The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 2, 2018, 05:24 AM   #1
Model12Win

Sling Swivels?

I'd like to install some basic sling swivels into the wood stock of my sporterized Mosin Nagant rifle.

Can anyone explain the easiest way to do this? Thank you!!
Old February 2, 2018, 10:09 PM   #2
Scorch

Get a smallish (1/16"?) drill and one the size of the minor diameter and another of the major diameter of the screw. Set up the rifle in a vise. Put masking tape on the stock where you are going to mount the studs. Find the center of the stock looking along the stock from one end. Put the small drill bit into a hand-held variable speed drill motor. and drill in 3/8"-1/2" perpendicular to the stock line with the small drill bit. Take the drill bit out of the drill and put it into the hole you drilled and check for squareness and centerline. With the small drill you can correct angle, location, and squareness to the stock line by just working the drill motor in the direction you need to correct. Drill to about 3/4"-1" depth. Once you have the squareness and centerline established with the small drill, you can move up to the drill that matches the minor diameter of the stud threads. Drill deeper than needed by about 1/8"-1/4" so you don't run into the bottom of the hole when screwing in the stud. Don't forget to relieve the mouth of the hole to just larger than the shank diameter of the stud so you do't break out wood when you screw in the stud. Put a punch or an Allen wrench through the stud hole and screw it in.
Old February 3, 2018, 11:36 AM   #3
ocharry

they also make a set of stud drills to do this,,,,everything is in one piece,,shank drill body drill and spot face

they work great too,,,they dont grab,,,so you dont have to worry about a drill bit grabbing the wood and sucking itself through

maybe uncle mikes makes them,,,i dont remember,,,,but i do know they work very well,,,comes 2 sizes in a set,,,,,these are for sling studs,,,not the old school swivels that just screw into the wood and are not detachable

ocharry
Old February 3, 2018, 02:12 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

A 1/16" drill will snap when you look at it. However, the size of pilot hole will depend on the quick-release swivel stud. You also need to be able to put that hole in the middle of the stock. Masking tape on the drill itself will do for the depth. Measure the length of the screw. You don't need special tools.
The Uncle Mike's "Auto, Single Shot Ruger Carbines" will do nicely. They use a #12 thread. That's a 5/32" pilot hole.
Old February 3, 2018, 04:32 PM   #5
wild willy

If you can get somebody to help you it will be a lot easier.They can check and make sure everything stays lined up while you drill.This is one of those things that’s easy to do easy to screw up too.
Old February 3, 2018, 05:13 PM   #6
jimbob86

Quote:
A 1/16" drill will snap when you look at it.
Quote:
With the small drill you can correct angle, location, and squareness to the stock line by just working the drill motor in the direction you need to correct.
Tryin' to hog out or correct the direction with a tiny bit is a recipe for snapping it off in the hole making bigger problems ..... don't do that.

All the sling swivel kits I have ever bought had instructions in them. Read and follow.
Old February 3, 2018, 08:35 PM   #7
Scorch

Quote:
A 1/16" drill will snap when you look at it.
Quote:
Tryin' to hog out or correct the direction with a tiny bit is a recipe for snapping it off in the hole
I make a living as a gunsmith. I admit, you have to use some finesse, but a good quality steel drill will not snap when you try to correct a small deviation. Unless you belong to the Bubba club . . .
Old February 3, 2018, 08:46 PM   #8
gw44

Nothing to it take your time, mark the spot you are going to put them in and install them !!!
Old February 4, 2018, 11:13 AM   #9
4V50 Gary
Staff

Put a washer on a long string and tie it to a stick. Drop the stick down the barrel and the string/washer will act like a plumb bob to find the centerline of the stock. Mark the centerline. You will install the swivel along that centerline (otherwise it will look like Bubba did it).
Old February 5, 2018, 09:13 PM   #10
Model12Win

Guys me and my peepaw did it! But YES, like someone above said... we used to small of a bit on the rear swivel and it BUSTED OFF () inside the stock!!!

It's okay, we got it straightened out. This thing is already as ugly as sin but at least the little guy has a sling now. Should make an ideal brush buster!! Only has a 16 1/4" barrel length and with much of the stock and sight assemblies off, it weighs very little. It wears an NC-Star pistol scout scope and is quite nice!!