The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 24, 2000, 10:22 AM   #1
Sport

Several of us went together and purchased
primers in bulk. I just took delivery
of my share (ten thousand). It turns out
they are CCI. As we know, Dillon recommends
against the use of CCI primers.

Problem is, I can't return them.

I've searched the archives here and have read
posts from those who say don't and those
who say they do use CCI in their Dillon
machines.

I know the obvious answer would be to try
them. But since they are in sealed cartons
I figure I can sell them, unopened, more
easily if, indeed,there is a good reason NOT to use them.

In light of the conflicting reaction from
earlier posts here, what would be your
recommendation?
Old October 24, 2000, 12:13 PM   #2
Intel6

A few years ago a local gun store was selling CCI small pistol primers as a "loss leader" to get people into the store. It was an exceptionally great price and ofcourse you were limited to 1-2 thousand. When I mentioned to my wife how great a deal they were she stopped by and bought all they had because the sales guy didn't know they were limited to 1-2 thousand a customer. Oh well, may gain. All 15 thousand of those primers went through my Dillons. In fact I think I started using them in my 550's and square deal and still had some when I upgraded the square deal to a 650 so I used them in 3 types of Dillon presses.

I didn't have any problems at all with them and would use them again if I could find them as cheaply as I did before
Old October 24, 2000, 01:56 PM   #3
Casey

For me, the CCI primers (at least the large pistol primers) cause problems in the feed tubes on my SDB. I have had many feed problems with them, to the point that I buy Federal, Winchester or Remington if at all possible. However, if I have to use them, in reality, I will. They jam up more frequently, and mis-feed going through the tube. I have had to throw away several tubes, but that was in the course of running through thousands of them. And I may have not had the press adjusted exactly right, either.

Casey
Old October 24, 2000, 02:33 PM   #4
char923

I have used CCI primer for twenty years and for the last six years, I have used small and large primers in my Dillon 550 and have not had one problem with them.
Old October 24, 2000, 04:37 PM   #5
johnwill

I use CCI primers in my 550B all the time, no problems. Perhaps my press doesn't know what brand of primers I'm using, or it really ins't a significant problem. :-)
Old October 24, 2000, 05:05 PM   #6
Cheapo

Huh? Since when did Dillon put CCIs on a taboo list? (bought mine in the mid-80s...)

Since CCIs are reputed to be "harder" to light up than others, I thought they would be *recommended* to minimize the risk of that "hand grenade" problem of primer tubes, as reported by competitor Lee.

Never had a problem with CCIs. Those, and Winchesters, are all I've ever run through my Dillon.
Old October 24, 2000, 06:06 PM   #7
JHS

New 550 here,using CCI,no problem.
Old October 24, 2000, 06:42 PM   #8
BILLG

I have been through my XL 650 manual,looked at the instruction video and looked through every Blue Press I have and also went to Dillons tech section on their web site.I have NOT been able to find anywhere that Dillon even mentions primers by name brand, let alone where they tell you not to use CCI primers.I have used thousands of them in my 650 no problems. BILLG
Old October 24, 2000, 08:10 PM   #9
karlfitt

I have had no problem with the CCI rimers either.
The POTENTIAL for problems arrise because the CCI primers are longer by a thousandth or two.

Karl
Old October 25, 2000, 09:57 AM   #10
Sport

Got the information directly from
Dillon this week.
Called their tech support line.
I believe I spoke to Larry. An any rate,
he advised against using CCI. Said they
were often "out of round". He also said
They are harder/softer than other primers-
(can't remember which). He recommended
Winchester or Federal. I've read about this
on several forums. Dillon confirmed it.
Old October 25, 2000, 06:56 PM   #11
El Rojo

Don't listen to these guys. They are federal agents that are trying to get you killed. Those CCI primers will explode on contact with Dillon primer tubes.

Not all is lost. Brother in arms, I offer to take all of those assault primers off of your hands for no charge. I will pay for you to ship them all to me and I will ensure that they are all destroyed. Yes, out of the own goodness of my heart, I will destroy each and everyone of those primers one at a time. Let me know what kind you have as I can destroy both small and large of both rifle and pistol by running them through my specially modified RL 500B and then deactivating them one at a time through a very safe and time proven process of detonation.

E-mail me and I will happily take those man killers off of your hands. I have already disposed of numerous other CCI primers and I will do yours too.
Old October 26, 2000, 09:31 PM   #12
BILLG

Just received this e- mail from Dillon And I Quote. Current CCI primers are fine, CCI primers older than about 4 years ago had some spec problems.This quote was sent to me directley from Dillon.BILLG
Old October 27, 2000, 12:54 PM   #13
Long Path

Good to know.

I disregarded the "Taboo" admonision, and suffered a coupla MAJOR bind-ups, once upon a time, with lg. pistol.

Old October 27, 2000, 03:31 PM   #14
El Rojo

Don't be fooled! Send me your CCi primmers before a loved one is killed by these horrible devices of destruction. I can safely dispose of them through my Dillon and then destroy them one at a time with my Remington 700 or Glock. Don't delay. The life you save might be your own!
Old October 28, 2000, 09:34 PM   #15
Jay Baker

I've had a Dillon 450 since about 1982/3, and can't even begin to estimate how many thousands of CCI large rifle and pistol, and small pistol, mags and standards, I reloaded. Never once, have I had a problem with CCI. And it's quite obvious that my primers were a lot older than four years, too.

Can't answer for anyone else, but that's my experience with Dillon Vs. CCI.

J.B.
Old November 3, 2000, 10:20 PM   #16
viper45

thats ALL I use, I was using my Lee auto-prime, and had a plate of winchesters (they reccomend those by the way) go up, I had to pull about 20 pieces of plastic out of my hand, and now ALL I use is CCI, besides, they are cheaper than most others (I pay $80 for 10,000 at my gun store) and haven't had a misfire out of 1000 used.

------------------
Have you nuked a hampster today???
www.joecartoon.com