The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 3, 2006, 02:57 PM   #1
Blowtorch53

>.35 Remington

Hi Guys,

I used to be a gun dealer and I've had many nice rifles in many calibers go through my hands over the years but I never had a .35 Remington of my own that I was interesed enough in to shoot...until now. I bought a Marlin 336C last week, topped it off with a cheapo scope, and shot it this weekend at the local range. Must say I was quite impressed with the accuracy and lack of recoil. This looks like this will be a great Texas whitetail rifle. I shot Remington 200 grain and 150 grain loads as well as the new Hornady Lever Revolution 200 grainers. I was surprised to find the 150 Remingtons to be the most accurate. Everything I have read says this is not the case. The Remington 200's shot good but the Hornady loads were not very accurate. (I found the same to be true with the rubber tipped .30-30 loads in my 23" Contender.) The 150's will shoot about 1" - 1-1/2" at 100 yard in this rifle which is pretty good for a cheap scope and old eyes.

I need some feedback from you pros about reloding this caliber. I've got a bunch of loading data and brass and I want to get started. I've got some National Bullet 180 grain TC hard cast lead bullets which I want to use for some reduced loads. These are not gas checked. I want to load them at no more than 1,500 FPS for plinking and target work. They have a good wide, flat nose. My new rifle has the Ballard type rifling and is not Microgroove.

Anyone got any ideas for a good fun recipe?

Thanks!

P.S. Next purchase...Marlin 444 & Marlin 1895 (.45-70). I like blue guns!

"Money talks...BS walks."
Old May 3, 2006, 04:14 PM   #2
Leftoverdj

http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm

1500 fps is probably optimistic. With plain base bullets, I found that accuracy drops off sharply long before then. Some rifles have done very well up to 1300 fps, but even that's not to be counted on. Almost everything will shoot well at just under 1100 fps.

You might want to go over to Cast Boolets and check out the group buys. They are doing a third order on a superb 180 RF GC mould. It's speced to run about .360 since Marlin barrels like fat bullets.
Old May 4, 2006, 11:58 PM   #3
Father'sSon

I gotta know.. How is it you got a Marlin with Ballard type rifling in 35 Rem? Up here in Canada Marlin's only come in micro in 35 Rem. Where can I find the ballard rifling?

Talk to the next liberal you meet.
Some of them just have not thought things through.
Old May 5, 2006, 10:18 AM   #4
BIGRED

35 Rem is a great cartridge, i use that for 90% of my Florida deer/hog hunting.
i prefer the 200 gr corelokt's. here is my load data.

35gr of Accurate 2230C, Win LR Primer, Vel 2150. sub moa groups @ 100yrds.
extremely accurate load with consistent Chrony readings.

DO YOURSELF A FAVOR...... get a good scope, i had issues with a bushnell & simmons cheapo scope. I put a Burris 3-9X40 and never had another issue. you can get a fullfield 2 for under $200. also get a good pair of see thru mounts that mount to the reciever. I have some close encounters with some Hogs and the see thrus come in handy.
Old May 5, 2006, 12:41 PM   #5
Blowtorch53

Thanks Guys for taking the time to reply.

Thanks Leftoverdj for the GMDR data. This is good stuff and covers a lot of calibers. Everyone who wants to shoot cast rifle bullets needs to see it. I took their advice and loaded up some 180 cast with 11.0 Gr. of H4227 which is supposed to be about 1,070 FPS. I am going to try them this weekend.

My rifling is Microgroove. The catalog says so and the rifle says so. I got the idea it was not used from some article I read somewhere so that's what I get for reading. Thanks Father'sSon.

And thanks BIGRED for the 200 GR. data. I am getting some bullets in from Midway and I'm going to try yours. I've heard that the 200 Gr. are the way to go for hunting.

Has anybody tried the Buffalo Bore stuff for the .35? It's some stout stuff!

Old May 5, 2006, 01:38 PM   #6
OBIWAN

Or check out the new Hornady line
Old May 8, 2006, 12:10 PM   #7
Blowtorch53

I have tried the Hornady Lever Revolution stuff in both .35 and .30-30. I could not get a very good group with either. The .35 was in my Marlin 336 and the .30-30 in a Contender rifle. 2" to 2-1/2" 5 shot groups at 100 yards. Maybe I just need to work with it more. The Remington factory 150 Gr. shot very well in the .35 and the .30-30 is always very accurate with a variety of other loads, just not the Hornady stuff. Look up the Buffalo Bore stuff on the web and you will see what I mean about HOT! buffalobore.com

I understand about good scopes completely. My favorites are Burris and Leupold in that order. I use them for serious stuff like real taget shooting and hunting. For just weekend messing around at the range and experimenting with new guns before fine tuning, I always use some of my take-offs from a trade to see how much potential is there...usually a Tasco scope. I have plenty of them on the shelf. Simmons is probably the worst scope I have ever used. They have a lifetime warranty...warranted forever not to shoot in the same place twice!

Old May 8, 2006, 06:16 PM   #8
Harley Quinn

The right sight for that gun is a good peep

My thought's are that you should get a good peep and forget the scope.
The gun and caliber is for brush and not long distance. It is a quick shooter and therefore the peep is the best. IMO

The best ammo is designed for the game you are after, you can load up some really neat stuff in the pistol rounds (bullets). The extra velocity and pistol construction makes them great for varmits and other type game. Good defense in the home.

The big game stuff is avaliable now if you reload. If not, you are going to be paying big bucks for the custom stuff.
I would stick with the copper jacketed with microgrove.

They have the rubber tipped now and that is neat. Better velocity and better flight with the "spitzer" bullet, with the rubber tip.

HQ