that I may just be over looking?
Old February 14, 2018, 07:39 AM   #2
arquebus357

The only two featherweights I would consider would be your Kel Tec P32 and the Ruger LCP's. I would put no faith in ANY .25 Auto.
Old February 14, 2018, 07:57 AM   #3
Siggy-06

Kahr CW380, Keltec P3AT, Beretta Pico, Ruger LCP.
Old February 14, 2018, 08:53 AM   #4
Screwball

Yea, the LCP pretty much would be the gun I would put into your running.

.25s can be smaller, but I’ve seen some have more issues than rimfire guns. If you are going to that caliber, the Berettas are decent. My father has one in .25, and don’t think he has issues with it. The DA versions are a little bigger/heavier... just don’t remember comparing it to an LCP.

The LCP shines in thinness. Makes it a great pocket gun, but in IWB or on an ankle, it is a great option.
Old February 14, 2018, 09:56 AM   #5
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_beard92
I have even considered going with something of a .25 Auto but all I have found are steel framed making them heavy.
The Beretta 950 Jetfire has an alloy frame. I have one, and it absolutely runs like a top. Very reliable gun.

FWIW some Beretta fans prefer the 950 over the 20/21 because they view the DA/SA feature as unnecessary, and because the 20/21 are slightly larger due to the DA trigger and the .22LR chambering (a .22LR cartridge is slightly longer than a .25 ACP cartridge).
Old February 14, 2018, 10:07 AM   #6
HighValleyRanch

Seecamp is the smallest but heavier as you stated.
But they work great in good fitting pants, probaly will flop in light flimsy shorts.
Old February 14, 2018, 10:17 AM   #7
Charlie98

Quote:
Kahr CW380
That would be my choice... in fact, I almost bought one last weekend. Ergonomically, none of them are the best choice, but it just depends on what you want, and how well you are able to shoot it.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old February 14, 2018, 10:55 AM   #8
tallball

As far as I know, the smallest and lightest are the Kel-Tec P32, the Kel-Tec P3AT, and the various Ruger LCP models.

I own both Kel-Tecs. The P32 is slightly smaller than the P3AT, but doesn't really have sights and shoots the 32acp round, which I personally don't
prefer. The P3AT is only slightly larger, but shoots the 380acp and has more-or-less real sights. The LCP is a copy of the Kel-Tec in 380acp, but it's a Ruger and slightly larger.

They are all basically the same pistol and are able to be so tiny and light because they fire from a locked breech instead of being blowback (which requires a heavier slide). They are polymer-framed. I can carry them in a pocket holster easily in any pants pocket, and even in a largish breast pocket,

I've handled the Beretta Pico 380acp, and it seemed just a little bit larger.

I carry the P3AT sometimes. I prefer 380 to 32. It has been perfectly reliable, so I've seen no need to get a Ruger or Beretta instead.
Old February 14, 2018, 12:10 PM   #9
peterg7

According to the chart at Mouse guns p32 is only 2oz lighter than LCP fully loaded, .380 ammo is over priced but can’t imagine.32 is any better .

I don’t like the Kel-tecs because they don’t seem as ridged as an LCP so I’d vote LCP and live with two oz heavier and cheaper ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old February 14, 2018, 12:27 PM   #10
Cheapshooter

The P32 followed closely by the P3at and LCP.
The choice is do you have more confidence in the ability of the 380acp round to stop a threat. Then the slight difference in size and weight would lead you to the P3at or LCP. Also, some people seem to have a concern with what they call thr "snsppy" recoil of the 380 mouse guns. If that is the case for you, the 32acp chambered P32 would be your best choice.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old February 14, 2018, 01:44 PM   #11
RED_beard92

Op choice update

The main reason why I am leaning towards the P32 is because how light it is. I usually carry my Smith and Wesson Bodyguard EVERYWHERE I go. However with work sometimes being outside in the rain I am wanting something that is small and more like a tool than an actual show gun. I just need something that can ALWAYS be on me in ANY scenario to calm my paranoia.

I know its more apples to oranges but does the LCP really edge out the P32, as far as ergonomics, and reliability? (caliber difference aside)

Last edited by RED_beard92; February 14, 2018 at 01:52 PM.
Old February 14, 2018, 02:23 PM   #12
Screwball

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_beard92 View Post
I know its more apples to oranges but does the LCP really edge out the P32, as far as ergonomics, and reliability? (caliber difference aside)

Kind of hard to answer that...

Ergonomics... I’m not that familiar with the P32, but believe it locks back on empty. That is pretty much the main difference between the guns. Original LCP doesn’t lock back, the LCP II does. DAO semi-auto pocket guns. Until something new is introduced, you aren’t looking at huge differences.

Ergonomics do have another side... comfort. I’ve seen stuff from KelTec, while it does work, is the roughest version of a firearm I’ve ever seen. Ruger does usually come from the factory looking good... no flashing left from mold, and alike. For some people, that matters.

Reliability, both companies have great warranty service. If something goes wrong, they will fix it. You’ll get a lemon from either, but you do tend to see some leaning against KelTec. They aren’t a major manufacturer, but they do produce some different designs. I own two (KSG and SUB-2000), and both required a little bit of upgrading for me to get more out of shooting. A LCP, I could carry right out of the box... until I realized that my battery acid sweat would rust it quickly. Not really the gun’s fault... and if I carried a similar KelTec, I wouldn’t fault it for similar.
Old February 14, 2018, 02:41 PM   #13
Bill DeShivs

I was on the same quest as you years ago. The P32 is simply the answer.
Even the lightweight alloy-framed Browning .25 offers no advantage over the P32.

The only thing smaller/lighter is a NAA mini revolver
The P3AT is scaled up just enough to use the .380 cartridge.

The LCP is simply a copy of the P3AT. Ruger made the cosmetics better and made it heavier-not for any functional reason- but because people equate heavier with "better." 2 ounces becomes quite a bit when it's in your pocket every day.
Old February 14, 2018, 02:42 PM   #14
Jim Watson

I bought the P32 before the 3AT and clones came out. I don't see a reason to change.
Old February 14, 2018, 03:54 PM   #15
Groundhog34

Not the lightest but the smallest I have is a Rohrbraugh. DO NOT think of buying one made by Remington in 380. Look for the ones made in N.Y. in 9mm. Very well made. There is a Rohrbraugh forum.
Revelation 13:11
Old February 14, 2018, 03:59 PM   #16
Nathan

Quote:
Kahr CW380
That is what you want. Small, but with big sights and controls. It shoots like a larger pistol, but carries well in swimmies.
Old February 14, 2018, 11:20 PM   #17
kymasabe

I pocket carried a Kel-Tec P32 for over 5 years, put over 2000 rounds thru it, never had a failure, was a great gun. Sold it, regretted it, bought another one. I MUCH prefer the P32 over the P3AT.
Old February 15, 2018, 12:55 AM   #18
Fjblair

Like some others I pocket carry a P32. It is as small as I want to go.
Old February 15, 2018, 10:11 AM   #19
wild cat mccane

The CW380 is larger than the LCP. I owned both at the same time. The CW380 is also very square in shape. It sticks out more (visually and in comfort) than the LCP.

The DB9 is just a tiny bit thicker than the LCP and is the smallest 9mm being made. I didn't like the quality and trigger though.
Old February 15, 2018, 11:21 AM   #20
fourbore

Quote:
Please don't turn this into a "Just carry one big caliber and an extra mag discussion" but please let me know if there is another pistol that I may just be over looking?
You may have overlooked the SIG P238 in 380. I dont have any of the others mentioned to compare against. I do have a walther PPK/S in 380 and the SIG is much milder shooting. I would stay away from the blow backs.

The SIG is a quality gun with good sights (glow at night) and excellent trigger and alloy frame. It is considered a high end 380 and it may surprise you. If you shop hard at just over $500, I think it is reasonable. You can also get a SIG laser clip on. Not saying you need that, but it is available. Flush or extended magazine available. You should get one of each. HP and FMJ ammo no problem.
Old February 15, 2018, 12:42 PM   #21
Screwball

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore View Post
You may have overlooked the SIG P238 in 380. I dont have any of the others mentioned to compare against. I do have a walther PPK/S in 380 and the SIG is much milder shooting. I would stay away from the blow backs.

If a P238 is in the running, I’d check out the P938. It is slightly larger, but caliber does make the extra bulk worth it. Not saying one is better, but to definitely look at both.

The laser option is nice, but I’m more of a fan for the TLR-6. Rather have the light, as well.
Old February 15, 2018, 02:09 PM   #22
Bill DeShivs

The SIG P238 and the even larger/heavier P938 are not even in the same ballpark as the Keltec P32.
Even the Seecamp and it's heavier clone, the NAA Guardian are heavier guns-and they are blowback actions. Recoil is more severe than the locked breech P32.
The P32 is the only answer to the original post.
Old February 15, 2018, 02:27 PM   #23
Screwball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill DeShivs View Post
The SIG P238 and the even larger/heavier P938 are not even in the same ballpark as the Keltec P32.

Never said they were...

What I said was if the OP considered the P238, which was tossed out there, to also look at the P938.
Old February 15, 2018, 03:54 PM   #24
fourbore

I guess this post "Kahr CW380, Keltec P3AT, Beretta Pico, Ruger LCP" led to subsequent discussion. I had watched a youtube shoot out between the CW308 and P238. Hence my post. I know the SIG is not the smallest and it is not polymer frame.

I found this table with a comparison of all so-called mouse guns. None are clearly smaller than the P32. The P32 is lightest. The NAA Guardian is smaller but heavier. None of the antique or C&R vintage 25 acp from old days are included. The 380s are bigger.

The OP can set his own limits and consider those which qualify for consideration.

http://www.mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.pdf

Last edited by fourbore; February 15, 2018 at 04:27 PM.
Old February 15, 2018, 03:57 PM   #25
TailGator

I have a couple of P238s - his and hers. Great little gun, but not a lightweight.